Author Topic: Toning Down...  (Read 10013 times)

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
Toning Down...
« on: January 29, 2007, 09:47 PM »
I'll start off by saying that there will still be Bricks N' Beer, so don't worry, there will always be a silly hat to see.

I've had enough with being a completest.
As much as I love the Bricks, keeping up with the Chase figures has just done me in.
Its much to expensive and even when you save $$ by throwing down for a case, the investment is allot of $$ to slap down at once.

I'm going to stick to a few Bricks per Series (especially if they are Imperials) and maybe some of the lower end Carded ones that they release in the future.  Whatever catches my eye, just not the entire series anymore.  If there happens to be a chase I want I'll take my chance with Bricks n' Beer!

I'd also like to keep some $$ open for the higher end stuff like the RAH Fett and a 400% Fett.
So as you see I'm not done, just not going to keep as much stuff and keep the collection small.

I keep telling myself that I won't spend allot of $$ on toys but I already went insane this year, so I have to make a change, my house and car are being neglected!

So keep your eyes peeled in the For Sale section.

Doc

--
I Dream of Kubricks...
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline nitro

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Toning Down...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 11:37 PM »
I always looked forward to your Bricks N' Beer posts. They were always fun to see posted and you looked like you were having fun doing it. I wish you luck with the new collections!

I went through the same thing after purchasing my final set of SW Kubricks from Series 6. It was just too much to play catch up because I started collecting far too late (when Series 5 hit). I figured putting my money into something I still loved which was Star Wars higher end pieces from Sideshow. I bought much of the Premium Format line and think they look fantastic on display for my movie room. As far as the Kubricks, I thought about picking up a few...but Medicoms RAH line looks unreal (have you seen the pics of Vader, Stormtrooper, and Fett!!) and their are more PF's on the way. I look back that the Kubricks will always have a special place, but I can't fathom spending that kind of money again for a 2" toy...I just keep thinking about that any time I have an itch to get back into collecting SW Kubs...Save myself alot of money that way!!  :)

Offline maulsith

• Jedi Initiate
  • feel the power of the dark side of the force
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 12:31 AM »
I'll start off by saying that there will still be Bricks N' Beer, so don't worry, there will always be a silly hat to see.

I've had enough with being a completest.
As much as I love the Bricks, keeping up with the Chase figures has just done me in.
Its much to expensive and even when you save $$ by throwing down for a case, the investment is allot of $$ to slap down at once.

I'm going to stick to a few Bricks per Series (especially if they are Imperials) and maybe some of the lower end Carded ones that they release in the future.  Whatever catches my eye, just not the entire series anymore.  If there happens to be a chase I want I'll take my chance with Bricks n' Beer!

I'd also like to keep some $$ open for the higher end stuff like the RAH Fett and a 400% Fett.
So as you see I'm not done, just not going to keep as much stuff and keep the collection small.

I keep telling myself that I won't spend allot of $$ on toys but I already went insane this year, so I have to make a change, my house and car are being neglected!

So keep your eyes peeled in the For Sale section.

Doc

--
I Dream of Kubricks...

:o :o Hard choice to make ya...but I respected your decision..

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 02:10 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Indeed I did see the RAH stuff, it played a part in my rethinking what I collect!
I have the Stormtrooper and I want the Fett as well as a 400% Kubrick Fett.

I just can't afford everything so I'll be happy with a few expensive pieces along with a few small things here and there.

Just posted a partial list.

CB
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 04:33 PM »
I sold just about everything I wanted to.
Only have the Imperial Officer and a Carded Luke, so get em while you can!
I need to raise funds for a MC of Series 8...if they ever announce it and my new Crack: RAH (CRAHK)

Lobot! Lobot!  Lobot!

Rock on
CB
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline nitro

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 10:13 PM »
I sold just about everything I wanted to.
Only have the Imperial Officer and a Carded Luke, so get em while you can!
I need to raise funds for a MC of Series 8...if they ever announce it and my new Crack: RAH (CRAHK)

Lobot! Lobot!  Lobot!

Rock on
CB

I went through the same thing with my Kubricks. Instead of RAH figs (which look really cool...you like the Jango coming out soon?), I started putting the money I was spending on boxes of Kubricks to focus on statues (in particular Sideshow's Premium Format line). Since I stopped, the only SW Premium Format fig that's missing from my collection is the Luke. My friends are in complete awe any time they step foot in my movie room. Unfortunately, the Kubricks never had that appeal to them and they never understood the whole chase thing. They just thought they were *gasp* overpriced Lego's. Star Wars Kubs will always hold a special place, unfortunately they are packed away in a shoebox in my closet until I get the urge to get back into the line (which is more doubtful than ever)...

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 01:10 AM »
I love the Bricks, but it just got to cluttered.
What you have done with the Premiums sounds very cool.
I wish I could focus on some of those Attakus statues, but the Medicom stuff has me hooked.
You are dead on about the Jango, it looks amazing.
And I just love the 400%.
Sandtroopers and Snowtroopers are what I'm a sucker for as well.
I also ordered something non toy...the McQuarrie book, love his art and he did lots of things I like other than Star Wars, even some Bigfoot flix.

CB
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 07:45 AM »
It's become clear that more people have followed this path of toning down.

I think the over-abundance of lines to collect, increasing prices for most lines, and the fact that the longer we are in this hobby the less room we have for new stuff is starting to take its' toll.

I also think Medicom did themselves a disservice by having more than a year between lines, and not keeping some OT in the basic assortments slated for next year.

The fact is one of the things we are hooked on is the collecting itself. Too long of a drought and we start to realize we don't "need" it like before.

I think I've come to the conclusion that my kubrick collection will be one of the last things left as the rest of the collection goes away over the years. It is unique, small enough to filt in a medium size tub, and I just love the way they look like the characters, without looking like the characters- they are just excellent toy representations of the movie that defines my childhood (and more of my adulthood than I care to admit).

But I completely understand people's decision to cut back or let the majority go. I did that with my Hasbro addiction (although recent events have caused me to buy more than I had been), and will probably be letting the VCD figures go soon, and maybe some other items as well.

I do look forward to getting the next 2 series, just not nearly as much as I did when they were OT.

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 11:21 PM »
I would love a VCD Stormie, just can't afford one.
Just sold my parco Sandtroopper and my Holo Leia, have to get rid of the Shadow Stormie is next as well as some other stuff.
Just like you said, too much stuff to collect so I want to kepp it to a few cool things.

CB
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline Matt Brand

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Lunaroma Aromatherapy & Natural Body Care
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 09:38 AM »
That's cool man. You gotta do what you gotta do. It's good to be able to set your limits too.
be_sharp@hotmail.com

Lunaroma Aromatherapy - www.lunaroma.com

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 03:03 PM »
There is always something...like those Koto magnets, they keep calling me....

CB
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline Matt Brand

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Lunaroma Aromatherapy & Natural Body Care
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 10:53 AM »
Heh. After the announcements that 8 and 9 are prequels, I started looking for other things to collect.

Now I am after the carded Kubricks, and also I have been amassing some random Japanese toys, like some Kid Robot stuff, and a couple Bearbricks. No sense or order to any of it. I'd like to find a couple small lines that really interest me though, and go for those.
be_sharp@hotmail.com

Lunaroma Aromatherapy - www.lunaroma.com

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 12:17 PM »
I preordered the Series 4 Magnets.

CB
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline Amanaman

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 04:08 PM »
"Never be a completist." remains a constant in collecting.

Everything fights for attention and shelf space, so there's a conceivable limit to how much you can appreciate in a given space and time. Survival of the fittest. Don't try to live up to a checklist, no one imposed it upon you. Don't binge-collect. Take it easy, one or two items at a time. IF you do manage to complete any collection, then let it be by coincidence of simply buying what you like.

I can see myself getting the QGJ brick, and that's about it.

But I really want to see a 400% Yakface.. how likely is that to happen?

Offline Amanaman

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 04:21 PM »
The fact is one of the things we are hooked on is the collecting itself. Too long of a drought and we start to realize we don't "need" it like before.
Yeah, it's a slippery slope when you're more into 'hunt' than the 'kills' themselves. You risk amassing stuff that you don't really want..

I think I've come to the conclusion that my kubrick collection will be one of the last things left as the rest of the collection goes away over the years. It is unique, small enough to filt in a medium size tub, and I just love the way they look like the characters, without looking like the characters- they are just excellent toy representations of the movie that defines my childhood (and more of my adulthood than I care to admit).

I like them for the same reasons. They're designed as toys first, not as realistic (and often imperfect) depictions.
This type of idealistic aesthetic is a major reason why I'm gravitating towards Japanese toys more, and less of the tired, McFarlane/Marvel Legends type stuff.  I do plan to tone down on the army building, but the kubs are all keepers.

Size is also a big factor. The bigger the toy, the pickier I must get. It's harder to move around, demands more attention, etc. Kubricks waste no space for what you get.