Author Topic: All aboard! CHOO CHOO....heheheh  (Read 4456 times)

Offline TopJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • The Toy Whore!!!
    • View Profile
All aboard! CHOO CHOO....heheheh
« on: June 5, 2003, 10:06 PM »
Ok, how many of us on this board collect or play with model trains? from what I understand there are several people here at JD that do.....which I find unusual to be honest.

I don't have a layout just yet....but I am working on designing one right now.....I'm hoping to begin work on my layout by the end of the summer...funds permitting.

I mostly have HO scale trains.....but I have a couple sets of N scale also. I honestly only have what's considered department store trains.....with the exception of some AHM stuff that I bought in a collection this past weekend.

I know there are a tone of train manufacturer's out there......but for me and my current budget I can't really afford to go with hobby shop grade trains at this time.

I try to focus on more modern types of diesel engines like the GP40 and others..........

My parents are also planning to build a large display....and they focus on HO steam engines.....they have a ton of stuff already stashed like me....just waiting to break out and begin setting up.

Also, what's a good train site to hang out on?.........I'm also looking for a site that might show a ton of HO scale layout building plans......

Thanks, Brian
Brian AKA TopJedi
sniperman76@hotmail.com

Always interested in trading for Clone troopers,Battle Droids and other army builders

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: All aboard! CHOO CHOO....heheheh
« Reply #1 on: June 5, 2003, 10:10 PM »
I don't collect model trains, therefore I wouldn't be able to suggest to you any sites about that hobby.  Sorry sir.   :P
dustrho

Offline TopJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • The Toy Whore!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 5, 2003, 10:13 PM »
Ahh well, I know I could do a search......but I figured I'd ask some of the experienced modelers here to find out where they might hang out  :P
Brian AKA TopJedi
sniperman76@hotmail.com

Always interested in trading for Clone troopers,Battle Droids and other army builders

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 5, 2003, 10:33 PM »
N-Scale myself. I have a simple little 4x6 (I think, its been a long time) layout, but alas, Im too freaking lazy to go take pictures
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 5, 2003, 10:40 PM »
I don't have a layout right now since I have no room but once I find room I eventually want to build something for the trains that I have.  The first one I had I really didn't like and it ended up sitting in my garage until I had to move it and disassamble it.  I think it was something like 8' by 3' or something like that.  I haven't been on any train related boards so I wouldn't know where a nice one is at.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: June 5, 2003, 10:50 PM »
My trains and track are all packed up, most of which I inherited from my grandfather quite a long time ago.  But the part that I still do, and love, is the building of those small Campbell kits with all the buildings, houses, towers, bridges, and other miniature structures.  Love making all that miniature stuff.  Building a real cool looking church out of little tiny toothpicks practically.  All in HO scale of course.  No layouts or anything of that nature for me yet, since I just don't have the space.

But my brother and father in law have been putting together a very impressive layout covering half of their garage.  They've been building it for about a year and a half, and are now into working on the scenery stage.  I pitch in a little when I'm up there visiting.

The other model railroaders here that I recall are the boss (Chris Berry), Tom (Darth Kenobi), and Todd (T-Bone Kenobi).  Hopefully they'll chime in here.  Whoops, looks like Tom already did...

No idea about what all sites are out there really, but I do swing by this one sometimes to check out the Campbell kits that I buy.  Seems like a pretty good train site beyond just the Campbell stuff...
« Last Edit: June 6, 2003, 04:14 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #6 on: June 6, 2003, 12:07 AM »
Believe it or not I've actually got a train track that runs around my bedroom cieling... I checked out all of my Collections photo's, but none of them have the train (or the track) in view, so I'll have to take a photo of that tomorrow I guess. I wouldn't call myself a collector, as I don't really add to what I've already got... but not everyone can say they've got a train that goes around their cieling.  ;)

Offline proudfather2

• Jedi Initiate
  • Todd
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 6, 2003, 12:54 AM »
I'm right here Matt. You can't talk trains wiothout me showing up at some point.

Hey there fellow trainnuts. Nice to see some more of us around. TopJedi, try www.trainorders.com and head to the Model RRR Discussion section of the forums. The link is visible from left column of main page. Here's another link from one of the guys over at trainorders. It shows a real nice HO layout and lots of great looking motive power.
http://www.pbase.com/espeeboy/cpmf03_freemo&page=all
Also, if you are looking for some good prices on anything model railroad head over to www.toytrainheaven.com they have great prices and really fast and reliable shipping to boot.

My project is currently in the planning and aquisition phase. I am an HO scale modeler and I am modeling BNSF's Chillicothe Subdivision, which runs between Chicago and Ft. Madison Iowa. Highlights on my layout will be Joliet Union Station, Centerpoint Intermodal Facility, Streator, Ancona, Edelstein Hill(Houlihan's Curve), Cameron, Dallas City, Niota, and the impressive structure that carries the RR's double track mainline and the highway over the Mississippi River on a double deck bridge.

I am also a railfan (someone who likes to photograph or video trains). I have spent the last decade documenting the Chillicothe Sub and have captured almost every peice of motive power that the Santa Fe and the Burlington Northern has/had.

My two interests will come together in my new layout as I am modeling the railroad I have devoted so much of my time to documenting over the years. As for the era I am going to model it's going to be about the year 1999-2000. This way I can still run all unmolested Santa Fe lashups on my layout. Something not common after the big merger. I will also be able to model the BNSF as a lot of the two railroads motive power had been repainted at that point, but not all of it.

I've got a good amount of engines and rolling stock already. All modern equipment. I have quite a few Lifelike Proto2000, Atlas, and Athearn Genesis locos already. Most of which are SD40-2's, SD60's, SD60-M's, SD75M's, Dash 840-B's (standard and wide cab), GP60M's & B's, SD40T-2's, SD45's and C44-9W's. I'll be laying Atlas code 83 three foot flex track with minimum 30 degree curves as well as tons of Atlas #six switches. Nuff for now, I'll chat more later.

Todd

« Last Edit: June 6, 2003, 01:17 AM by T-Bone Kenobi »

Online Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: June 6, 2003, 02:48 AM »
Nice thread, I'm happy to chime in here. I have a smaller HO train set in the basement. It is nothing fancy, but is enjoyable. I tend to favor CSX as my great grandfather worked on the C & O Railroad, which became Chessie System, and the CSX. My grandfather also worked on the Chessie railroad. I favor SD40-2's and GP38-2's. The newer engine are nice, along with the smaller pushers. I also have an Norfolk Southern loco, Grand Trunk, Santa Fe, and a few others. I install Kaydee couplers on all of my cars for a realistic look. I am a railroading family so it really does come natural.
« Last Edit: June 6, 2003, 02:48 AM by Chris Berry »

Offline TopJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • The Toy Whore!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 6, 2003, 08:23 AM »
Thanks for the info and help everyone.......I definatly have alot to learn still.........but that's half of the fun ;)

I can't wait to start a layout.......I just don't know if I have the time to devout to focusing on a certain line.......
Brian AKA TopJedi
sniperman76@hotmail.com

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 6, 2003, 08:51 AM »
Not a current train collector but I have a few from my childhood packed away. Anway the reason I chimed in is I will see if I can get picks from a friends dads set up. It fills half his basement. Very neat set up.  The trains I have I think are just tyco stuff. silver streak sounds familiar, nothing special
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline proudfather2

• Jedi Initiate
  • Todd
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 6, 2003, 01:21 PM »
I can't wait to start a layout.......I just don't know if I have the time to devout to focusing on a certain line.......

Modeling in your spare time is just fine. And don't worry about a particular line, you can model prototypically (a particular RR and time frame) or you can model a fictional line with a fictional or exsisting RR (freelance). That's the beuaty of it man, model whatever you want, whenever you want, as big or small as you want just so long as you are modeling WHAT YOU WANT. ***sounds kinda like collecting doesn't it***;)

Chris Berry, what do you think of the newest CSX paint scheme, I think they call it the YN3 Scheme? It kinda reminds me of the old B&O sheme with all the dark blue and a little bit of gold/yellow on the ends and long hood for the logo. Now all they need is the "starbust".;D
« Last Edit: June 6, 2003, 01:23 PM by T-Bone Kenobi »

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #12 on: June 7, 2003, 07:41 PM »
Pictured here is my train set, I must point out that the cieling fan is one of the first cast iron Hunter Cieling Fans ever made! :D My dad is very passionate about this fan, he described the beauty of the simplistic design, we're talking about Pecan blades, "beautiful, beautiful", my dad proclaims.

Limited Edition LGB G-Gauge Mogle

Limited Edition LGB G-Gauge Rio Grande Set

Offline TopJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • The Toy Whore!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 7, 2003, 08:16 PM »
NICE train AE......thanks for sharing the pics :)

I took a trip to Hobby Lobby last night to check out thier selection of books,trains, and accessories.....my Hobby Lobby has REALLY expanded the train selection.....

I'm REALLY starting to get the bug now for trains.......and it's nice to know that I can call on a few fellow Star Wars fans as well if I need any help.......this is all just a great big bonus for me ;)

Thanks again for all of the help,info, and ideas.......things are swirling around in my head like Yoda did in EP3 ;)  ....hahahaha
Brian AKA TopJedi
sniperman76@hotmail.com