Author Topic: MLB 2007  (Read 46122 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: MLB 2007
« Reply #165 on: October 9, 2007, 02:35 PM »

You can't just fire him because his ace Wang blew his 2 starts against the Indians in a short 5 games series.  

How about 14 losses in his team's last 17 playoff games?  Is that a fireable offense? 
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 9, 2007, 05:21 PM »
No, just timely bad 'LUCK' in the playoffs....    ;) ::).

DS

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 11, 2007, 07:57 AM »
So, any predictions for the upcoming LCS's and World Series?

I think both series pit two very evenly matched teams and could go either way.  I don't think either one is going to be a short series.

Sox over Tribe in 7 (shocking, I know)
D'backs over Rockies in 7

WS Champs - Red Sox

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 11, 2007, 11:36 AM »
The Red Sox look unstoppable, but anything could happen. The Rockies also look pretty damn good, though.

ALCS:
Boston over Cleveland 4-1

NLCS:
Colorado over Arizona 4-2

WS:
Boston over Colorado 4-3

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #169 on: October 12, 2007, 06:49 PM »
Cleveland over Boston 4-3
Colorado over Arizona 4-2
Cleveland over Colorado 4-1

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #170 on: October 18, 2007, 04:49 PM »
Maybe this belongs in the Hot Stove League thread, seeing as how the Yanks have been out of the running in the 2007 season for a week or two now.  Oh well:

Torre turns down offer to return as Yanks' skipper
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #171 on: October 18, 2007, 05:04 PM »
I wonder where Torre will end up...  certainly somebody will end up signing him someplace.  I could even see the White Sox dumping controversial Ozzie for Torre. 

I also wonder how this will affect the A-Rod situation.  I heard/read something earlier in the week that they Yankees told Boras that if A-Rod opts out, then the Yanks wouldn't be a bidder in Free Acency or soemthing like that... sure would be interesting to see if he opts out where he ends up.  I'd imagine Boston, White Soxx, Detroit, and LA/Anaheim/California (whatever the hell they are called these days) all wouldn't hesitate to lineup to bid on A-Rod.

And, on a WS note - I'm all about the Rockies.  How can you not love a team that is on a streak like they are?  Plus, there is the fact that they ponied up some playoff cash for the widow and kids of the coach who was killed by the stray foul earlier in the year.  Very classy move.

Normally, I'd cheer for the AL, but I hate Cleveland.   >:(

And, on the off chance the Red Sox get past Cleveland, I can't cheer for them since I'm jealous of all the cash they burned to get to the world series.  (lots of irony to me that they essentially are now pretty much the same as the "evil empire" they claimed to hate  :-X

So, Go Rockies!  :)

ps.
I really hate Cleveland.   >:(
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #172 on: October 18, 2007, 05:14 PM »
I like to see teams who haven't won in a while win the whole thing.  Indians haven't won in sixty years, Rockies have never been there, period.  So I'm happy either way (provided, of course, the BoSox don't pull off another miracle comeback).  I am looking forward to seeing Grady Sizemore in the Series.

What's ****** up is that the Series won't start until next Wednesday night, no matter if the Indians win tonight or not.  So I'm kind of hoping that the Sox can win a couple--not only to make things more interesting, but also to avoid having this huge gap in between baseball games.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #173 on: October 18, 2007, 05:59 PM »
Boy, Manny Ramirez sure is a winner::)

I'd love to see the Sox go down this series. Then the Rocks finish their playoff sweep as the roll over the Indians. :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 05:59 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 18, 2007, 06:20 PM »
Boy, Manny Ramirez sure is a winner::)

I love how the media presents things just to have **** to talk about.  Here's the full quote if you or anyone else cares:

"We're confident every day," said Ramirez. "It doesn't matter how things go for you. We're not going to give up. We're just going to go and play the game, like I've said, and move on. If it doesn't happen, so who cares? There's always next year. It's not like the end of the world or something. Why should we panic?"

I don't have a problem with what Manny said.  What I do have a problem with is him showboating after the third back to back to back homerun, while still being down four.

(provided, of course, the BoSox don't pull off another miracle comeback). 

Not going to happen.  Do I want it to happen?  Absolutely, but I'm also a realist.  Other than Papi, Manny and Lowell, they aren't hitting and pretty much batters 6 to 9 are automatic outs.  Add to that that the starting pitchers can't get out of the fifth inning and it's a recipe for disaster.  These ain't the 2004 Red Sox. 

Torre turns down offer to return as Yanks' skipper

Good for him.  Torre is and always has been a class act and didn't deserve the way Yankees upper management treated him.  It'll be interesting to see where he ends up.  It'll also be interesting to see how this affects some of the Yanks big free agents - Pettite, Posada and Rivera.

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #175 on: October 18, 2007, 06:49 PM »
It'll be interesting to see where he ends up.
Kansas City. :P  As much as I'd love to see it it's about as likely as them signing Alex Rodriguez (but I'd take Torre over A-Rod any day of the week).

It's a shame that it came down to this for Torre.  The guy's a class act and a great manager that happens to work for a bunch of idiots.  Sorry, but if you win 1/3 of the championships over a 12 year stretch there's no room for an insecure future and/or a pay cut.  As much as I loathe the Yankees, the simple truth is they made it to the playoffs damn near every year and Torre didn't deserve the way management treated him.  I hope he finds a secure position in a good organization.

John

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 18, 2007, 07:57 PM »
As much as I loathe the Yankees, the simple truth is they made it to the playoffs damn near every year and Torre didn't deserve the way management treated him. 

Not "damn near" every year ... EVERY year.  The Yanks were in the playoffs every one of the twelve years that Torre managed them.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #177 on: October 20, 2007, 10:01 PM »
(provided, of course, the BoSox don't pull off another miracle comeback). 

Not going to happen.

You sure?

:o

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #178 on: October 21, 2007, 11:41 PM »
The ALCS is all but over.   

Nice comeback by the Sox, but, I gotta say, go Rox!

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #179 on: October 22, 2007, 12:07 AM »
Not going to happen. 

oops! go Sox!