Author Topic: Led Zeppelin Reunion Tour  (Read 13617 times)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Led Zeppelin Reunion Tour
« on: February 14, 2007, 08:28 PM »
https://community.hottopic.com/buzz/default.asp?roi=echo4-1115414695-1200858&wt.mc_id=01ht021207

Led Zeppelin Reunite! - February 1st

Hey, it’s been a long time since [they] rock n’ rolled! The legendary Led Zeppelin are reuniting after a 20+ year hiatus. Robert Plant, 54, Jimmy Page, 58, and John Paul Jones, 56, met a couple weeks ago to discuss a reunion tour at stadiums throughout America. The band split in 1980 after the death of drummer John Bonham. Bonham’s son, Jason, is set to take his father’s post for the tour. Led Zeppelin still holds the record for the largest concert crowds. They are second to the Beatles in worldwide album sales. You do not want to miss this tour. So, show the guys a whole lotta love and grab some tickets. Dates and ticket info will be released at a later date. Stay tuned.

One word: Awesome!

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: Led Zeppelin Reunion Tour
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 09:15 PM »
Think they'll play Stairway?  I know they've refused to for years.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 09:51 PM »
Interesting.  I saw Page & Plant tour behind their Unledded project.  That was pretty solid, and the drummer they had was great.  Still, they had a much larger touring band than Led Zeppelin during their heyday, and Page really didn't handle much of the guitar soloing.  It was a good show, but it probably didn't compare to Led Zeppelin live in 1973.

Years later I saw John Paul Jones with his own band opening for King Crimson.  They brought down the house!  Jonesy played some obiligatory Zep tunes, and he actually sang, too.  He did a really cool version of "That's the way".  He ended up with this monstrous instrumental version of "When the levee breaks", and let me tell you, Crimson had a hard time following them too, and those guys are no slouches.

It's definitely intriguing to think of what a reunited Zeppelin would be like.  But then I think of what a powerhouse drummer John Bonham was, and it would be difficult for anyone to follow him.  As for his son?  I saw him in that show on VH1 with Ted Nugent.  The guy is in his mid 30's and he looks like a wreck!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 10:13 PM »
But then I think of what a powerhouse drummer John Bonham was, and it would be difficult for anyone to follow him.  As for his son?  I saw him in that show on VH1 with Ted Nugent.  The guy is in his mid 30's and he looks like a wreck!

When your father is Bonham, you're excused, if not expected to be, a complete wreck. The guy was a God on the drums, even in the latter years, when he looked 5 minutes away from passing out and asphyxiating... I'd love to see a semi-Reunion.

Offline Sems Fir

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • www.behindthetoys.com
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 01:44 PM »
Having been a Zeppelin collector over 20 years I can state with pretty much 99.999(well you get the idea) that the words are nothing more than just words typed up on the web.  Jimmy is currently working on a solo album, Robert Plant is going country (the Honeydrippers Volume Two is now canned due to the death of Ahmet) and Jones has moved on.  Recently the Toronto based Q-107 had to basically post a message stating a rumor is false after a rumor was linked to Q-107.

I've met Jason Bonham.  While his drumming style has improved over the years, I can only hope family life has led him to change from his offstage behavior his father had.

The surviving members have no reason to tour.  To quote Jimmy Page "ever onward".

Robert
www.behindthetoys.com
LEAD EDITOR
BLACK S. U. N. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: September 8, 2007, 05:14 PM »
Update:

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/thatsreallyweek/1545/sept-2-10-death-taxeszeppelin

OK, moving on to happier stories, such as...dancing days are here again, because the three surviving members of Led Zeppelin are finally getting back together! Yep, hard rock fans still dazed and confused by recent news of the long-delayed Van Halen reunion have even more reason to celebrate, now that this even longer-delayed reunion is reportedly in the works. Incredibly, according to NME.com, frontman Robert Plant is in talks this week with fellow Led Zep legends Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones about a Zeppelin tour that'll hopefully kick off in London this November. Presumably late drummer John Bonham's son, Jason Bonham (last seen banging skins for celebreality band Damnocracy on VH1's Supergroup), will fill in behind the drumkit for the Zep trek; since Damnocracy mouthpiece Sebastian Bach is busy trying to launch a hip-hop career on MTV's Celebrity Rap Superstars (more on that HERE), we're guessing Damnocracy are on indefinite hiatus and Jason will therefore thankfully be free...

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 8, 2007, 05:25 PM »
I'm a little skeptical, as there has been tons of reports that the members were "in talks"... Although, if it is true, it should be ******* amazing. Has anyone here recently seen Plant or Page live? I'm curious to hear if they still sound good.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: September 9, 2007, 12:16 AM »
I couldnt get tickets the last time Plant played in the city but i heard he had a worship me attitude on stage. Thats just what i heard though, dont know for sure. As for the Zep reunion, i heard that they were actually shopping the tour to promoters already so i hope that its true.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Sems Fir

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • www.behindthetoys.com
« Reply #8 on: September 9, 2007, 11:53 AM »
There's been much discussion on the Led Zeppelin newsgroup I subscribe to regarding this possible get together.  One member who I respect after an administrator posted the news posted that the rumor is true.  All sorts of angles are being researched.  Jason Bonham is the drummer for Foreigner and upon review of their concert dates for October 2007 they have now been cancelled.  Jason's now shown in a new Ludwig drums promotional poster sitting in front of a clear Vistalite style kit with his father's symbol shown on the bass drum head.  Jason has been utilizing this style drum kit at Foreigner shows.

There's quite a bit of footage of Plant returning to his voice of old and is signing more powerful than he has in years.  All surviving band members are said to be in the best shape they've been in years.  John Paul Jones has been playing quite a bit and his version of "When The Levee Breaks" is an absolute monster to listen to.

According to what was posted on the New Musical Express website the gig is a charity gig being organized by promoter Harvey Goldsmith for November 2007 at the 02 in London.  Of course, there's the flipside report that promoter Harvey Goldsmith has issued a statement warning fans not to fall victim to false sources claiming they have tickets available.  Throw in the statement written on Harry Goldsmith's website in the blog stating that's there an "incredible" upcoming announcement and a reader will get a headache analyzing everything.

Of course with the upcoming November release of the "Early Days" and "Latter Days" revamped and now called "Mothership" along with "The Song Remains The Same" being reissued with songs not previously available on the original release in multiple package formats one has alot to think about.

Do the surviving band members have a reason to regroup?  With all that's stated above yes.  Will it happen?  Time will tell.

Robert
www.behindthetoys.com
LEAD EDITOR
BLACK S.U.N.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 9, 2007, 04:03 PM »
Of course with the upcoming November release of the "Early Days" and "Latter Days" revamped and now called "Mothership" along with "The Song Remains The Same" being reissued with songs not previously available on the original release in multiple package formats one has alot to think about.

I haven't heard about this- details?

Offline Sems Fir

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • www.behindthetoys.com
« Reply #10 on: September 9, 2007, 06:14 PM »
Rather than hyperlink here's the write up:

LED ZEPPELIN: Double-CD Collection, Reissue Of  'The Song Remains The Same'
Due In November

On November  13, Atlantic Records/Rhino Entertainment will honor LED ZEPPELIN
with the  release of "Mothership", a 24-track, two-CD comprehensive
collection that spans  their illustrious career. All eight of the band's classic studio
albums are  represented here, with the tracks being personally selected by
Jimmy Page,  Robert Plant, and John Paul Jones. "Mothership" includes landmark
songs such as  "Whole Lotta Love", "Immigrant Song", "Kashmir", "Rock And
Roll", "Dazed And  Confused", "Stairway to Heaven". The set will also include new
liner notes.  Available at all physical retail outlets and www.ledzeppelin.com,
"Mothership"  collectible packages will be available in multiple
configurations:

*  Standard Package – 2-CD set
* Deluxe Edition – 2-CD/ 1-DVD featuring the  90-minute, premiere-version of
the "Led Zeppelin" DVD (£12.20 SRP)
*  Collector's Edition – 2-CD/1-DVD ultra-deluxe, collectible limited edition
*  Vinyl Edition – 4 LPs, high-end, audiophile quality vinyl with collectible
 memorabilia

"Mothership" Track Listing:

Disc One:

01.  Good Times Bad Times
02. Communication Breakdown
03. Dazed And  Confused
04. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
05. Whole Lotta Love
06. Ramble  On
07. Heartbreaker
08. Immigrant Song
09. Since I've Been Loving  You
10. Rock And Roll
11. Black Dog
12. When The Levee Breaks
13.  Stairway To Heaven

Disc Two:

01. Song Remains The Same
02. Over  The Hills And Far Away
03. D'Yer Maker
04. No Quarter
05. Trampled  Under Foot
06. Houses Of The Holy
07. Kashmir
08. Nobody's Fault But  Mine
09. Achilles Last Stand
10. In The Evening
11. All My  Love

Slated for a simultaneous release, Warner Home Video debuts  brand-new DVD
editions of "The Song Remains The Same", now for the first time  with all 14
songs from the original concert. The DVD features newly remixed and  remastered
sound, 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound, and boasts more than 40  minutes of
added bonus material, including never-before-released performance  footage of
"Over The Hills And Far Away" and "Celebration Day"; plus  performances of
"Misty Mountain Hop" and "The Ocean"; a rare 1976 BBC interview  with Robert Plant
and Jimmy Page; vintage TV footage from the Drake Hotel  robbery during the
New York concert stand; and a Cameron Crowe radio show. 
The discs will be available as follows:

* Deluxe Edition DVD
*  Deluxe Edition HD DVD and Blu-ray
* Limited Collector's Edition – 2-disc set  includes collectible vintage
T-shirt with original album artwork design,  soundtrack CD, lobby cards,
reproductions of original premiere invites, tour  schedule, and more

"We have revisited 'The Song Remains The Same'," says  Jimmy Page, "and can
now offer the complete set as played at Madison Square  Garden. This differs
substantially from the original soundtrack released in  1976, and highlights the
technical prowess of Kevin Shirley, who worked with us  on 'How The West Was
Won'. When it comes to 'The Song Remains The Same', the  expansion of the DVD
and soundtrack are as good as it gets on the LED ZEPPELIN  wish list."

"The Song Remains The Same" track listing:

Disc  One:

01. Rock And Roll
02. Celebration Day
03. Black Dog (including  Bring It On Home)*
04. Over The Hills*
05. Misty Mountain Hop*
06.  Since I've Been Loving You*
07. No Quarter
08. The Song Remains The  Same
09. Rain Song
10. The Ocean*

Disc Two:

01. Dazed And  Confused
02. Stairway To Heaven
03. Moby Dick
04. Heartbreaker*
05.  Whole Lotta Love

* Not on original soundtrack release

The cover art for TSRTS reissue is based off of the poster and can be seen here:

http://www.amazon.com/Song-Remains-Same-Led-Zeppelin/dp/B000UR9TQE/ref=pd_bxgy_d_img_b/103-2932698-7761435?ie=UTF8&qid=1188093453&sr=8-4

Robert
www.behindthetoys.com
LEAD EDITOR
BLACK S.U.N.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 9, 2007, 07:59 PM »
Thanks. I'll definitely have to pick the 2-disc Song Remains The Same, as I have been looking for the DVD for a while now.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 9, 2007, 08:58 PM »
Wow.  It seems like it might actually happen.  I personally can't see a full world tour happening, but stranger things have happened.  And Jonesy's version of "When the levee breaks" is absolutely monstrous.  Sems Fir is right on, there.  Plus he's been actively playing this summer.  He was at this year's Coachella festival.  I saw some video of him on youtube with Ben Harper that was pretty tight.

I heard that the deal with Unledded, and why it didn't include John Paul Jones, was all about money.  Which is absolutely criminal because he was the glue that held Led Zeppelin together musically.  Sure, the musicians who went on tour with Page and Plant were very capable.  They even got a drummer who could basically play a John Bonham impression.  But they didn't swing the way Zeppelin did.  The rhythm section was much stiffer than Bonham and Jones ever were.  Maybe Jimmy Page and Robert Plant learned their lesson?
« Last Edit: September 9, 2007, 09:07 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Sems Fir

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • www.behindthetoys.com
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 08:14 PM »
If you can, hit youtube for Bonnaroo and JPJ!  As far as I know Plant leaving after the 1998 tour wasn't due to money.  Page is on record stating he would've attempted to bring JPJ into the fold, but one has to remember that Robert's son in law has been his bass player since Robert's Now and Zen Non Stop Go tour.  The only money problems I recall was after the 1995 tour when the Pharaohs were complaining about money.

Musically, Charlie Jones and Michael Lee don't cut it for Zeppelin fans.  I've been a drummer for over twenty years and while Michael is a good drummer he's limited (at least to me).  If you watch his playing style his hands are straight and stiff, unlike Bonzo who just used his wrists.  JPJ in 1990 on the MTV Rockumentary elaborates on this all too familiar style.  Both Charlie and Michael played the same thing every night (which is common nowadays).  There's no breathing from the rhythm section (at least from Charlie and Michael).

For me, personally part of the problem with today's music is that the musicians have no idea how to play their instrument and expand into new boundaries.  This is in part thanks to technology, which hides the fact that the musician can't play.  In the old days it was studio musicians.  I'll refrain posting my opinion on the current state of the music industry.  I'll just state before it was the music business.  Now it's the record industry.  Big difference.

Robert
www.behindthetoys.com
LEAD EDITOR
BLACK S.U.N.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 08:58 PM »
Duhhh...  I meant to say Bonnaroo in my post.  The clips should still be up on youtube of JPJ with Ben Harper and others.

I'm totally there with you on the musicianship of Jones and Bonham compared with the guys who were on tour for Unledded.  It was like night and day.  Sure, those guys knew the tunes, but they had nowhere near the musical foundation of Jonesy and Bonzo. 

John Paul Jones is probably one of the closest rock disciples of Motown bassist James Jamerson, and the bass playing community considers Jamerson to be one of the first virtuoso players on the instrument.  Throw in his experience as a London session player and arranger and he has a musical leg up on a lot of other bassists.  Jonesy has been a huge influence on my own bass playing over the years.  And even nearly 40 years after that first record came out, he still continues to surprise me.

As for Bonzo?  They have been very few like him at all.  He combined the swing of a lot of soul drummers with raw, unadulterated power.  And knowing that so much of it was just from wrist action is even more impressive.  He was the engine that kept that band going.  His son has a lot to live up to in that regard.

Feedback