Author Topic: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 191360 times)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #360 on: April 4, 2008, 10:50 PM »
Anne Rice's - The Road to Cana
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 7, 2008, 09:22 AM »
Just a note for book fans, in case you didn't know, the library gives away free books almost every day. I've a massed a small library of books I doubt I'll never get to.  :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 7, 2008, 09:55 AM »
Aside from my reading for class, I picked up Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs the other day at the bookstore.

It is brilliant.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 13, 2008, 01:30 PM »
I recently got through as much of a 9th annual The Year's Best Science Fiction from the library, and just started a book called April in Paris.  It is a story taking place during the Nazi occupation of France, and has a German interpreter falling in love with a French girl.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #364 on: April 13, 2008, 04:34 PM »
I finished Road to Cana and have moved on to Anne Rice's The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #365 on: April 13, 2008, 11:19 PM »
Anybody got any fantasy recommendations?  With Robert Jordan dead, Sword of Truth finished, and the next Song of Fire and Ice months if not years off, I don't have squat.  I'm looking for something complex and adult.  If you've read either of the latter two series, you know what I'm talking about.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #366 on: April 13, 2008, 11:32 PM »
Check out reviews for The Belgariad series.  I'm almost through with Book 3 and it has really grown on me.  I realize almost ALL fantasy is based on the whole quest/magic object/hero story and this one is no exception as there are almost direct analogies to LOTR, but its different enough to be at least entertaining.  Its not as adult as Ice and Fire but I like it...

http://www.amazon.com/Belgariad-Vol-Books-1-3-Magicians/dp/0345456327

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 14, 2008, 12:54 AM »

I've read Bedford Boys and The Longest Winter, so when I heard Alex Kershaw had a new book coming out I had to grab this, it's about the sinking of the submarine Tang and the trials the survivors had to go through afer they were captured. Comes out April 28th for those of you lacking publisher connections  ;D

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 14, 2008, 01:49 AM »
Book two of the swarm war trilogy.  Mixed feelings about Dark Nest I - let's hope this one picks up a little after a slow start.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 14, 2008, 10:06 AM »
I'm on my fourth Thursday Next novel, "Something Rotten" by Jasper Fforde. Great stuff.

Welsh writer Fforde's fourth entry in the zany, hypercreative Thursday Next detective series revisits the "Literary Detective" as she retreats to her hometown of Swindon, England, retiring from the tedious job (as Head of Jurisfiction) she held in Fforde's previous novel, The Well of Lost Plots. Joined by her two-year-old son, Friday, pet dodos Pickwick and Alan, and Hamlet, the Prince of Denmark, Thursday realizes that there's someone missing: her husband, Landen, previously "eradicated" by the Goliath Corporation, a ruthless bio-tech conglomerate corporation. She wants Landen back. Aided by her father, she is reinstated into her old employ, the Special Operations Network, and begins investigating the machinations of power-hungry Fictioneer Yorrick Kaine and the mysterious disappearance of England's president. The fate of the world rests on the outcome of a major croquet tournament, with Thursday pinch-hitting on a lethal playing field as Landen is finally returned to reality (only to fade out again). More than a little wacky, the novel is packed with screwball details as characters get "written" in and out of the story, hybridized creatures stalk malls and Shakespeare clones start popping up everywhere. With humorous illustrations and curious footnotes sprinkled throughout, Fforde's latest will have hardcore fans roaring—but those new to the series might want to tackle the convoluted mayhem from the very beginning.

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 14, 2008, 11:26 AM »

This is the story of the American Revolution from the perspective of several enlisted and low grade officers.  Very interesting and a nice break from seeing the war from the eyes of the generals and leaders at the strategic level.  Gives you a nice insight into the true fighting spirit that made up the soldiers of the Continental army.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 20, 2008, 06:06 PM »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 20, 2008, 08:02 PM »
I'm on the latest Thursday Next book called "First Among Sequals" by Jasper Fforde.

Full of bizarre subplots, many of which don't go anywhere, bestseller Fforde's fifth novel to feature intrepid literary detective Thursday Next (after 2004's Something Rotten) blends elements of mystery, campy science fiction and screwball fantasy à la Terry Pratchett's Discworld. With the Stupidity Surplus reaching dangerously high levels all over England, Acme Carpets employee and undercover SpecOps investigator Next has her hands full trying to persuade her 16-year-old slacker son, Friday, to join the ChronoGuard, which deals with temporal stability; if Friday continues to sleep away his future, the end is near—for everyone. To complicate matters, a malicious apprentice begins making classic works of literature into reality book shows (Pride and Prejudice becomes The Bennets), a ruthless corporation tries to turn the Bookworld into a tourist trap, and the Cheese Enforcement Agency tries to bust Next for smuggling killer curd. The fate of the world may lie in a Longfellow poem. Fans of satiric literary humor are in for a treat.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #373 on: April 21, 2008, 03:19 AM »
History 251: Modern China, MWF 2-2:50

The cover looks like the sort of "chick book" I'd normally run screaming from, and to be honest I was originally going to skip it entirely and save eleven bucks. But it's actually a decent read. It's a sort of biography/memoir of the author, her mother, and grandmother. Between the three of them, they spanned most of the 20th century, from the warlord era, thru Japanese attacks, two world wars, communist revolutions, and so on, up to the '80s or '90s.

And it's not just a load of touchy-feely nonsense either--it actually has a fair amount of legit historical exposition.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 12:49 AM by Nathan »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline 12501

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 22, 2008, 10:45 PM »

« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 10:48 PM by 12501 »
"The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is Reason. I have never used any other, and I trust I never shall" - Thomas Paine, in his introduction to "The Age of Reason"