Author Topic: MLB 2007  (Read 46018 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: MLB 2007
« Reply #135 on: July 12, 2007, 01:38 PM »

When did Pujols become such a bitch?  He whined and cried about not winning the MVP last year, too.  I don't remember him being such a whiner, but maybe I just hadn't seen it until the MVP thing.

Not to mentioned he certainly hasn't lived up to the #1 pick overall in fantasy baseball.  Bastard.

He's at .310  15 HR  52 RBI and 50 R, which obviously isn't bad, but I can't remember the last time a #1 fantasy pick was actually the #1 fantasy player in baseball.  Maybe Bonds a bunch of years ago in the glory years or ARod with Texas. 

Anyhow, Pujols probably should never be #1 just because he's a first baseman.  There's a ton of them who do, or are, putting up very good numbers.  Howard.  Ortiz.  Berkman.  Fielder.  Hafner.  Morneau.  Sheffield.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 12, 2007, 03:06 PM »
Personally for me... I think Peter Gammons represents MLB for ESPN. I really dislike the fact that Berman(ESPN posterboy) gets to bump Gammons annually for these events.

Berman is their guy though. He pretty much gets to bump anyone and be on most televised ESPN sporting events. I do get annoyed with Chris' nicknames and backbackback, he-could-go-all-the-way ect's
- come up with some new material already and mix it up-it makes it old and boring for me.

IMO Gammons seems to know his baseball stuff/while Morgan really becomes too opinionated at times and is mostly boring to listen to. My personal opinions of course.

DS

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 21, 2007, 03:38 PM »
Scott Olsen:

Eminem:

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 1, 2007, 12:51 PM »
8 homers by the Yankees yesterday.

Though I hate them, that IS impressive teamwork.
I wonder as to what was going through the opponents minds at that point...

DS

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 3, 2007, 12:00 AM »
It's not right.  Bonds breaking Aaron's record.

"I had a little kid come up to me and tell me he'd give the ball back to me," Bonds said with a laugh. "I said, 'Are you stupid? You'd have more money than your parents.'"

Methinks Barry is overestimating the value of that ball.  Unless of course he's planning on buying it back so he can keep it ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 3, 2007, 12:24 PM »
"I had a little kid come up to me and tell me he'd give the ball back to me," Bonds said with a laugh. "I said, 'Are you stupid? You'd have more money than your parents.'"

Though I'm no advocate of calling little kids stupid, and I'll certainly agree that Bonds has displayed more than his fair share of arrogant prickiness, I think his statement has some merit. Even if it has no possibility of fetching "McFarlane money," that ball's gotta be worth at least $50,000 to someone, probably more, and that's definitely more money than I have. That sure would buy a kid a relatively nice education.

Of course, I'll have to recuse myself from having any objective opinion, since I live and work just south of the Giants' ballpark.  :P

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 8, 2007, 12:07 PM »
I stayed up again last night to watch and see if Bonds broke the record....not disappointed this time.  I love baseball and am glad I got to watch it 'live'.  I am not, however, a Bonds fan (never was) and only wish Junior would have been healthy - I truely believe he would have broken the record first - hell, everyone still would be trying to chase him. 

As for the pre-recorded message from Hank Aaron - class act all the way.
Beth

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #143 on: August 8, 2007, 12:44 PM »
As for the pre-recorded message from Hank Aaron - class act all the way.

I agree, that was the only good thing about it.  I managed to click to the game just in time to see the HR, dumb luck I guess.  I still hate the way Bonds got to the record, but at least he won't hold the record for long... as long as A-rod stays healthy that is.  ;)

If Barry sticks around to hit another 150 HRs, then I might forgive the "cream and clear" years.  :-X
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 8, 2007, 04:59 PM »
I hate the fact that Bonds now holds the records for most home runs in a season as well as the overall home run record.  They are both amazing accomplishments, I just don't like that it's his name in the books.  There are very few baseball players that I dislike, but Bonds is at the top of the list.  IMO, I don't think that there has been one positive thing that he has contributed to the game.  Well, at least nothing that has ever been proven positive...

I can't wait until A-Rod blows the overall record away.  Hopefully I won't be waiting too long, especially at his current pace.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 8, 2007, 07:24 PM »

I can't wait until A-Rod blows the overall record away.  Hopefully I won't be waiting too long, especially at his current pace.

If he averages 40 HR a year from here on out (and he's 32 now), it'd take 6 1/2 seasons of perfect health.

It's possible, but these records endure for so long because it's hard for people to stay that healthy for that long.

I'd say he's got a 50-50 shot though.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 8, 2007, 08:59 PM »
Yeah, I know that it's going to be hard for him to do if he stays healthy and even harder if he gets injured.  But you never know, he could end up playing the field for a few more years and then go the Frank Thomas route and end up a DH when he's no longer able to make a contribution on the field.  Either way, I think he has the best chance of any active player.

For a long time I thought that Jr. was going to be the one that broke the record, but that was before the dark times... Before the NL...  Now I think that he's the perfect candidate for an AL DH...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 18, 2007, 08:56 AM »
**** off, Gagne.   >:(

On a happier note, the NESN/WEEI telethon that ran the last two days raised over $3.6 million for the Jimmy Fund and the Dana Farber Cancer Institute and that's 1,000 times more important than any baseball game.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 22, 2007, 10:23 PM »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 23, 2007, 02:30 AM »
Here in Dallas our sports radio station is called The Ticket.  The 12:00 - 3:00 show is called BAD Radio (Bob And Dan Radio).

Today I was driving around on my lunch break and they were completely going off on the Rangers road batting average.  They had some stats about how since 2000 the Rangers have the worst road BA in all of baseball.  They were saying that Rudy Jaramillo flat out sucks as a hitting coach but that everyone loves him and he's the longest tenured hitting coach in the league and yadda yadda yadda.  They were basically saying he should be fired.

Then the Rangers go out, that very night and put up 30.

I'd be willing to bet someone played that audio for them.