Author Topic: 30AC "Vintage" Wave  (Read 138133 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: 30AC "Vintage" Wave
« Reply #525 on: June 11, 2007, 01:32 PM »
The VTSC (including Snowtroopers) are currently in stock individually at HasbroToyShop.  If I hadn't bought so much recently, I'd totally place an order for a few more troopers.

Thanks Brian, I ordered 3, which brings my total up to 5 and I'm done.  Two from the case, when it eventually arrives and then these 3. 

This is the line that still makes sense for me to purchase out of the US.  On sale up here they are $10, regular $14.99 so just over $17 after taxes ::)  It's bloody ridiculous, considering the devaluation of the US dollar.  Ah well, it's done now.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: June 14, 2007, 11:15 PM »
So my box of these showed up from Newforce (shipping notice, who needs that?) and I popped them out of the box.  Since I'm in a pissy mood, I have a couple of questions, but some comments first.

They look really nice, I readily admit that.  I dig the vintage style cards and the cases are great.  The figures are, by and large, very well done.  I really like the snowtrooper and IG-88, both of which needed good sculpts done. 

But I'm not so sure we really needed the new versions of Bossk, Luke, Han and Leia.  Now don't get me wrong, I understand that Hasbro has quasi-plans of doing a sizable chunk of the vintage figures from Kenner in this style.  OK, got it, no surprise we're going to see those figures in somewhat short order. 

But here's my question: was anyone really, REALLY dying to get the four mentioned figures?  Didn't we just have relatively recent versions of all of these....
Leia in POTJ
Han on OTC?
Bossk OTC?
Luke on Saga1? 

Yes, I agree that they are all superior to their relatively recent predecessors but what's the point in holding onto their predecessors now (btw, does Luke's hand come off on the VTSC version?)  Didn't I just buy a blue and a brown coat Han not that long ago?  Didn't I buy 2-3 versions of Luke (bloody, metal peg, plastic peg)?  Is Leia all that much better than the General Leia figure with a TSC Endor Luke poncho slapped on her?  Did we need Bossk again so soon? 

I like them all and they are superior versions, but I'm kinda feeling "had" again by Hasbro here.  Why should I buy new figures in the standard line that are from the OT, aside from a wicked pack in?  I know the ultimate version is probably coming, at least if there's been a Kenner version in past, so why bother? 

Anyone else feeling this way, or am I being blasphemous fanboy again?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 14, 2007, 11:36 PM »
I dunno - I wasn't sold on Bossk at first, but after grabbing one, he might be my favorite of the wave.

And the Han IMO is far superior to any Hoth Han we've gotten so far.

Leia and Luke, not a huge need, but (as I ramble on and on about) since I hope they make all of them, I'm perfectly okay with them mixing in some less exciting figures in with the troops and more exciting ones.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #528 on: June 15, 2007, 12:34 AM »
I'm in the camp that, honestly, nothing short of what we got would've been satisfactory...

So for me, the Saga Hoth Han's always sucked and I've always said as much...  Same with Saga Bespin Luke.  Can't stand the pose on either figure, or the big tumor button on the back.  So I do find the articulation far superior and the sculpting...

The Bossk I'm probably biased on but again neither version of the figure previously was all that good by comparison...  The separate hoses, the articulation, etc.  IG-88's previous incarnations aren't even in the ballpark on accuracy...  The Snowtrooper has how many previous versions, and none hold up to this one again.

Leia, well...  I'm shocked anyone's actually happy with the POTJ figure and its massively odd crotch.  Again though I like the articulation...  I think the sculpt's vastly superior though.  If I have a complaint on her it's more that the poncho's a little large and not the greener shade it should be, and they just slapped the Endor Luke poncho on her...

I'm trying to feel less "had" too by keeping the Saga Hoth Han on my Taun-Taun for instance, or Bespin Luke is the only really damaged/post-battle Luke from Bespin so I'm keeping him hanging on his antenna.  Bossk...  eh, I'm retiring the others.  Same with IG-88 there, and Leia Endor.

I guess, to answer things in short...  Yes, I was really REALLY dying to get new versions, super articulated and detailed, of those characters.  And more yet...  Bespin Han, Hoth Luke, Hoth Leia, Zuckuss, Hoth Soldier... 

Not to say I'm happy with the vintage format being how we HAVE to get these...  If it is the only way we can, which it isn't, but when we do get them I like them...  If that makes any sense.  I'm happy with these, I'm happy to retire most previous incarnations...  I'd rather this than never to have gotten SA Hoth Han, SA Bespin Luke, SA Endor Leia, etc.  I really felt most of those were pretty piss poor toys.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 15, 2007, 12:46 AM »
Leia, well...  I'm shocked anyone's actually happy with the POTJ figure and its massively odd crotch. 

Well, I guess I'm just that oddball that spends remarkably little time looking at the crotch of an action figure, female or not. :-X

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #530 on: June 15, 2007, 01:25 AM »
It's a big crotch...  seriously.  Male or female, 3.75" scale or 1:1...  it's big.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 15, 2007, 01:26 AM »
(btw, does Luke's hand come off on the VTSC version?)

Yes.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 15, 2007, 01:27 AM »
Leia, well...  I'm shocked anyone's actually happy with the POTJ figure and its massively odd crotch. 

Well, I guess I'm just that oddball that spends remarkably little time looking at the crotch of an action figure, female or not. :-X

Too busy looking at the chests?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 15, 2007, 02:11 AM »
I think everyone would be thrilled with ALL of these if they are on regular cards and weren't costing us $10-$12 a pop.  I am beginning to hope that the vintage line only goes another wave or two, or takes a year off or something.

:P

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 15, 2007, 09:11 AM »
I'm with Rob in that I wasn't too thrilled about a new Bossk either, but like him, once I opened him, all doubts were laid to rest. I also think Luke and Han were both necessary; Luke being that the button is now gone and Han having a more neutral stance, both big pluses IMO. I'll let people have Leia in the argument of "was that one necessary," but I still think she came out really well.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 15, 2007, 01:08 PM »
Leia definately neccary, in the the VTSC line not so much.  Hasbro usually rereleases these in some form or other wether in a pack like the 3po in the 30th Tin or modified to release on basic card, sandtrooper & removable helmet.  Although they're releasing Fett & Biker Scout on regular cards without any changes it seems.  With this new set what/how do you think we'll see these again?  Could they release IG-88 in the white version?  Han in blue coat with hood up?  Luke less mucky version? 
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 15, 2007, 02:16 PM »
White IG-88, Hood-up blue coat Han, Hood-up Brown Coat Han, Luke w/new headsculpt, Purple Bossk from POTJ Plo Koon factfile, Leia w/new heads (and smaller helmets) to be 'Female Rebel Soldier.' I'd buy those, well, maybe not a couple but especially white IG-88 and blue hood-up Han would be very cool.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 15, 2007, 04:19 PM »
Leia w/new heads (and smaller helmets) to be 'Female Rebel Soldier.'

Forgive me if this comes off sounding misogynistic, it's not meant to be.  Were there any female rebel soldiers in the movie(s)?  I ask because a)I don't want/need that figure if it wasn't in the movie(s) in the first place and b)there are so many other figures I'd rather see taking up space in cases and on the pegs.  That would be the next Naboo dude for certain, IMO. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 15, 2007, 05:29 PM »
I don't remember seeing any female Rebels in the films, and I'm fine if they don't make any.  The only reason I'd even want one is because I like the snipers in Battlefront.

But, with how easy it's been to find VSTC Greedo and VSTC Han on clearance, I would think that Leia will suffer the same fate - meaning that if people want to make their own female Rebel Snipers from Battlefront, they'll probably get their chance pretty easily on the cheap.

:P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #539 on: June 15, 2007, 08:52 PM »
Leia w/new heads (and smaller helmets) to be 'Female Rebel Soldier.'

Forgive me if this comes off sounding misogynistic, it's not meant to be.  Were there any female rebel soldiers in the movie(s)?  I ask because a)I don't want/need that figure if it wasn't in the movie(s) in the first place and b)there are so many other figures I'd rather see taking up space in cases and on the pegs.  That would be the next Naboo dude for certain, IMO. 

There's some debate on it...  I've seen a female Rebel Commando production still, however I've not seen her in the film.  I've also seen a female X-WIng pilot getting cockpit scenes shot in a still but obviously she got edited out...  The rebel soldier could've just been a costume production shot and nothing more with no scenes shot.

Either way I'd take a new head on the Leia figure as a sniper I guess, but in general I'm just happy with Endor Leia and leaving it at that.  Battlefront figures, at least what we've been shown of them, are pretty weak efforts from Hasbro generally.