Author Topic: Show me Your Kubes!  (Read 143046 times)

Offline MikeT

• Jedi Initiate
  • Boba Fett?! Boba Fett?! WHERE?!
    • View Profile
Re: Show me Your Kubes!
« Reply #315 on: February 27, 2012, 11:31 AM »
Haha, if I had a car i would. (Smug New Yorker here.)  Too heavy to carry home and would probably cost hundreds to ship. Next time I walk past it I'll see if I can take it apart somehow.  :)

That's a parking meter right behind it so I'd say its about 4 feet tall. That thing in the bottom right is the base piece.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 27, 2012, 03:36 PM »
Where in NYC is this? I might have to see this myself.

Offline MikeT

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 27, 2012, 04:04 PM »
Went out to investigate it again on my coffee break. The first time I saw it it looked like each level had a flat tray with a little lip on the edge, but on closer inspection the levels are actually thin, deep slots, more suited to holding magazines or something I guess. Took some better pictures this time:

Photoshopped in C-3PO and the red lines to get an idea of the scale.

You can see that the clear actrlic panes would be in front of whatever you put in there. Behind them is a huge, one piece plastic "layer cake" with shelves about an inch thick. If it was just the white plastic layer cake with the acrylic panes removed, it might still make a good display, but since the shelves only come out an inch or so, not much breathing room. And it's all one piece so it's big and kinda heavy. Guess I was looking at it with rose colored glasses the first time.

Where in NYC is this? I might have to see this myself.

It's in Park Slope, Brooklyn. 4th Avenue and 16th St. It was there as of an hour ago. Somebody took the flat shelves that were on the ground in my first pic, though.

Offline MikeT

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 27, 2012, 04:54 PM »
Ah, heck. If you guys are still interested in this thing after reading my post above, I'll go back after work and wheel it home if its still there (I have a dolly somewhere) and we can figure something out. Lemme know.  :)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 27, 2012, 05:01 PM »
Pretty cool of you to offer that up.  When I first saw it I thought the plastic went over the top of each row.  So, like a layer cake, but entirely enclosed to keep out dust and such.  Still might make a cool display, but agree that it looks more suited to magazines or comics or something.  I'll pass, but thanks for sharing.  IT's interesting to think about different ways to display this stuff.  I am currently using JL cases, which obviously have no room for the Rebo Keyboard or the BAFs.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 27, 2012, 05:06 PM »
Brooklyn's out of my way.  ;) I just thought if I were in the 'hood, I'd check it out.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #321 on: February 27, 2012, 05:09 PM »
I am currently using JL cases

I am currently using zip-close bags and a rubbermaid bin.  It's really put a dent in the "WOW" factor people experience when they check out my Kuby collection... :(
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 27, 2012, 05:43 PM »

I am currently using zip-close bags and a rubbermaid bin.  It's really put a dent in the "WOW" factor people experience when they check out my Kuby collection... :(

:(
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 27, 2012, 06:23 PM »

You should post a pic, Jeff.  ;)

Offline MikeT

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 28, 2012, 08:59 PM »
I've been using these nifty boxes to store my kubs. Found them on yahoo auctions. They were the perfect solution for me since I like to just display a handful at a time and store the rest. So far everybody fits (gamorrean is a little snug.) The boxes have plastic loops in the back for wall hanging. I've been looking for the seller's listing as I want to pick up a couple more...I'll post the link next time I see them for sale in case anyone else is interested.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 29, 2012, 08:38 AM »
Those are pretty cool.  Are those just plastic dividers in the box?  Almost looks like an Acrylic in there.  Do you display them in the boxes like that or just use it to store them.  Pretty cool.

Offline MikeT

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 29, 2012, 09:38 AM »
It's a plastic tray that you can slide out (like an ice cube tray is the best way I can think to describe it), and then there's a thin sheet of plastic that you slide on top of that to keep everything covered and in place. I mainly just use them for storage, though sometimes I'll prop them up and display em for awhile. My only worry is if the materials are safe for preservation...

I forgot, Han in Carbonite doesn't fit, even angled.  :-\  If I could get this guy to make me a box with custom cutouts for the BAFS, speeder bikes, Han etc, I'd be all set.

Offline MikeT

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 3, 2012, 10:20 AM »
Finally got my death star scene set up. :D

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 3, 2012, 10:34 AM »
That's a sweet looking display Mike.

Offline MikeT

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 4, 2012, 08:51 AM »
Thanks Justin. I'm starting to wish I had the imperial lackey in there (despite earlier statements I may have made. ;))

I forgot to put in the death star trooper and the imperial R5D4. Any other death star-related kubs I'm forgetting?