Author Topic: 30AC "Vintage" Wave  (Read 138169 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: 30AC "Vintage" Figures Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2007, 09:43 PM »
I'll start some color debates Jesse.  I'm a blue guy.   ;)  I bet you a buck they'll do both.  I have to believe there's some sort of hood up variation/accessory involved in this somewhere.  If not, I'll live, but I'd be shocked if they let that go.

The Snowtrooper suffers the worst from these grainy pics.  It's hard to tell what's going on with the mask (looks plastic to me, but toward the bottom, like cloth...) those legs are way too far apart, the skirt is a joke, but then it also looks very incomplete.  It's missing the belt and pouches, so maybe at TF we'll see a more satisfying version, kind of like with the Tusken Raider last year.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2007, 10:06 PM »
Pass on all of them. I would get the Snowtrooper, but I already have the TSC one.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2007, 10:41 PM »
That picture is great because to me it looks brown and I can see how it could be blue too...almost like the movie...until you get Han out in the sun :P

Someone did a good write up here about the whole color of the coat thing...ahh...Here it is

Anyone know if that thread is still alive anywhere at RS? 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 10:44 PM by OCB »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 10:51 PM by OCB »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2007, 11:05 PM »
Why would whoever was in charge of the art direction give all these guys white/brown outfits and then give Han a blue jacket? 

Makes no sense.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2007, 11:27 PM »
I couldn't give a crap about the color of the jacket.  I like the figure, I don't care about the color.  The sculpt looks worlds better than the Saga version, and no doubt the articulation will be a great deal better, too.  I really like the accessories, too.  I wonder if there will be a SG hood, or if it might be sculpted to be down?

I like the bounty hunters, IG-88 especially.  But I think we're going to have to wait and see about the articulation and how sturdy it's going to be.  Hasbro knows that we've had issues with the flimsiness of the Battle Droids, and I hope they're taking appropriate measures so that those problems don't resurface.  As for Bossk, I have to wonder "why?"  We got a very good version in the Saga Gold line.  I see that yes, there are some very nice details to this sculpt, but I think other bounty hunters might have been more deserving of a resculpt before Bossk.

As for Luke and Leia, I don't think we really have good enough images to say how good they are.  Luke is posed with his body twisted in such a way that I can't see enough detail.  Leia looks nice and all, but the poncho covers up the entire body and the helmet doesn't let you see enough of the head sculpt.  Based on the track record the Vintage line has, I think we're probably in store for some good figures, but it would be nice to see more of these two.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2007, 11:49 PM »
I think they posed Luke to try and match this shot:

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2007, 12:03 AM »

Just checking on Bossk here...

They sure cleaned him up real nice...lots of added straps and properly place costume accessories, redid the collar to match movie Bossk.  Saga Bossk and POTJ IG-88 are fine in my collection, I get why they did these because they are very popular characters and its a good way to keep the line going but it seems like a lot of work when there were probably better resculpt and just as popular candidates for the line:

Walrus Man
Admiral Ackbar
Wicket
Gammorean Guard

Just off the top of my head.  And not to confuse matters more but with the new Jawa, Death Squad Commander and rumored 4-LOM and Spirit Anakin, they are sort of getting ahead of themselves on potential down the road figures for the line.  Sort of a sticky wicket

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2007, 12:07 AM »
I think they posed Luke to try and match this shot:

Isn't there another shot out there of Luke, right as he's getting bashed by the debris?

That's what it looks like to me.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2007, 12:19 AM »
Pow!  Right in the kisser!

Then the classic shot being swept away like a dust bunny -

;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2007, 12:33 AM »
That link has me laughing out loud as I read it Scott...  My god.

First impression is, MAN people were willing to accept a LOT of ugly bull**** on their action figures around the 2002 mark...  There was a whole lot of love for what basically ammounted to an unleashed figure that wasn't a ton of fun to play with. :)  Sure figures were $5 or so back then, but I'm glad I waited to get old Han on clearance along with a LOT of 2002's lineup because that figure sucked hard.  I realize that now more than ever.

Here's a great quote though from the end...

Edited to make it abit clearer...

Ok this thread is about Hoth Han not Jesse so please take any discussion about Jesse to Wuhers, please remain on topic of Hoth Han's coat.

[ 01-15-2004, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: Bounty Hunter GNT ]

Awww man...  Greg(g)'s here, fun's over...  ::)  I truly am reminded why I'm here.

I think we should have a thread about me somewhere, that is indeed a novel idea...  I'm sure there's some somewhere, but you aren't allowed to see them as they probably aren't the nicest. ;)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2007, 12:38 AM »
Pow!  Right in the kisser!

Then the classic shot being swept away like a dust bunny

No, there's some other shot out there of Luke battling the debris--maybe it's just from the film, I don't know--but he fought off several pieces before the one knocked out the window.

Good try, though.

;)
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2007, 12:40 AM »
I know the shot you're talking about Matt, it's him at the ready I think right before the debris starting flipping about.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2007, 09:48 AM »
Paul, I was going to say the same thing about the pouches. The seem like too big of  detail to overlook. I'm going to guess that this will be corrected along with the skirt.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2007, 10:36 AM »
I've just been mentally digesting all of the new figure photos from all of the waves, so I'm finally composed enough to write something  :P.  I mentioned this over at RS, but it appears that the Snowtrooper kama may be the kind given to the OFFICER as opposed to the grunts.  The officer is the one that Veers gives the order to de-bark inside the AT-AT cockpit.  This is a scan of the officer- note the kama that crosses over the groin instead of originating behind the back:

You might notice that this variation has no pouches, and he has a rank badge on the upper chest armor.  The grunts DO have pouches, a kama that does not cross over the groin, and no rank badges.  The OTC version was made to represent the officer also- note the lack of pouches and the cross-over kama:

The Saga KITBASH is even closer to the vintage version, since it uses grunt legs:

« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 10:55 AM by Daigo-Bah »
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke