Author Topic: Series 5  (Read 198833 times)

Offline nilito

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Series 5
« Reply #735 on: July 24, 2005, 12:30 AM »
Never mind.  I found him.  He's one of Vader's too.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Series 5
« Reply #736 on: July 24, 2005, 01:46 AM »
Yeah, its getting scary! Too many coming for my wallet to handle.

Seriously.  I would much rather have them release better and more imaginative figures more slowly, rather than pumping out sets that include some repaints.

I agree with you Matt. It's nice to see another TRU set come out but Medicom is rehashing/repainting Kuby's like Hasbro.  :-\

Another repaint Luke with Han's jacket/vest, repaint 3PO, repaint R5-D4, repaint Nien Nunb as a Sullustan Pilot and a repaint Wicket as Romba. They couldn't even change the hood and to top it off a bit of red to the spear!

Where's the other characters that have not been done? Where's the Jabba box set? Oh yeah, 2006 is just around the corner, save up guy's, Medicom is slamming us left and right with these Kuby's!  :-\

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Series 5
« Reply #737 on: July 24, 2005, 01:58 AM »
I think it's awesome that they're putting out another Toys R Us set.  Let's face it.  Last year's sold like hot-cakes.  And seeing another l'il set to add on to the collection, I'm getting excited again.  These little SW figures'll do that, I guess.

Disagree.  They sold like hotcakes in Japan in anticipation of big $$ in the secondary market.  But currently they sell for less than Dale and I initially paid, unless it's a high BIN or the reserve is high.  This is the same as the Target exclusive Hasbro figures.  Patience will be rewarded here.

This set does little for me.  Forgive me, but another Ewok?  That was necessary before so many other cool characters?  My personal bias aside, that's weak.  I may get the set down the road, but this is much like Hasbro's latest moves.  Any inkling I had of being a completeist is pretty much washed away here. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Commander Cody

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Series 5
« Reply #738 on: July 24, 2005, 02:03 AM »
Yeah. That ewok really does suck, doesn't it? You know, I think the only worthwhile one is Luke, to tell the truth. He looks really good, even though it would be such an easy custom. The others I could really do without. Series 6 better be awesome!

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Series 5
« Reply #739 on: July 24, 2005, 02:15 AM »
I think we're going to see more Ewok's Brent. Chirpa, Teebo, Lumat and Warok are left. Paploo, Wicket, Logray and Romba are now done.

I used to get excited with new Kuby's but this set just does nothing. I'll get it tho.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Series 5
« Reply #740 on: July 24, 2005, 02:18 AM »
I think we're going to see more Ewok's Brent. Chirpa, Teebo, Lumat and Warok are left. Paploo, Wicket, Logray and Romba are now done.

I know, but why?  Obviously somebody over there has a serious hard-on for them but it's not like there aren't ample selections of better characters.  Honestly, I'd rather see PT stuff than the rest of the Ewoks ::)  There's a shwack load of Imperials yet to do, what's wrong with those?  Or more Aliens? 

Oh well, more money in my pocket.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline bikeridetony

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Star Wars Carded Kubrick Website!!!
Series 5
« Reply #741 on: July 24, 2005, 02:28 AM »
Yeah set is lame.  The ultimate re-paint would have been the Tie Fighter pilot.  Same as the AT At Driver.  I guess the point is to not have to do too much work for the set.  It's super cost efficient for Medicom and they can get some more figs out.  This one will NOT sell like the last one, though.  Of course, we have to buy it.
Tony the Carded Kubrick Guy

http://www.ActionCardbacks.com

Offline scaryandy

• Youngling
  • Real Scary!
    • View Profile
Series 5
« Reply #742 on: July 24, 2005, 05:16 AM »
Just to clarify an earlier question . . . The original 'vintage' 400% Boba (Bounty Hunter exclusive) retailed for the same as the new ESB version is gonna go for . . . 6,090 Yen!

The TRU 2 set is kinda lame . .  . they did the same repaint deal with a couple of Marvel sets last year . . . . it always feels like a 'filler' until the next proper series is launched! It's a bit of a let down when the first TRU set was made up  of such cool characters.

Gotta buy 'em though!  ;D

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Series 5
« Reply #743 on: July 24, 2005, 06:37 AM »
Ugh.  Bad timing to release a set of all rehashes right now, what with a lot of folks up in arms over Hasbro doing much the same with the 4" line right now.  The Luke's cool, and I'd be happy to take each of these repainted Kubricks at some point on down the line, sprinkled into various series or boxsets, but just not all at once, and not all right now.  Gives me a bad feeling that the once amazing Medicom is starting to fall prey to the evil seductions of an inferior product that turns a quick and easy buck, like what Hasbro has been going for of late.  Not what I would expect from the formidable Kubrick line.  I'm sure they'll eventually bounce back from this set, but it's the first real blemish on an otherwise amazing line...

:) It was funny reading those first few posts back in 2002. I don't hear many "cute" and "gorgeous" references any more. Just sighs and groans about the current prices. $85 for and Earlybird Set!!  :o I remember selling quite a few for a $95 but you'd be lucky to get one for $120 now.  Matt, you are the original Kubrick King, for your foresight, rather than the size or your collection. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

Heh!  :P  I suppose I dug these cool little things before most folks caught on to them, but I think we're all in the same boat of Kubrickaholics now.  Man, that seems like one hell of a long time ago that I started that first Kubrick thread here.  ****'s sure blown up since then, eh?!  8)

Hey Matt, what are you missing thus far in your Kuby collection besides the new series?

Missing the 3 obvious ones: Carded Fett, Sandtrooper & Vader
Missing openers of Droids Fett, Holo Leia, Rebo boxset (have carded/boxed sets though)
Missing Chase Logray and Vinyl Jawa
Missing Series 4

So I'm kinda lagging right now.  Really need to get those Series 3 chases, so I can focus on finding on a nice deal on Series 4.  Glad I waited on the new ones though, since they're really starting to drop a lot over the past week...

Offline nilito

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Series 5
« Reply #744 on: July 24, 2005, 08:58 AM »
Let's not forget they're making TWO series (4 & 5) this year.  The previous series were all done once a year, were they not?

Maybe they were originally gonna make some of those series 5 'bricks as the year-end Toys R Us set, but they figured they'd get more chances to make chases this way.

I think they're already doing a lot of Star Wars this year.  Ceremonial Luke, that white 'threepio' and Ten Nunb make it worth the effort for me.  That black 'R5' repaint is just gravy.  :)

Also they're probably gonna announce another Medicom club exclusive in the vain of the Speeder Bike and Max Rebo sets.  It'll be expensive, but that one I'm sure will be all original.

PS. And are we all sure that that's Romba?  That kinda looks a bit like another Wicket.  With the classic Kenner color paintjob.  A little bit darker.
:)

Offline Sithbaker

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Krackbrick Addict
    • View Profile
Series 5
« Reply #745 on: July 24, 2005, 09:01 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5989138642&category=48972&rd=1

Yet another one from the Logray tree in Madsontoys backyard   :-\
Adam

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Series 5
« Reply #746 on: July 24, 2005, 10:25 AM »
Not sure how i feel about the box set. Luke seems to be the best one. I really wish it was a Jabba the Hutt set though.  :-\
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline nilito

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Series 5
« Reply #747 on: July 24, 2005, 10:31 AM »
I expect that they'll do a nice box set very soon.  One with Jabba, Salacious Crumb, (maybe) Oola, (maybe) Bib Fortuna.  Maybe it'll be the next Medicom Club exclusive.
:)

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Series 5
« Reply #748 on: July 24, 2005, 11:18 AM »
It is kind of ironic that just yesterday I was counting the number of Lukes made to see if they had caught pace with the number of Hans made in this line.  With the ceremonial Luke (TRU), Jedi Luke (5), looks like Luke takes the crown by far.

I am not going to be so quick to judge Medicom just yet about rehashes since they have the best modern line going (imo).  I collect no Hasbro product now so I do not have the same frustration with rehashes as most here.

Let's face it coming off a STELLAR series 4, just about anything Medicom could do would be a let down.  I still can hardly wait to get my chase Luke and Han in the mail and still need to solidify my Vader chase. 

I just spent a few moments looking at my Kubrick collection and all I can say is wow!

Best Regards,

DBK

Offline nilito

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Series 5
« Reply #749 on: July 24, 2005, 11:39 AM »
Hey, DaBigKahuna, are we the same person?  That's exactly how I felt collecting the Hasbros and that's exactly how I feel about my Kubricks.  :)

I was wondering: you think K-3PO will come with that accessory like the Hasbro one?  I think that would make it more than just another repaint, and would be great of them, imo.