Author Topic: Defender Wishlists 2007 Discussion  (Read 13600 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Defender Wishlists 2007 Discussion
« on: January 22, 2007, 11:23 PM »
I've been trying to figure out what to do with the Wishlists this year...

Since we don't have the whole year announced yet, hopefully we'll know more after Toy Fair, it may be dumb to start soon.  But then again, I usually like to give a good 2-3 weeks for each movie.

Also, if you notice on the main list only 1 figure from Episode I, 0 from Episode II, V or VI have been announced officially yet (although there are some strong rumors)

Do we make the new Wishes the same as the old wishes?  Do we take the confirmed figures off the list, bump them up and vote for the spots left.  ie Since there are 5 ROTS figures confirmed, we vote for 5 new figures instead of 10 and they go behind the first 5. 

I'll also add EU this year...even though its not real Star Wars :-X
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 10:03 AM by OCB »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Defender Wishlists 2007
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 11:08 AM »
I always love these topics, OCB.  Here's my two cents:

-Wait until after Toy Fair.  We're bound to see a few things that may be on the previous year's list, and waiting until after that will eliminate the need for some people to go back and edit their own lists.

-In the initial post for each movie, post the winners of the previous poll along with what has been produced and what has not.

-Post a link in the initial post to the previous year's poll so that people can easily go back to the old thread and copy their list if they haven't changed their minds about their choices.  But definitely give people the option of changing their minds from last year.  Give them the full ten.

-A Clone Wars specific poll might be interesting in addition to an EU poll.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 12:18 PM »
I think we should do it like before, a list from each film.  I think the link back to the previous lists like Nicklab suggested would be great, also.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 12:29 PM »
I think we should do it like before, a list from each film.  I think the link back to the previous lists like Nicklab suggested would be great, also.
Yeah I do that each year so that's not a problem.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 03:52 PM »
I agree with Nicklab. I enjoy doing these things and it's nice to see what has been done or what others want.

I know that we usually do the top 10 from each movie (plus EU), but I even enjoyed the "Who's Left..." versions as well. Maybe we could do scene specific never-been-done polls as well like with Jabba's Palace, Cantina. This could open up more fun in the meantime with Who's Left from DS I, DS II, Prequel Senate, Separatists, Outlander Club, Bespin, etc.

So maybe we could do the movie top 10s after Toyfair and do some scene specifics to fill in the time.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Defender Wishlists 2007: Discussion Thread
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 10:43 AM »
My list is probably going to be really annoying given that all the figures are coming from the same thing, more or less...

01.  SA Obi-Wan Kenobi in Clone Armor (CW Volume I)
02.  SA Clone Scuba Trooper (CW Volume I)
03.  SA ARC Trooper-Red Version (CW Volume I)
04.  SA ARC Trooper-Yellow Version (CW Adventures Comics)
05.  SA Captain Fordo-Battle of Coruscant (CW Volume II)
06.  SA Saesee Tiin in Space Armor (CW Volume II)
07.  SA Asajj Ventress (CW Volume I)
08.  SA Obi-Wan Kenobi in Clone Armor (CW Volume II; not the same as above)
09.  IG Lancer Droid (CW Volume I)
10.  SA Whiphid Jedi (K'Khruuk? sp?) (CW Volume I)

I would argue that Clone Wars is not EU. Is there anyway we could get an actual Clone Wars top 10 list as well? That would make the EU list more true to expanded universe and still allow us to vote on Clone Wars figures we would like. Just a thought?  ;D
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 11:38 AM »
I really like the idea of a Clone Wars List and then a separate EU List... then I could include more KOTOR characters, and Dark Forces too.

:P

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 12:04 PM »
I would argue that Clone Wars is not EU.

Personally, I think anything beyond the movies is EU.  Just my 2 cents.  :)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 12:36 PM »
3 things...

#1 I agree with Jesse, anything outside of the movies is EU (and so does LFL)
#2 we don't have time
#3 people have already listed CW stuff here

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 04:05 PM »
I really like the idea of a Clone Wars List and then a separate EU List...

Clone Wars is EU.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 04:56 PM »
If I didn't know that, do you think I would have picked some Clone Wars characters in my EU list?  ::)

Anyways, it's just almost it's own entity of EU and in terms of Hasbro's interests, it's probably bigger than the rest of the other EU stuff combined.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 05:41 PM »
Scott and Jesse are right...  It's a nice thought to get a double EU vote, but Clone Wars is EU by LFL's definition of what is EU and what isn't.  So CW goes in with it I'm afraid.  I think Hasbro looks at it more favorable because it was more in the public eye than other EU forms due to it being on TV, and being so popular on TV, and being fairly recent... 

I didn't vote for CW because it seems to be more on their radar, so I went with sources that I find more interesting and less likely to get the attention I think they deserve than CW will.  Everyone should vote for what they really want though, and if it's all from one source that's up to you entirely.  I wanted things that fit in with the films or complemented each other, so that's my logic in voting I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 06:03 PM »
I consider the Clone Wars as EU without a doubt, just gets more attention from Hasbro.  Makes perfect business sense for them to capitalize on the interest fans and kids have of it.  I know there's a lot of stuff from the Clone Wars that I'd buy even though not much was on my list...

I do think Hasbro considers the Clone Wars to be its own entity though to a degree.  As we know they made a subline marketed directly with Clone Wars in mind... to me not really with it being EU to them.

With SAGA2, the EU characters that Hasbro considered to go with the Clone Wars were still labeled as Clone Wars, not EU -

But by the same token... EU characters that weren't in the Clone Wars were simply defined as "EU" -

Therefore... I can see the viewpoint of considering Clone Wars and EU different categories.

And just for the hell of it, Vader's Droid - which I consider EU, was labeled as ROTS -

Anyways, I don't really care what the hell they call them. I just want Hasbro to make figures that I like.   ;D

« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 06:05 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 09:57 PM »
So would SOTE and Force Unleashed not be EU?  Or the 1998 figures which weren't marketed as EU?  Like I said, LFL has its "rule" on EU pretty entrenched and it covers CW and everything else not in the films...  I think a marketing strategy doesn't take CW out of the EU realm...  Hell they call CW figures EU in Q&A's and such so I think they just market them as Clone Wars because the CW series was much more in the eye of the public than the other EU...

SOTE was marketed the same way, as it was intended to be in the public spotlight on various levels and be a big hit...  It wasn't.  Force Unleashed is the same attempted marketing strategy, but it's still EU like the Clone Wars is/was when it was the multi-media blitz from Hasbro, that's all.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 10:04 PM »
I would think the 1998 figures would be considered to be marketed as EU by Hasbro since they say Expanded Universe on them.

When the 1996 SOTE stuff came out, I don't even know if the word Expanded Universe was really coined yet, but maybe it was.

I don't think it really matters though, it's just a word printed onto cardboard.   I'm just throwing examples out for the fun of it.  ;)