Author Topic: 24  (Read 72516 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: 24
« Reply #180 on: May 21, 2007, 10:46 PM »
So I'm watching this show for the first time this season. . .

. . .and thus My Great 24 Experiment has come to an end.

Jack may (or may not) be returning next January, but I don't think I will.  I can probably find better, more productive things to do with my Monday nights. . .

. . .like drinking.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 22, 2007, 08:13 AM »
You have more willpower than myself.  I only lasted five episodes before I gave up on Jack.

I thought I read somewhere that he signed on for a couple more seasons - or was that just the show in general?

« Last Edit: June 7, 2007, 05:01 PM by ruiner »

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 22, 2007, 10:41 AM »
He did sign for at least two more "days" and they said that they are going to reinvent the show....somehow
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 22, 2007, 10:55 AM »
Hopefully, they re-invent it. The last 24 hours I'd like back... it was the weakest season so far. And to think I wasn't going to watch until they brought Alexander Siddig into it.

The good things i can thing of were a cool first 4 hours (the bomb going off in some suburb of LA) and Jack kicking the crap out of Fayed.

Other than that, the plot was weak. I think they had too much going on in one day to keep track of.
My complaints:
-Why make Graehm a wuss-boy? They could have had him be the main baddy and then introduce Philip later as the "puppet-master".
-Too many crispy faces in the last 2 hours (Doyle and Cheng).
-Nadia's weird love triangle.
-Killing Curtis to save Dr. Bashir, only to kill Siddig's off a few hours later  >:(
-No mention of ex-Pres. Logan's death in the media or by another character.
-Audrey. (and why is Sec Heller still in office... usually these positions get changed, especially when it's a different party in power).
-CTU's vulnerability

Oh well. there's more, but I'm sure you all know by watching. At least we have until January until the next "day" starts... whether the fans'll be there is another story.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 22, 2007, 06:22 PM »
I personally liked the way this season ended... I didn't expect to see Buchanan live, so that was a nice surprise to see someone survive for once...

As for the confrontation between Jack and Heller, I loved it.  I thought the tension was fantastic, and really sometimes words can be more powerful than anything else.  So, to me a good ending to what was a season that wasn't the best by any means - but to be honest, I think it would have been very hard to surpass what happened in the past few seasons... expectations were just really high.

Also, I liked how it ended without another tramatic ending in terms of an impending crisis... I think it kept it more "real" without having it end with another lead on to next season... gives them some room for a new plot for next season I would think... but somewhere down the line ( Season 7 or 8 ) I think we'll see a big run in with the Chinese.

:P

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #185 on: May 23, 2007, 03:48 PM »
You have more willpower than myself.  I only lasted five epsidodes before I gave up on Jack.

Yeah, well, being that this was the first season I've ever watched, I figured I'd give it a chance and see it through to it's conclusion.  Besides, it could have gotten better.  (It didn't, but it could have.)

My biggest gripe (and one of the same problems I have with the prequels) was probably based on how connected everybody seemed to be--especially regarding Jack and his brother and his dad.  Or with the presidents--what are the chances of two presidents of the United States coming from the same family?  No way the American people would go for that in this day and age.   :-X  Just didn't seem very realistic to me.

Anyway, there's some talk of them overhauling the show next year, and I've read people speculating (hoping?) that means they're gonna do away with many of the non-Jack subplots around the White House and CTU, to focus more on Jack just kicking ass--a smaller, more-personal story.  I could probably go for that.  But if it's anything like this year. . .  feh.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 03:52 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 23, 2007, 06:06 PM »
i would really like just one season (day) of 24 where jack is working for ctu (or cia or whatever) and does not need to go rogue and does not have someone interferring all the time.  that has been my biggest gripe since season one.  can jack not get a promotion to "division" or a 00 number or whatever so that no one will tell him "no" or arrest him during a crisis? 

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 23, 2007, 07:04 PM »
I forget, but wasn't he once Director at CTU... Season 2 or 3??

The last season of 24 should be Jack director at CTU, glancing at the clock, bored off his ass because there's nothing going on... for 24 hours! The only crisis is what salad dressing he should have Chloe get for him at Applebee's, and the fact that Kim's pregnant and how he wants to be a good grandfather.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 7, 2007, 04:45 PM »
I agree 100% that I didn't like there being two presidents from the same family, but then again, we're on our second president already from the Bush family, and there's a chance it will happen with the Clintons.  So it's not unplausible. 

I would totally love to see season 7 be more centered around Jack and not so much with the White House.  Maybe bring back Michael Novick into the picture somehow in Los Angeles.  I also would love to see Chase from Season 3 return in some capacity.

You guys who saw season 5, remember when Jack screwed over the French secret agent over the "wet list" - they seemed to leave that open to where that guy could reappear in some way to be a thorn in Jack's side.

I say they bring back this chick in a major role - Mandy - the only terrorist so far to live in several seasons - she appeared in Seasons 1, 2 and 4.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #189 on: June 8, 2007, 11:22 AM »
what are the chances of two presidents of the United States coming from the same family?  No way the American people would go for that in this day and age.   :-X

I agree 100% that I didn't like there being two presidents from the same family, but then again, we're on our second president already from the Bush family, and there's a chance it will happen with the Clintons.  So it's not unplausible.

Thanks, Professor.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 11, 2007, 11:05 AM »
Professor Travis would like to point out that unplausible should be replaced with implausible.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 11, 2007, 03:49 PM »
And also, John Adams and John Quincy Adams: the trend that started it all.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #192 on: June 11, 2007, 04:22 PM »
Of course, there was also Andrew Johnson and Lyndon Johnson, his son; and perhaps the most famous presidential family of all--the Roosevelts--from which two of our best presidents came:  Teddy and his little boy, Frank.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 23, 2007, 12:43 PM »
From -

http://tv.yahoo.com/show/28479/news/urn:newsml:tv.ap.org:20070722:tv_fox24

The United States will have a female president next year -- on the Fox TV series "24."

Tony Award-winning actress Cherry Jones will play President Allison Taylor when the show about the exploits of counterterrorism agent Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) returns in January for its seventh season, the network announced Sunday.

Jones' term will coincide with Democratic Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's presidential bid, but Fox Entertainment Chairman Peter Liguori said fiction and real-world politics will not intersect.

"It's a dramatic decision. ... The president is a very important piece of '24," Liguori told The Associated Press. "We've had a broad array of presidents on the show; why not a female president?"

The series has been an Oval Office groundbreaker before, with Dennis Haysbert playing President Palmer, the nation's first black president.

Asked whether Fox would scrutinize scripts for potential election-year political content, Liguori said that, as with any show, "24" will be looked at "from a dramaturgical perspective, not a political perspective."

Series co-creators Joel Surnow and Robert Cochran and fellow executive producer Howard Gordon have always kept real-life politics from the show, he said.

"'24' took place in an election year in the past," Liguori said. "How you see Joel, Bob and Howard articulate drama is telling on how they deal with politics. The two are separated."

In a February article in The New Yorker magazine, Surnow described himself as a rare conservative in Hollywood. But show producers say they hold a variety of political viewpoints and deny "24" takes a solely conservative approach, the magazine reported.

Jones, winner of best-actress Tony Awards for "The Heiress" and "Doubt," has appeared in films including "Ocean's Twelve" and "The Perfect Storm" and has guest-starred on TV shows including the White House drama "The West Wing."

Liguori and newly appointed Fox programming chief Kevin Reilly appeared Sunday at the summer meeting of the Television Critics Association to discuss the upcoming TV season on Fox, owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp.

Liguori said he wouldn't call the past season "disappointing," when asked about the fact that "24" failed to gain a best drama series Emmy nomination last week after winning the award in 2006.

He said he admires the "creative courage" of the producers as the show "re-sets the table each season" with a new story. "It's fun to see them spit-ball ideas," Liguori added.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 23, 2007, 02:12 PM »

I know at least Chewie is with me in taking great comfort that Hillary will never be President.  You can take that to to bank.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda