Author Topic: celebreties you've met?  (Read 6906 times)

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
celebreties you've met?
« on: February 5, 2007, 03:38 PM »
I don't know if this is a new topic or not-apologize it is already a topic somewhere.

Anyway, after my experience last Friday at the OKC Airport I wonder how often I've been around celebs and didn't bother to notice...

So, last Friday I was waiting on several flights (being bumped as stand by's) then Walter Koenig AKA Checkov from Star Trek came down and set next to me at the terminal. Before I spoke with him I noticed he was reading a Bob Dylan book--'chronicles'. We shared a 20 min. conversation about flight delays and my military career, kids..ect. Halfway into the conversation I mentioned something to the effect about watching him in Star Trek as a kid and he was understandably short about it so I pressed him no further about that, then-he asked about my destination and from there about my military service. He seemd like a nice man.

Later, after finally getting on the aircraft I was seated 2 seats away from Barry Switzer(ex-Dallas Cowboys SB winning coach AKA 'hot-dog eater'). I overheard he was heading to some event called 'sun bowl'?--something about Texas teams facing the rest of the colledge teams best in a game? Anyway I found it interesting to find 2 folks like this on a commercial flight out of OKC.

It's funny how, when you're growing up, that the actors look big or different. Then you meet them and you're surprised..Water is very short in person, while Barry was as tall as me.

The whole experience really made me wonder how many other times I had been in a similar situation and failed to notice.

DS

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: celebreties you've met?
« Reply #1 on: February 5, 2007, 03:43 PM »
What a cocktease.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 5, 2007, 03:52 PM »
What a cocktease.

You met a celeb named cocktease? Interesting...

DS

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #3 on: February 5, 2007, 04:35 PM »
You met a celeb named cocktease? Interesting...

DS

Anyway. . .  can't speak for Star Trek Guy, but Switzer lives here, so him flying in and out of OKC probably isn't all that uncommon an occurrence.

And speaking of Switzer, I stood next to him during a post-game interview when he was still coaching at OU, about twenty years ago--so I suppose that's an experience I can share.  Didn't actually meet him, though--so maybe I can't.

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #4 on: February 5, 2007, 04:39 PM »
I've crossed paths with several SW EU authors/artists over the years, at signings and whatnot. And I was in proximity to a few other SW celebs at Celebration III, but in most cases I couldn't say I "met" them.

Other than that, I'm pretty sure I spotted Colin Quinn in the Minneapolis-St. Paul airport once.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 5, 2007, 04:50 PM »
I've met Quark from Deep Space Nine and I've also met that old dude from Charles in Charge.  Not too exciting, but it is what it is.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: February 5, 2007, 04:53 PM »
The only celebrity that I've ever met was an internet celebrity...  this guy:

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 5, 2007, 04:58 PM »
I've met this MTV celebrity:

Along with Clint Eastwood, Bruce Willis, Barbara Bush, Apollo 13 Astronaut Jim Lovell, Joe Gibbs, Darrell Green, Cal Ripken, Jr., Dexter Manley, Jeff Gordon, Jeff Burton, Mark Martin, Kurt Busch, Rusty Wallace (a quite a few more NASCAR drivers)........

Edited as I remember more (It sucks being nearly as old as Brent :P)

Robert Redford, James Mason, shook hands with then-President Clinton -- he had the flimsiest handshake, Casper Weinberger, Lynda Carter....
« Last Edit: February 5, 2007, 05:28 PM by tamidala »
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 5, 2007, 04:58 PM »
I've met plenty of Texas Rangers and Dallas Cowboys when I was into Baseball cards! And plenty of other sport starts past and present!

Recently I've met and talked with Sen Hilary Clinton, Joe Namath, and a few others!
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 5, 2007, 05:07 PM »
It's quite a list tamidala.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 5, 2007, 05:51 PM »
I saw Johnny Knoxville on a flight from LA once, and spotted Doris Roberts at a restaurant in LA, that very same vacation. I think that's about it.

Offline tonphanan

• Jedi Initiate
  • " Has anyone seen my wits?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 5, 2007, 06:25 PM »
I work at a baseball stadium in the summer so I've met quite a few players over the last six years. Met Kevin J Anderson at a book signing. Shared a flight with Peter Mayhew going to Florida for Star Wars weekends at the Disney MGM studios. We even stayed at the same hotel I sat next to him in the lobby while waiting to check in. I didn't realize it was him until after I saw him signing at the park the next day. Also met Kerry Earnhart.
Throw an Ewok at him

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 5, 2007, 09:26 PM »
I've met quite a few a lot of the Reds and Bengals and Star Wars.because I usually do a picture of them(drawling) one for me and one for them.I haven't got to meet Liam yet,but I'm working on that one ;D
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 5, 2007, 10:12 PM »
Celebrities I have met not including SW, lets see... Oiler players during the dynasty days  :P  James Doohan, George Takei, Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, Mark Lenard, Mira Furlan, John Young, Robert Crippen (STS-1 Shuttle Columbia) Seka & Marilyn Chambers.  :-X   ;D

Also that MTV dude!  :D

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 5, 2007, 10:34 PM »
Well if we're counting pro athletes....

When I worked at LSU, the athletes lived in the area under my supervision, so any of them from teh 01-04 lineup that have turned pro, I've met ...and more than likely had a few heart to hearts about behavior with.

I remember in my first year there, going to Houston with some admissions people to talk to a group of high school guidance counselors.  One of them asked me "We just sent a student to LSU...he's going to play football...do you know him?  His name is Joseph Adai."

Count Nick Saban in that mix too, then.  I've met, met with, and been introduced at meetings by him on more than a few occasions.  Nice guy. 
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.