Author Topic: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 190941 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #585 on: February 11, 2009, 12:39 PM »
It looks like JediJman is really stretching his literary bounderies. I hope he can work his way into the classics like Green Eggs and Ham.

We're already past Green Eggs & Ham, though that is an old favorite.  Unfortunately my reading is pretty much just limited to what we read the kids these days.   :-\
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: February 11, 2009, 01:25 PM »
Hi, I'm John and I'm also a children's book-a-holic.  Lately its been all Elmo and Curious George books.  We're working on shapes, colors, numbers, etc.  I have about a half dozen books that I'd like to be reading instead, but I too have been limited to the books with pictures lately...
I am not the Stig

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: February 13, 2009, 07:55 PM »
I'm now reading "1984" by George Orwell and really enjoying it because Big Brother is always watching....Always watching....

"Outside, even through the shut window pane, the world looked cold. Down in the street little eddies of wind were whirling dust and torn paper into spirals, and though the sun was shining and the sky a harsh blue, there seemed to be no color in anything except the posters that were plastered everywhere."
The year is 1984; the scene is London, largest population center of Airstrip One.

Airstrip One is part of the vast political entity Oceania, which is eternally at war with one of two other vast entities, Eurasia and Eastasia. At any moment, depending upon current alignments, all existing records show either that Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia and allied with Eastasia, or that it has always been at war with Eastasia and allied with Eurasia. Winston Smith knows this, because his work at the Ministry of Truth involves the constant "correction" of such records. "'Who controls the past,' ran the Party slogan, 'controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.'"

In a grim city and a terrifying country, where Big Brother is always Watching You and the Thought Police can practically read your mind, Winston is a man in grave danger for the simple reason that his memory still functions. He knows the Party's official image of the world is a fluid fiction. He knows the Party controls the people by feeding them lies and narrowing their imaginations through a process of bewilderment and brutalization that alienates each individual from his fellows and deprives him of every liberating human pursuit from reasoned inquiry to sexual passion. Drawn into a forbidden love affair, Winston finds the courage to join a secret revolutionary organization called The Brotherhood, dedicated to the destruction of the Party. Together with his beloved Julia, he hazards his life in a deadly match against the powers that be.

Newspeak, doublethink, thoughtcrime--in 1984, George Orwell created a whole vocabulary of words concerning totalitarian control that have since passed into our common vocabulary. More importantly, he has portrayed a chillingly credible dystopia. In our deeply anxious world, the seeds of unthinking conformity are everywhere in evidence; and Big Brother is always looking for his chance.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: February 14, 2009, 09:44 AM »
That's a really good book.  I had to start it twice though as I felt the first bit of it was overly dry.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 16, 2009, 02:55 PM »
British stuff is usually kind of dry. You got to have the right frame of mind for something like this.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #590 on: February 23, 2009, 01:53 AM »

Bandwagon reading ftw. ;D
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #591 on: February 24, 2009, 06:58 PM »
I just finished Cesar Milan's book Cesar's Way.  It's helped me understand my dogs and why they do half the crap they do!

as soon as my wife's done with it, I'm going to read Cesar's new book A Member of the Family.  We're getting a new puppy next month and we want to give her a balanced life from day one!   :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #592 on: February 25, 2009, 01:27 PM »
I've been reading this while serving jury duty this week:

First time I've ever read it.  And I'm a little surprised about how much different it apparently is from the movie.  Kubrick definitely took some liberties with this one.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #593 on: February 26, 2009, 08:30 PM »
Well I gave up on the Brian Herbert/KJA continuations of Dune without even finishing the first one. It wasn't bad, but it just didn't live up to the (admittedly lofty) expectations of the "real" Dune.

Basically I figured there was too much "original" work out there that I hadn't already read, to waste time on knockoffs.

Which is why I started this yesterday:

Considering it took me half a year to do Dune, this series should easily keep me busy until #12 comes out in the fall.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 08:35 PM by Nathan »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: February 27, 2009, 07:29 AM »
Finished:

Started:

Most likely up next:

Common sense isn't so common

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: February 27, 2009, 09:52 AM »

Everything I have at the house by Bill Holm (pictured above). He was a Professor of mine in college that passed away on Wednesday. 

The Heart Can Be Filled Anywhere on Earth: Minneota, Minnesota

Coming Home Crazy: An Alphabet of China Essays
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: February 27, 2009, 12:57 PM »
I'm now onto a piece of slock called "School Days" by Robert B. Parker. It's a weird transition going from masterpiece literature to this. Oh well. I think the TV show was better anyway. I've got some good stuff coming up after this one.

Any new installment in Parker's long-running series starring tough, wisecracking Boston PI Spenser is a pleasure, and this time out high-maintenance girlfriend Susan Silverman is out of town, giving readers unfettered Spenser face time. The wealthy Lily Ellsworth hires Spenser to prove the innocence of her grandson, Jared Clark, accused of a Columbine High School–style shooting that has left five students and two teachers dead. Jared has confessed to the crime, and Spenser faces major opposition from local law enforcement officials, school authorities, dysfunctional parents, opposing lawyers and deadly gang-bangers. As always, Spenser solves the case in a surprising manner, shoots some bad guys and has several attractive women offer him sex, all of which he handles in his proficient, wisenheimer way. Susan's German shorthaired pointer Pearl gets a lot of attentive babysitting, but longtime sidekick Hawk is nowhere in evidence. Those who have stuck with Spenser as Parker invented (and set loose) other case-crackers will be rewarded once again with another solid installment in this fine, enduring series.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 12:58 PM by Master_Phruby »

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: February 27, 2009, 02:16 PM »
Phruby- 1984 is my favorite novel of all time.  I hope you enjoyed it as much as I do!  I just finished Fight Club (found the narrative really choppy, but about as enjoyable as the film).  Perhaps the most shocking thing was written in the afterword: the author was approached by a banquet waiter who claimed to have dropped his semen into Margaret Thatcher's food on at least five separate occasions.  Makes you careful how often you eat out!  I'm still slowly reading Return of the King, and quickly reading a Last of the Jedi young reader novel #7.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: February 27, 2009, 04:51 PM »
I really enjoyed 1984. I loved all the talk about how the new language was designed and how the government was setup. It's funny how he missed the whole global economy aspect.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #599 on: February 28, 2009, 04:31 PM »
I've got about 200 pages left in War And Peace.

That's impressive. Did you enjoy it?

It's a great book. Time consuming, but very much worth it.

After War And Peace, I read The Four Feathers. I'm still not sure what to think about that one... it has all the potential in the world to be a great book, but it's so damned short that you don't connect with any of the characters. The main dude is supposed to suffer trials over a course of five or six years, but that length of time isn't illustrated at all - it's just noted that many years have passed, and then the story moves on just like the characters haven't changed one bit in the mean time. Decent book, doesn't live up to its potential.

Now I'm almost done reading Thus Spoke Zarathustra. Some of it's funny, some of it's smart, and some of it doesn't make a lick of sense.

In honor of the upcoming anniversary of the Civil War battle of Shiloh, I plan on reading Shelby Foote's Shiloh: A Novel as soon as it shows up in the mail. Managed to pick it up for $0.74 + shipping on Amazon's Used Books page.