Author Topic: Cloned Out?  (Read 11836 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Cloned Out?
« on: January 8, 2007, 09:51 AM »
I've been thinking about this topic for a little while, and after reading some responses in the "Final 22" thread in the TSC forum, I thought I'd post it here.  Is anyone out there getting a little "cloned out"?  Don't get me wrong, repaints of the super articulated clones are probably some of the few repaints that are welcome, but I think I'm personally getting to the point where I maybe have had enough for awhile.  I'm really looking forward to the Elite Corps/BARC trooper, the 501st/Appo troops (in both the Final TSC wave and Saga Legends assortment), the Neyo/Clone Bike packs, and the Galactic Marine and Airborne trooper in the first 30 AC wave, but after those are released I'm thinking I might be set for a little while.  Some of the EU/made up clones that have come out are kind of neat (I picked up Mace's squad), but others just haven't caught my eye enough to pick up I guess.  The one (and only, so far) time I saw Wave 8 at TRU, I had both the 442nd and 5th Fleet clones in my basket before putting them back.  I'm making attempts to cut back, and with my clone shelf already pretty full with those others (mentioned previously) on the way, I thought I could leave these out.  Like I said, if anything is repainted, I suppose its always good to have more clones - but is anyone else kind of getting enough of them at this point?
« Last Edit: January 8, 2007, 09:52 AM by Brian »

Offline CaptainYoda

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Cloned Out?
« Reply #1 on: January 8, 2007, 12:01 PM »
I am not necessarily cloned out. Probably because I am not an army builder.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 8, 2007, 12:13 PM »
My stance is that if it's a movie clone, bring it on.  EU, big PASS.

That pretty much sums it up.  I'm looking forward to the same 5 clones that Brian is.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2007, 12:14 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 8, 2007, 12:29 PM »
Cloned out is an interesting way to view it.  For me, I'm dwindling in interest in the newer movies' figures to some degree.  I think they're neat but the cynic in me can't help but think the marketing department somewhere didn't play a hand in the decision for all the variations in ROTS. 

Prequel trilogy managed to have stormtroopers, snowtroopers and scout troopers.  All largely white, variations based on need for a particular environment or need for a type of gear.  There were Royal Guards as well.  All uniform, all military and not particularly colorful. 

Clones didn't show up until AOTC (go figure) and we had white clones, with some color added as rank designations.  Kind of logical in some respects, though I think the subtlety of classic rank insignia on military uniforms of the real world are preferable and probably less target inducing than bright red, blue or yellow markings distinguishing a leader from the grunts.  But whatever, it's not reality. 

ROTS brought us the rainbow and all the colors it makes possible.  I'm ok with the deco on Kashyyk (spelling, sorry) it kinda made sense.  But what world required purple clones?  Not saying they look bad, not saying I don't own them, but why?  Did different regiments in WWII have different uniforms or were they simply different battalions, armies or whatever?  Dunno, but I can't help but think someone at Lucasfilm was meeting with the marketing folks and saying no, we'll give the commanders or whatever different helmets AND we'll give the different units different color markings.  THAT!!1! will give us a tool for marketing.  No easy customs, lots of variety AND hey, hey, this is cool...let's make two different sculpts, one basic, one SA and the geeks will clamour for both versions.  Yeah, that's the ticket

What?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 8, 2007, 12:36 PM »
Cloned out is an interesting way to view it.  For me, I'm dwindling in interest in the newer movies' figures to some degree.  I think they're neat but the cynic in me can't help but think the marketing department somewhere didn't play a hand in the decision for all the variations in ROTS.

Good point Brent, and that plays a large part of it for me too.  When looking at ways to scale back, the idea of dropping (or strongly cutting back) on prequel movie stuff often comes to mind.  Really, after the next wave of TSC, and the first wave of 30 AC, I may just be picking up main character resculpts (Qui Gon, TPM/AOTC Obi, Padmes) and maybe some miscellaneous clones and Jedi.  We're finally getting a decent Mace, they've pretty much covered all the main "movie" clonetroopers (or soon will), and if I have to focus on background characters from one trilogy over the other, its definitely going to be the OT.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 8, 2007, 01:56 PM »
I'm cloned out on the #41 ROTS clone - I think we've seen that one enough this year. 

With that said, I'm still interested in OT Stormtroopers and other variations of troopers that involve new tools.

2007 looks great from that standpoint - so far, I haven't seen the #41 mold...but I'm sure it will show up in some form later in the year.

And don't get me wrong, it's still one of my favorite figures - it's just getting old.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 8, 2007, 02:26 PM »
I am..since middle of last year after seeing all the GB,GH,HandV repush from last year(still see 501, shocks,tank gunners and 41's on my shelf at WM now) all the exclusives including the battlepacks. :(

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: January 8, 2007, 02:35 PM »
so far, I haven't seen the #41 mold...but I'm sure it will show up in some form later in the year.

Your selective memory must be trying to block it out...  for sure the #41 will be back in the Saga Legends line:

2007 Saga Legends Clone Trooper (original RotS #41 repack)
2007 Saga Legends Shocktrooper (from Battle Pack, uses the #41 sculpt)
2007 Saga Legends 501st Clone Trooper (new repaint that uses the #41 sculpt)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 8, 2007, 02:45 PM »
 ;)

That and I don't pay attention... :)

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 8, 2007, 03:28 PM »
I talked about this in the final 22 thread as well-

As much as I like army building and displaying troops lined up, it is ridiculous (to me) to imagine getting 6-10 of each of these variations. Clones have now been cut back to a couple of each, tops.
I will probably make an exception for Barc and the Galactic Marine, since they are both in the movie and I have commanders for a sqaud of grunts.
Fewer and fewer of the other basic figures are making the cut as well. I am definately looking forward to some of the 07 troops, but my appetite for purchasing quantities of them has waned. I'm actually looking forward to buying LESS Hasbro in 07. And when those basic figures are pushing $8 each, it will get easier and easier.

Offline Ghost of QG

• Jedi Initiate
  • Pimpin' the Midwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 8, 2007, 03:51 PM »
Don't get me wrong. I love the Clone Troopers. I didn't army build any OT Imps, but these clones are addictive. With that being said, this influx of clones in the last two waves of Saga 2 and the first wave of TAC is hurting my wallet in a major way. I love that fact that Hasbro is starting to make what people want, but I think they need to set a limit of one army builder per wave.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 8, 2007, 06:40 PM »
I like the movie based army builders the best.  Although I do like some that are "just off camera" like the blue stripes one in the Final 22 wave.  I don't mind the Commander Appo with the shoulder pauldron since I want an SA 501st and that works for me if I take it off.  Hell I like it with the pauldron as well.  I did not go for the SW exclusive or the Target one that was black and grey.  Oh and I did not care for the Mace Windu set either and some others. 

It just depends on what hits me as cool I suppose.  It's kind of hard to resist them IMO.  I don't buy multiples of to many though.  Just the OT imperials like stormtroopers, sandtroopers, biker scouts, Gunners, and some of the ROTS and AOTC clonetroopers that were in the film a lot like the Utaupau troopers, shocktroopers, 501st, Kashyyyk Troopers etc. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: January 8, 2007, 09:00 PM »
I can't speak for everyone, but so far the only things of the final 22 I'm seeing are the clones...  Namely, the 5th and 422nd ones.  I think maybe Hasbro is going to a well they need to let sit a while.  With "movie" versions of Clones out there at the same time, the non-movie ones are gonna take a back seat, especially when army builders are part of the equation (I think an underestimated one perhaps at this point).  I mean, given the choice I know I'd get more of Appo (or even the lame 41st repaint) than more 5th or 422nd's... 

Not to say I don't think those clones are cool, they are neat looking, but having no basis hurts them at retail I think, where the ultimate decision is made.  I see less of the black R5 or battledroids than I do fo the Clones...  Only Kit and Maul seem more abundant, and rightly so...  You can get Maul for pocket lint if you want I think. :)

Clones maybe are something Hasbro should ease off on a little bit by not going to the EU/Made Up realm so heavily right now...  Hit me in a couple years when every movie clone is  done to perfection and abundance, and then I'm ready to build my 422nd Siege army, even with a commander for them if they wanted to do a repaint.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 8, 2007, 09:43 PM »
It could be just my area, but I don't think any stores in the St. Louis region ever keep clones on the shelves very long.  At TRU, Walmart, Target, etc. - they all have a lot of other figures warming pegs.  The clones simply sell out a lot faster than figures like Endor troopers, Palpatine, Rep Been, R2D2, and the like. 

So I see nothing wrong with them putting a clone or a Stormtrooper in just about each wave... they always sell (heck, I think clones might even sell faster than Stormies... which is scary).  I'm not saying that I love every clone that comes out, but as long as they are of a good sculpt (even if the paint scheme is EU and aren't too funky), I'm ok with it because they aren't clogging shelves/keeping new product from being put out.

;) 

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 8, 2007, 09:52 PM »
im cloned out after galactic marine, but i can sure use some more rebels right about now.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!