Author Topic: Led Zeppelin Reunion Tour  (Read 13588 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Led Zeppelin Reunion Tour
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 03:23 PM »
Looks like it's a one shot deal.

Led Zeppelin to play reunion gig in London

Legendary rock band broke up in 1980; no tour — just one show planned

LONDON - Led Zeppelin will perform a one-time comeback concert in memory of Ahmet Ertegun, a co-founder of Atlantic Records.

The band will perform together for the first time in 19 years on Nov. 26, at London’s The O2 venue, on the banks of the River Thames.

Promoters said the concert would pay tribute to Ertegun — the label boss who popularized Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin and Led Zeppelin — who died in December at age 83.

“During the Zeppelin years, Ahmet Ertegun was a major foundation of solidarity and accord,” said Led Zeppelin singer Robert Plant. “For us he was Atlantic Records and remained a close friend and conspirator.”

Ertegun, who co-founded the Atlantic Records label with Herb Abramson, signed Plant’s band in 1968 and later snapped up the Rolling Stones.

Led Zeppelin’s remaining original members Plant, guitarist Jimmy Page and bassist John Paul Jones will headline the concert with late drummer John Bonham’s son, Jason, on drums, organizers said Wednesday.

The quartet is expected to perform a full set lasting up to two hours.

Promoter Harvey Goldsmith said Led Zeppelin would play one show only and there was no commitment or discussion of playing beyond that.

The Who’s Pete Townshend, Bill Wyman, Foreigner and young Scottish singer Paolo Nutini — the last British act Ertegun signed — will also play at the tribute concert.

All proceeds will go to the Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund to establish music scholarships for students at institutions in Britain, the United States and Turkey, Goldsmith said.

"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2007, 07:55 PM »
I hope they record the thing and make a CD.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2007, 08:16 PM »
I hope they record the thing and make a CD.

My thoughts exactly. Maybe a live DVD too.

Offline Sems Fir

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • www.behindthetoys.com
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 01:34 PM »
If one report I have read holds true, Harvey stated they may do more than a one shot.  I wonder if they could ever possibly find that "one note" as Robert stated in a past interview that they'll revisit.  Again time will tell.

Robert
www.behindthetoys.com
LEAD EDITOR
BLACK S.U.N.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 06:57 PM »
20 million people registered for the lottery the first day.  :o Thats insane. If i thought i could afford the trip i would enter as well.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Sems Fir

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • www.behindthetoys.com
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2007, 09:15 PM »
I'll skip over the demand causing the server to crash!  ;D  There's numerous fans posting problems that have come to light while attempting to register.  There also appears to be entertainment changes occuring as well.  November is a busy music month this year.  If I obtain any interesting information I'll pass it along.

Robert
www.behindthetoys.com
LEAD EDITOR
BLACK S.U.N.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 07:58 PM »
Just for reference, here's the (supposed) cover art and tracklisting for the "Mothership" 2-disc set...

Disc One
1. Good Times Bad Times
2. Communication Breakdown
3. Dazed And Confused
4. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
5. Whole Lotta Love
6. Ramble On
7. Heartbreaker
8. Immigrant Song
9. Since I've Been Loving You
10. Rock And Roll
11. Black Dog
12. When The Levee Breaks
13. Stairway To Heaven

Disc Two
1. Song Remains The Same
2. Over The Hills And Far Away
3. D'Yer Maker
4. No Quarter
5. Trampled Under Foot
6. Houses Of The Holy
7. Kashmir
8. Nobody's Fault But Mine
9. Achilles Last Stand
10. In The Evening
11. All My Love

And here's the DVD cover for the "Song Remains The Same" re-release...

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2007, 09:42 AM »
I will probably go with Song Remains but pass on Mothership
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2007, 12:08 PM »
I will probably go with Song Remains but pass on Mothership

Same here. I might get that 4-LP of Mothership if I find it, just to add some Zeppelin to my paltry vinyl collection.

I hope they keep the dream sequences on TSRTS. Judging by the DVD art, it looks like they are. That was the best (and cheesiest) part of the movie.  ;)

Offline Sems Fir

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • www.behindthetoys.com
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2007, 07:27 PM »
If you like the fantasy parts of the movie, search out the "First Cuts".  You'll see alternate footage.  For example, Robert Plant's sequence is quite different than what was finally released.  Included in his sequence is more footage of him with his ex wife Maureen.

For Zeppelin, the vinyl will always be superior in sound quality when compared to the cd's because they were recorded analog not digital.  While Kevin Shirley is a genius when doing the sound for the Zeppelin releases today, nothing compares to the sound on vinyl.

Robert
www.behindthetoys.com
LEAD EDITOR
BLACK S.U.N.

Offline Sems Fir

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • www.behindthetoys.com
« Reply #25 on: November 1, 2007, 08:30 PM »
Just an update to anyone interested.  The concert has been delayed until December 10th due to Jimmy Page breaking a finger (I sense a '75 tour moment here).

The three finger guitar technique will not be utilized this time in favor of a recovery.

Ever onward.

Robert
www.behindthetoys.com
LEAD EDITOR
BLACK S. U. N.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 1, 2007, 09:13 PM »
That stinks. Any word if they'll release a live CD/DVD? I also heard they were working on new studio material. Is that true?

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2007, 06:28 PM »
I was originally planning on getting only the 2-disc Special Edition of TSRTS, but I splurged and pre-ordered the $30 "Limited Collector's Edition" off Amazon.

For anybody that's interested, here's what you get with the Collectors Edition...

Offline Sems Fir

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • www.behindthetoys.com
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2007, 05:25 PM »
Hi Reid,

I apologize for not responding earlier.  Rumors abound about the remaining members all the time.  Right now, I've heard the JPJ and Robert are just performing at the charity gig and then moving on.  Then again, on FBO there was the mention of 10 dates on reserve at Giants stadium in '08.  I haven't heard of new studio material.  In addition, there was mentions that they weren't going to audio or video tape the show which caused a petition to be created.  I've also heard other acts on the bill are doing both, so it seems like the show will be taped in some capacity as it makes sense.  If not pro shot, then I'm sure numerous audience members will both audio and video tape the event.

Since I've collected Zep for over 20 years now, I'll end up obtaining an example of everything just to have for the collection.  The collectors edition is a neat package.  There's various reviews of how the material sounds all over the place.  I'll compare the new package with the bootlegs and with the Garden Tapes reviews to see what's been altered.

If you have any questions or are looking for anything audio or video related feel free to drop me a line.  There's some cool websites to check out.  If you'd like some sites to check out let me know. By the way nice avatar!

Robert
www.behindthetoys.com
LEAD EDITOR
BLACK S. U. N.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #29 on: December 5, 2007, 06:59 PM »
Stairway to Stardom: If Led Zeppelin reunites, will they play the song that almost destroyed them? | Slate

Led Zeppelin, which is reuniting for a one-off charity gig in London on Dec. 10, appears to be positioning itself to make the Biggest News in the History of Rock: a new album and world tour—a prospect described by Billboard's Ray Waddell as "like twenty Super Bowls rolled into one." While there are still many obstacles to a Zeppelin tour, the most vexing may be that Robert Plant will have to overcome his reluctance to sing the song that has done the most damage to the band. Yes, "Stairway to Heaven."
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)