Author Topic: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 189170 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #90 on: June 4, 2004, 08:24 PM »
I just finished the fifth Harry Potter last night.  I plan on starting The Rebel by Camus tomorrow.

Offline JediKnight87

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #91 on: June 4, 2004, 11:37 PM »
Right now I'm reading the Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald.
"Now I am the Master!"-Darth Vader

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #92 on: June 4, 2004, 11:38 PM »
Right now I'm reading the Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald.
Awesome book, one of my all time favorites

Offline Dark_Kanos

• Youngling
  • Jawa Ben
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2004, 01:41 PM »
Black Fleet Chrisis Book 1 Before The Storm! I have read all but 105 pages and it is barf! I like the author but this one stinks! Thumbs down so far! I kept count of all the new characters I had never heard of and it is up to fifteen right now >:(
Jawa Ben

Durge

« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2004, 01:46 PM »
I'm currently reading the DaVinci Code. This book is so damn good! :o

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2004, 01:47 PM »
I'm about halfway through Dune...AMAZING!  I'll start a thread on it whence I am done because I think it deserves one.  If someone else wants to feel free.  I also want to check out both Movies (the original and the SciFi Mini Series that was done) after I am done reading.  VEry much an imagination type book...

I think LOTR is the perfect adaptation of novel to screen and there are parts of the movies that are literally ripped from my brain, even though the Dune movies get panned I still want to see them

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #96 on: July 6, 2004, 01:48 PM »
Finished Dune a couple of nights ago...great book, great, great book.  Loved every minute of it. And I went and picked up the sequels as well

I started reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest a couple of nights ago.  I've seen the movie a couple of times but have never read the book.  

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 6, 2004, 10:36 PM »
currently reading "i, lucifer" by glen duncan. it's a very interesting book, very funny. basically, god offers the devil a deal: come to earth and take over the body of a poor soul who has just committed suicide, stay out of trouble for one month in this body, and gain re-entry into heaven. but the story is told as a confession by lucifer himself, almost like an autobiography. great read.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #98 on: July 6, 2004, 10:40 PM »
currently reading "i, lucifer" by glen duncan. it's a very interesting book, very funny. basically, god offers the devil a deal: come to earth and take over the body of a poor soul who has just committed suicide, stay out of trouble for one month in this body, and gain re-entry into heaven. but the story is told as a confession by lucifer himself, almost like an autobiography. great read.
Pleased to meet ya, hope you guess my name.  But what's troublin' you is the nature, of my game

Offline Fett_Solo

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 6, 2004, 10:52 PM »
Finished Children of Dune on Sunday. Finished Artemis Fowl:The Eternity Code yesterday morning. Currently reading God Emperor of Dune and The Odyssey.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2004, 11:27 AM »
Just finished re-reading all the Harry Potter books, now I thought I'd go back and re-read Shadows of the Empire...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2004, 11:34 AM »
I'm Reading One FLew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, great book, great movie, great all around

I really haven't read a bad book lately...

I picked up a bunch of used books at Half Priced Books, the rest of the Dune books, It (having never read King) and A Game of Thrones Which I have heard many people say is just as good, if not better than LOTR.  Might be a while before I get there though

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2004, 07:44 PM »
last night i started reading "akira" by katsuhiro otomo. technically, a graphic novel - or novels, i should say - this was released by dark horse comics as six "phone book" size paperbacks, totalling over 2000 pages - 2184 to be exact.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2004, 12:21 AM »
Finished Cuckoo's Nest a few days ago, great book, good use of narration (all of the psychoctic episodes to boot), wonderful villian in Nurse Ratched, I couldn't help but read the part of McMurphy as Jack, its hard not to do.

Right now I'm reading Brave New World, lving every page of it, fits in of my love of future sci-fi gone bad.  Its like 1984 but different...I've read 1984 and Clockwork Orange (sort of along the same lines) and I think this may be my favorite of the three

Just glancing over at my bookshelf...here's what's up next

Dune Messiah
Ulysses
It
A Game of Thrones (read a bunch of rave reviews on Amazon about this, one of their recommendations for me so I bought it)
Children of Dune
God Emperor of Dune

I figure that should get me to next summer :-X  Brave New World is fairly short so I should be back to Arrakis fairly soon here :)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2004, 12:04 PM »
Just finished re-reading all the Harry Potter books, now I thought I'd go back and re-read Shadows of the Empire...

Jeff

Finished SotE, then read the Clone Wars MedStar book that just came out on paperback.  Kind of like ER with Star Wars, Jedi, and Clones thrown in.  Very good little book.  Not the best, but it occupied my time on the plane to and from Boston.

Next up, I'm working on "Mystic River".  Haven't quite started it yet because my wife has about 40 pages left to go, but she should finish it up tonight, then I can start to read it.  (I never saw the movie, so it should be all new to me).

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender