Author Topic: Kubrick Collecting Tips  (Read 11443 times)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: Kubrick Collecting Tips
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 09:10 PM »
They all fit.  The Han Carbonite won't fit looking at it straight on, but he does fit if you put him in at an angle.  If I remember correctly, IG-88 almost touches the top of the case.

ETA - I was talking about the Johnny Lighting cases, Brent.  Not sure about the other cases you posted, but they look similar to the JL cases and I would guess the dimensions are similar (being that are both made for the same type of product).

Thanks Mikey - I've got a JL case and I think that these are a bit "tighter" from the width dimension.  So if anyone could take the time to measure their widest Kubrick (other than Han Carbonite), I'd greatly appreciate it :)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 09:14 PM »
The Gamorrean Guard is just about 1-½" wide.

I also measure the JL case - 3-¼" tall x 1-5/8" wide x 1-½" deep, so all the Kubricks should fit in those cases, Brent.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 09:17 PM by Mikey D »
Common sense isn't so common

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2007, 09:30 PM »
The Gamorrean Guard is just about 1-½" wide.

I also measure the JL case - 3-¼" tall x 1-5/8" wide x 1-½" deep, so all the Kubricks should fit in those cases, Brent.

Well that's perfect.  Thanks again Mikey D!  I must have measured the JL cases wrong when I saw them.

POST EDIT:  I just went to re-measure and the JL case I have ("Gallery Showcase") was 1-7/8" wide.  I don't think the extra 1/8" matters all that much, as long as Gammo would fit, they should all be able to fit in those other cases I found.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 09:39 PM by BrentS »

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 02:53 PM »
Just in case some of you were interested, I was at TRU yesterday and asked if they had any more Johnny Lightning cases in stock.  They replied that they no longer have them in stock and they are marked as 'discontinued' in their system.  If any of you were looking to buy some in the next few months to cover Series 8 & 9, you might want to try and find these now as I don't know if they'll be available next year...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline evilalive

• Youngling
    • View Profile
A good Kubrick reference book
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 11:37 PM »
This is one good reference book i would recommand to get if you are really serious in Kubrick collection. It has listed all medicom kubrick release from 1996 - 2006.

Also, a nice kubrick website below but in Japanese.

www.kubism.net/TOPFR.html

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 5, 2011, 08:27 AM »
I know there were a few threads going around about display units (johnny lightning, protech, etc), so I thought this would be a good thread to bring back to the front pages. It may be a place to merge some of these topics-

The reason I went hunting for it is I started doing some kubrick shelf "clean-up." I have my OT kubs in a display with closed doors, so dust isn't much of an issue. But the PT kubes were on open shelves under the 400% bricks, and they were getting pretty dusty.

I didn't want to get individual cases for them, and I had a few model car cases I had been using for some sets (PT chases, the Fett series). I decided to do some hunting to see what else was out there.

Ebay wasn't too helpful, so I hit my local hobby shop. I found 1/24 display cases for $8.75, and thet work well for holding a series (6 figures or so). When I line the troop kubes up at attention, I can get 12 in them nicely (3 in front row, 4 in middle, and 5 in back).

The maker is imex, and they come with either black bottom panels or clear. They are stackable, so I went with black for the bottom one to put troops in, and then clear for a stacked unit on top with that series. This gave me 3 sets of 2 for the PT kubes (12 battle droids with series 8 on top, 12 phase 1 troopers with series 9, and 12 phase 2 troopers with series 10 above).

By using double stick tape, the figures really stay in place. So I can move the cases without toppling them. This way I can pick them up, wipe off the case, wipe the shelf underneath, and be done.

The cases are 9 1/2 inches long, 4 inches deep, and 3 3/4 inches tall. Size wise, they are also perfect for displaying the Max rebo band.

The one drawback is the mold process creates a dime sized effect in the middle of the top. Since I have them displayed closer to eye level, this wasn't an issue for me. But if you wanted to look down on them, it would be a slight distraction.

I also ended up with a display case as part of an auction some years back, and it has 3 tiered steps. I would have liked to have found more of them, but it was a japanese item with no manufacturer markings. There are some like it on ebay, but they are all smaller and somewhat expensive.

I'll try to get some decent pics and get them posted.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 6, 2011, 01:57 PM »
Dan I would love to see pictures of these if you have time to post.  I have been going the JL route, but there is finite supply and they obviously don't work for deluxe items or the Rebo band.

Thanks!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today