Author Topic: 30AC "Vintage" Wave  (Read 138149 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 30AC "Vintage" Wave
« Reply #495 on: June 4, 2007, 09:44 AM »
I saw these at Target last Friday, and they were sold out by the next day - even at the $11.99 price.  I noticed they had these at our Wal-Mart this weekend as well, which is where I picked up the majority of mine ($9.88 there).  At our store, they were in the prepacked displays as well (like they originally were last year), and were tucked away in the overflow from the action figure aisle (just a mismash of stuff stacked everywhere basically).  I don't know if anyone else had seen them yet, because everything was still there (the Father's Day packs were there as well).  They only had three of the cardboard displays out there though, compared to 10 or more with last year's wave.  Maybe these will be more limited, or maybe they just hadn't put everything out yet.  Things did seem pretty focused on Transformers this weekend.

I haven't opened them all yet, but I have a Hoth Han and Snowtrooper on the desk here.  I know many aren't thrilled with the Han, but I think the figure is pretty good - at least with the "hat" off.  I have noticed different paint applications on most of them though, kind of a "bleach" look in Han's hair.  Pretty nice wave overall again though.  Its funny, even though they weren't necessarily the best sellers, I think last year's wave and this year's have been more consistently great overall than some of the initial VOTC offerings (C-3PO is one example).  Anyways, glad to see them out, hopefully everyone can get what they need.  I will admit, the $10 pricepoint is starting to sting a little more, especially with the army builders.  Just put this Snowtrooper in battle packs and Legends assortments right away ;).

Offline AmanaMatt

• Youngling
  • Breakdance Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 4, 2007, 11:04 PM »
I love this wave  - here's a couple of pics:

(Hoth Han has come a long way!)

(not too shabby, either)
« Last Edit: June 4, 2007, 11:12 PM by AmanaMatt »
Waiting for you in my special place...

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #497 on: June 4, 2007, 11:07 PM »
Did you cut Han's hat down to fit it on?  I can't get mine on at all.  I really wish they'd gone with swappable heads...
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline AmanaMatt

• Youngling
  • Breakdance Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 4, 2007, 11:15 PM »
Did you cut Han's hat down to fit it on?  I can't get mine on at all.  I really wish they'd gone with swappable heads...

No, Han's hat is entirely the same - I take his neck thing off, pull off Han's head and fit the head/hat thing around the neck piece, and then place all of that back of the neck joint.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #499 on: June 5, 2007, 01:00 AM »
Matt, thanks for that tip, I'm gonna futz with that as I click post here...  Interesting technique to make a 100% better look, and appreciation, for the removable helmet.

I cannot wait for a hood for this guy though, honestly.  Be it a full head you pop on or whatever...  It's a must have for this figure.

EDIT:

Holy cow, that's night and day...  Thanks again Matt.  It's not an easy thing to pull off...  Takes a little fidgeting/working to get that hat's parts down in there. 
« Last Edit: June 5, 2007, 01:08 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline AmanaMatt

• Youngling
  • Breakdance Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: June 5, 2007, 02:13 AM »
Matt, thanks for that tip, I'm gonna futz with that as I click post here...  Interesting technique to make a 100% better look, and appreciation, for the removable helmet.

I cannot wait for a hood for this guy though, honestly.  Be it a full head you pop on or whatever...  It's a must have for this figure.

EDIT:

Holy cow, that's night and day...  Thanks again Matt.  It's not an easy thing to pull off...  Takes a little fidgeting/working to get that hat's parts down in there. 

Thanks, Glad I could help!  ;D  For most, try a Hairdryer - it will make the hood piece very soft and you will find this easier to do...! Now, the hood will limit movement, but it looks decent. I re-read what I said, and its confusing: for those that try this, make sure you pop Han's head off, pull the neck thingie off and then put his headgear on Han's head- then when that is done, (again, with the neck piece loose), stuff the headgear 'tailends' down into the neck piece, THEN place all of that back onto the neck joint! Its easy when done that way and if not, the hairdryer will solve all issues.

Here is my final pic with these two - I tweaked Han just a bit more - mainly, I cut off the excess brown plastic that lined the neck piece - that made it look sort of odd. I think he looks good with the lightsaber! I wouldn't mess with him.

Here is one last modification to make my Ig-88 look super dangerous! (I cut the end of gun off)

« Last Edit: June 5, 2007, 02:59 AM by AmanaMatt »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 5, 2007, 03:02 PM »
Finally found them at Wal-Mart today!  My patience paid off.  2 fresh cases on the shelves - so I also nabbed another 4 Snowtroopers.

Expensive habit.

Offline AmanaMatt

• Youngling
  • Breakdance Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 5, 2007, 11:19 PM »
Finally found them at Wal-Mart today!  My patience paid off.  2 fresh cases on the shelves - so I also nabbed another 4 Snowtroopers.

Expensive habit.

I am up to 5 myself - 1 carded, the rest loose. I have three Ig-88s, three Bossks and two of the rest!

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 6, 2007, 10:51 AM »
I'm seeing a lot more Hans and Leias than any of the others, which is weird because they are easily two of the three best figures of the wave. Weird.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline CaptainYoda

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 6, 2007, 11:21 AM »
My Walmart has a bunch of these, minus the Snowtrooper of course. And the first ten I looked at, all had the stickers cut out, already. I can't believe it. Some of the cases were just cut right open, and some looked a little better. But still, I stopped looking through the figures so I dont know if they were all like that or not. It is just really lame.

Offline AmanaMatt

• Youngling
  • Breakdance Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 6, 2007, 11:43 AM »
My Walmart has a bunch of these, minus the Snowtrooper of course. And the first ten I looked at, all had the stickers cut out, already. I can't believe it. Some of the cases were just cut right open, and some looked a little better. But still, I stopped looking through the figures so I dont know if they were all like that or not. It is just really lame.

As for such a stupid mail-away too.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 6, 2007, 04:07 PM »
I checked Target and WM today, and there wasn't a whole lot left of the VTSC.  Target was still sold out (from the first day they had them last Friday), and WM had 2 each of Han, Luke, and Bossk, and 4 or so of the Leia.  No IG-88 or Snowtroopers in sight.  I'm happy with what I've got so far, but I might pick up a few extras if they hang around for awhile this summer.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 6, 2007, 08:44 PM »
Found a bunch of these at TRU tonight.  They had each figure on its own peg - had to be at least 10 of each one.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 6, 2007, 11:53 PM »
I finally have one of each, but I got them all at Target and I feel slightly sore in the anal region after paying $12 each.  Needless to say, any duplicates will be purchased at the other stores.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline mr director

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 7, 2007, 01:04 PM »
Picked up Snowtrooper, Han, Luke & IG-88 at WM.  They had a few more Leias and Bossks so since I did not have anymore money I am holding out.