Author Topic: Vista: Bueno?  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Vista: Bueno?
« on: January 29, 2007, 09:37 AM »
Unless you've been living in a cave since last September, you probably know that Microsoft is releasing their Vista operating system this week.

Anyone planning on upgrading?  Anyone not?  Why or why not?

I just finally made the upgrade to XP a year ago, and it suits me just fine, at least for now--but I could probably be tempted to upgrade to Vista if it's that much better.  So I'm thinking I'll wait and see what the word of mouth is like, and maybe make the switch sometime later this year.

(5)
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Vista: Bueno?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 09:54 AM »
As with any OS, it seems more cost-effective for me to just wait until I get a new computer for any upgrade like this.

For me to go drop $200 (is that about right?) on something like this it would have to be significantly better, and while I don't know for a fact that it isn't, it's very likely that I won't be impressed enough to make me buy in at this point.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 11:27 AM »
I was actually looking at a laptop recently at Best Buy and noticed that almost all of the laptops were gone.  The sales guy told me that they were cleaning them all out because they were XP equipped machines, and that they were expecting Vista equipped units soon.  But he also mentioned that people still wanted XP ready machines and to avoid Vista for the time being.  Best Buy is apparently offering people vouchers for Vista, but their computer guys are saying stay away for the time being.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 12:35 PM »
I'm in the market for a new desktop, and while I'd like to just **** Mircosoft, Macs are still cost prohibitive for me, considering I don't really do much other than dink around on the computer at home (internet, email, music, minor word processing, and educational programs for kids).

I'd gladly snag an XP-equipped model on the cheap, and wait for Vista to work its bugs out and whatnot.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 02:19 AM »
I'm in the market for a new desktop, and while I'd like to just **** Mircosoft, Macs are still cost prohibitive for me...

Sticking it to the corporate vagina, eh? Good times... Good times...
"This is the way."

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 02:13 AM »
While I'm not interested in Windows Vista, I am considering Office 2007.  I've been using the beta version on my laptop and have been very impressed with it.  There's 7 different versions of Office, but I just need Word, Excel and PowerPoint, so 'Office Home & Student' will work for me. 

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 02:34 AM »
Unless you've been living in a cave since last September,

The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 03:02 PM »
I'll be ordering Vista this week and plan on upgrading my main system at home.  We probably won't switch to it till at least midway through 2007 for our company though.

I had Release Candiate 1 and 2 installed at home and it has some cool features and some that I didn't like as well.  It's the same with all operating sytems from MS, it's pretty good and then you get Service Pack 1 and it gets better.

The main thing I like about it is the new interface, Aero.  Very nice.  Some of the cool aspects of the Mac but without the hardware prices.  I've been using varous skinning programs to attempt to achieve a look that Vista now has built in which rocks IMO.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 06:48 PM »
and while I'd like to just **** Mircosoft, Macs are still cost prohibitive for me,

You might be surprised.  Remind me to convert you next time we talk, brother.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life