Author Topic: MLB 2007  (Read 46133 times)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: MLB 2007
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 12:03 PM »
I remember in the late eighties when Canseco was one of the hottest players in the majors (at least to a bunch of 10 year olds)...and he got what, 1% of the votes for the HOF?

I think it's great that the stand up players (those who act professional on AND off the field) get rewarded with HOF inductions over those who only wish to break HR records and bicep sizes.

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 10:43 PM »
 ???Yeah,but are they real or are they steriods? :P
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 11:18 PM »
I remember in the late eighties when Canseco was one of the hottest players in the majors (at least to a bunch of 10 year olds)

I was one of those 10 year olds.  Worshipped the guy.  Then it changed.  See below.

Canseco admitted it.  He juiced.  But he did it at a time when there were no rules in MLB against steroid use.  Of course, the laws of the United States of America always prohibited this behavior.  So, in essence, if MLB obeys the law it goes without saying that steroids were illegal in MLB as well.

Canseco is just a bitch though.  He stabbed all of his colleagues in the back for money.  He ran into money problems and sold off his MVP and World Series rings for money.  He wrote the book to snitch on all his friends for money.  He's been arrested multiple times for assault.  Illegal gun possession.  Criminal recklessness with an automobile.  He's just a big *******.

I had an autographed framed photo of him in my collection and I've taken it off the wall because I can't stand to look at him.  He's a disgrace.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 11:23 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 10:31 AM »
sold off his MVP and World Series rings for money. 

No ****?   Things must have been bad for him to have to do that...

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 10:33 AM »
sold off his MVP and World Series rings for money. 

No ****?   Things must have been bad for him to have to do that...

Canseco "rids himself of everything that reminds him of baseball"

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2007, 10:13 PM »

And speaking of steroids, I heard today that Sammy Sosa was working out with the Texas Rangers...  I haven't seen a photo of him since he left baseball in 2005, but I can't imagine what taking a year+ off to get the roids out of his system has done to his physique.  I just hope he's not back to being as small as he was during his first stint with the Rangers!
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2007, 04:11 PM »
I heard that Sosa was hitting quite well though.  Of course it's the minor leaguers I'd assume.  The thing is baseball never really had a strict policy on steroids so I can see why a lot of guys did it. 

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2007, 09:17 PM »
New caps!

MLB doffs wool caps, adopts new synthetic material

Retail price set at $32 for New Era's new model

BUFFALO, N.Y. — One question facing baseball this season: Will cooler heads prevail?

On opening day, the sport will doff the traditional wool cap in favor of a new polyester blend model designed to wick away sweat before it can stream down a player's face.

The change is part of commissioner Bud Selig's focus on boosting player performance, a Major League Baseball official said, and follows a general trend toward moisture-managing "performance" materials in sports apparel.

"We started to think, 'How can those developments be applied to our headwear?'" said John DeWaal, vice president of brand communications at New Era Cap Co., the Buffalo-based manufacturer that holds the cap contract.

Among early supporters of the new cap is AL Rookie of the Year Justin Verlander, who got a preview while shooting a commercial for New Era during the offseason in New York.

"They look exactly the same, they breathe more and they won't shrink," Verlander said. "The best thing is, when it rains, the hats won't stink like the wool ones did."

In broaching the change, New Era was well aware of the 100 percent wool cap's long-standing place in baseball history, DeWaal said. Aside from tweaks here and there — a switch from leather sweatbands to cloth in the 1980s, for example — this is the first major overhaul of the baseball cap since the current, six-panel model was adopted in 1954, he said.

"There's a lot of tradition in baseball and we couldn't completely go against that tradition so we always had that as a parameter," DeWaal said, "but we wanted to take as open-minded a look at this as possible."

Watching Street sweat

Steve Vucinich, equipment manager of the Oakland A's, didn't think there was anything wrong with the old caps when he began testing the new ones with the team's pitchers about a year ago.

"This one is just so much better," he said after putting it through its paces atop Dan Haren, Joe Blanton, former UT star Huston Street and others.

The key is the new cap's ability to absorb sweat so that it can quickly evaporate.

"The heat is from the inside of the cap where your head is," Vucinich explained. "Before, it would just sweat to the band and it would drip kind of towards the bill but drip off there. Now the sweat goes out of the cap, even on top, and then it dries naturally."

And even though the new caps — minus the sweat rings — look and even feel just like the old ones, they are also designed to shrink less and fade less.

"If you watch a lot of baseball, you'll notice a number of different things on the players as the season progresses," said Steve Armus, vice president of consumer products at Major League Baseball. "Sweat stains, and you can't see it but they start to smell a bit, and also with certain colors they tend to bleed when the players sweat, so if you watch the Cardinals or teams that wear red caps, occasionally you'll see red bleeding into the white on logos.

"With these caps ... the water's not going to be absorbed into the headwear the way it is now," he said.

There are also some changes to the cap's underside. The piece under the visor, for example, has gone from gray to black to reduce reflection and glare from the sun and stadium lights. The sweat band, now of the new "performance" material, has gone from white to black for no other reason than it simply hides dirt better.

A batting practice cap teams are wearing for spring training also features "vapor management technology" to guard against odor, New Era said.

"By revolutionizing the cap, we're ensuring the players headwear provides the best performance while they play," New Era Chief Executive Officer Christopher Koch said.

Vucinich, for one, isn't worried about breaking with tradition.

"Uniforms have changed over the course of the years, not only just colors, but materials," he said. "They've been made more comfortable, lighter. ... As far as tradition and wool? It doesn't matter."

Nor is Detroit pitcher Joel Zumaya losing any sleep over the change.

"I didn't know about it, and I don't really care," he said. "I'd pitch without a hat."

$32 worth of comfort

Armus said the league is excited about the switch.

"We're proud to enact the commissioner's initiatives to bring performance to the field in a major way and really to make our players more comfortable," he said. "It's all about the performance initiative and this is the first major step in a lot of things that are going to be seen throughout the season which are really going to revolutionize our field."

But for the fan who might have trouble letting go, New Era will continue to produce wool models, though of the fashion variety, in non-authentic colors and styles.

The new caps will retail at about $32, up from the current $29, DeWaal said.

As someone who has worn New Era Authentic MLB ball caps almost exclusively for the past twenty years, I must say I'm awfully curious about these new caps.  In fact, my current cap that I've had for about two years now has developed quite an unsightly sweat stain above the visor.  Can't say I'm thrilled about the price bump, but if these new hats don't shrink, stain, and stink like the old ones, then I guess it's worth it.

Anyone seen them in person or tried them on yet?

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2007, 01:24 AM »
Am I the only one who gives a **** about these hats?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2007, 09:09 AM »
Sorry Matt, I've been away for a few days.

I have to say that this is the first I've heard of this and I am curious about how the general public will react.  I have an extensive White Sox hat collection and I'm not looking forward to having to replace these with new ones...

However, this is about the players, isn't it?!  Because when you're making millions of dollars a year, you're worried about how your hat absorbs sweat and the odor it gives off.  That is, unless you're sweaty Freddy Garcia.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2007, 09:26 AM »

I have to say that this is the first I've heard of this and I am curious about how the general public will react.  I have an extensive White Sox hat collection and I'm not looking forward to having to replace these with new ones...

Just wait until the end of October, after the Yankees win the World Series all of the other teams hats will be 1/2 off on clearance.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2007, 11:04 AM »
Just wait until the end of October, after the Yankees win the World Series all of the other teams hats will be 1/2 off on clearance.

Ah, Spring Training isn't even in full 'swing' and the trash talking is already starting...  I'm going to have to remember this post 7 months from now, but then again, I'm sure if they do end up winning, you'll remind us all about the prediction  ;D

I say good luck to all the teams and their fans.  Can't wait for the start of the season!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2007, 11:10 AM »
Nah, in reality I know that chances are they probably won't win.  But, there's no denying that they go into the season the favorite every year.  The chances aren't so great, but they still have the best chance of anybody.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2007, 11:41 AM »

With or without ARod?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2007, 12:35 PM »
I think ARod will be a Yankee all year, but if they don't win the World Series, or if they get bounced from the playoffs and he stinks it up, he'll opt out of his contract and hit the free agent market for 2008.

If he has an amazing playoff stretched, and the Yanks don't win the WS, I don't know what will happen then.