Author Topic: 30AC Wave 4 - Jabba's Palace  (Read 86776 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: 30AC Wave 4 - Jabba's Palace
« Reply #195 on: August 9, 2007, 02:29 PM »
I gotta say I'm disappointed in the bar curves too...  That's simply piss poor design on Hasbro's part.  They could've sculpted those so they'd be more accurate and there'd be no need for this discussion right now, but for some odd reason they chose to make it incredibly narrow...  A very frustrating feature.

I too will probably look into customizing an extra straight piece, but ultimately I thought the end of the bar was all curve, it was just a more gradual curve than what Hasbro delivered us.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #196 on: August 9, 2007, 02:52 PM »
Here how I'd go about making a new section:

Now to find a bandsaw.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 9, 2007, 02:53 PM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 9, 2007, 05:37 PM »
Hmmm, I'm curious now...where's that overhead pic from their QnA panel at SDCC showing the GH cantinas placed together.... I thought it was cool that it has lights and sounds..but what was that bar shaped like?

DS

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 9, 2007, 08:06 PM »
I guess it's ok that they're including it, but there shouldn't be a straight piece to fit inside.  The curve needs to be constant, something I did in my dio:

Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #199 on: August 10, 2007, 01:43 AM »
Be cautious what you cut with Jayson...  Plastic tends to melt unless you're cutting with the right blade.  It can do anything from catch on the blades to just really mess up the piece you're working on, or just curl back melted plastic...  They make plastic cutting blades for jigsaws.  Not sure on things like Bandsaws or Mitersaws though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 10, 2007, 10:00 AM »
If I do this I'm going to just use a hacksaw - and go slowly with it.

Last time I dremeled plastic, I had hot bits of it flying up into my face.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #201 on: August 10, 2007, 04:03 PM »
Exactly Rob...  Plastic tends to melt before it cuts really and takes a certain level of experience to get used to it melting instead of cutting properly.  I have a jigsaw blade made for cutting plastic and it kind of shaves it off in a weird way.  Still, it's good for cutting sheets but I don't know that it would cut something large/thick and complex shaped like the cantina bar pieces.

Like Daigobah said though, it's to be a gradual curve with no straight piece too...  That really sorta sucks on Hasbro's part that they didn't include a 3rd piece or a more accurate/large bar section.  It just isn't gonna look right to me I don't think.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #202 on: August 10, 2007, 04:14 PM »
So, I got all 4 of my wave 4 UGH cases today, which means I've got a full set of Wave 4 too.  ;)

Hands down, my favorites are the two Cantina Aliens.  I love Cantina aliens and these two are fantastic figures to go with the other recent additions.  Maybe not as much articulation as some would like, but they are great to me.  :)

Luke is pretty good too.  I haven't messed with him too much yet, but he seems pretty good - one thing I didn't notice in any of the pics so far is that he comes with a Lightsaber hilt tucked into that belt of his.  His hand being "battle-damaged" is a bit of a distraction though.

As for the rest -
- CZ-4 is very well done.  Lotsa articulation and a great sculpt and deco.   
- Umpass's legs are such that he is pretty much only good for banging his drum, but he has decent articulation in his arms.  Plus, his hat is removable.  Very huge figure too, bulky.
- Concept Vader is fine, just another Vader to me.
- Animated Fett is a cool concept too - great weapons and a nice kitbash of existing Fett parts with some new ones.

All and all, a very cool wave. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 05:14 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #203 on: August 10, 2007, 10:15 PM »
What is the Fett made of Jeff, I was under the impression he was just a VOTC repaint, but now I'm intrigued.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #204 on: August 11, 2007, 01:14 AM »
What is the Fett made of Jeff, I was under the impression he was just a VOTC repaint, but now I'm intrigued.

He is mostly the VOTC body, but he has new weapons, new belt/waist w/holster, new cape, and at least 1, maybe 2 new hands.  You can also see a few sculpt detail tweaks too (though those could just be a mold re-use issue too).   
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #205 on: August 11, 2007, 01:25 AM »
I didn't think about the holster and things...  I'm really looking forward to this figure a lot so that's neat.  REally this is the year of Fett, especially when you think of the upcoming Evolutions set too (whenever that was for).  Fett fans have to be satisfied at this point I'd think. :)

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 15, 2007, 09:56 AM »
Just curious, I know that a few members have gotten their pre-order cases from NFC, but has anyone found these yet at retail?  I'm not actively looking for the UGH's this year, I'm more interested in the new figures being released in this wave...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 15, 2007, 11:22 AM »
I've been looking everywhere, only to find a sea of Academy Biggs where ever I look. Man am I getting sick of Wave 3.  :P  >:(

The only UGHs I plan on getting are concept figures and Holiday Boba Fett. The rest are total passes for me.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 16, 2007, 09:23 AM »
Just curious, I know that a few members have gotten their pre-order cases from NFC, but has anyone found these yet at retail? 

There are only sporadic reports. Some from San Diego, some from Chicago, all at WM. They definitely have hit, but not en-masse
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline darthjaybay

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 17, 2007, 01:50 PM »
Has anybody found the new luke jedi?   I was just curious if you could take off that cloth vest and add a gloved hand from endor luke to make a Death Star duel luke?  Thats what im planning, just want to make sure it works.