Author Topic: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 189166 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #1065 on: September 16, 2012, 10:38 PM »
Yeah I read that this Spring, really well done

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: September 17, 2012, 09:30 AM »
Christmas present that I'm just getting to, but should also serve as a source for my masters thesis.  It's a pretty good read if you are interested in the day to day activities of command in Iraq interspersed with action in the field during the search for Sadaam.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: September 22, 2012, 11:58 PM »
"The Ups and Downs of Raising a Bipolar Child: A Survival Guide for Parents"; and
"A Clash of Kings" by George R R Martin; and
"Becoming a Woman of Extraordinary Faith: What If You Gave It All to God?" by Julie Clinton
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: September 24, 2012, 12:22 PM »
about a 1/3 through Dance with Dragons.  After binge-reading through the series, I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I'm done with the wait for the next installment.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: October 4, 2012, 11:10 AM »
I dislike reading generally, because it is so time-consuming and as a former English major I just find it tiresome as a mental exercise, but I finally picked up The Godfather by Mario Puzo.

I know the movies backwards and forwards, so I was always keen to read the book hoping it would be like Harry Potter and there would be tons of interesting stuff that they left out of the movies.

I'm only a couple of chapters in, so we'll see. It is already overwhelmingly apparent to me that the movies are FAR, FAR SUPERIOR to the book itself, at least as an artistic enterprise.

Puzo had a great story to tell but he is no master of prose, IMHO. Coppolla really breathed life into that thing and gave it a bread and depth all his own.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: October 4, 2012, 11:41 AM »
Just started:

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: October 4, 2012, 12:26 PM »
I dislike reading generally, because it is so time-consuming and as a former English major I just find it tiresome as a mental exercise, but I finally picked up The Godfather by Mario Puzo.

I know the movies backwards and forwards, so I was always keen to read the book hoping it would be like Harry Potter and there would be tons of interesting stuff that they left out of the movies.

I'm only a couple of chapters in, so we'll see. It is already overwhelmingly apparent to me that the movies are FAR, FAR SUPERIOR to the book itself, at least as an artistic enterprise.

Puzo had a great story to tell but he is no master of prose, IMHO. Coppolla really breathed life into that thing and gave it a breadth and depth all his own.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #1072 on: October 20, 2012, 08:14 AM »
Been reading Caesar's Civil War with what little time I have. His book on the war in Gaul is so much better and apparently more genuine that this one is coming along painfully slow. The preface actually states outright that only the first third is "probably" Caesar and the remainder is absolutely not his words.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: October 22, 2012, 09:25 PM »
Now reading, "Ghost Story: A Novel of the Dresden Files" by Jim Butcher.

When an unknown someone shoots him and leaves him to die, Harry Dresden hopes he might be heading to a better place. Unfortunately, being dead doesn’t make Harry’s life any easier.

Trapped between life and death, he learns that his friends are in serious trouble. Only by finding his murderer can he save his friends and move on—a feat which would be a lot easier if he had a body and access to his powers. Worse still are the malevolent shadows that roam Chicago, controlled by a dark entity that wants Harry to suffer even in death.

Now, the late Harry Dresden will have to pull off the ultimate trick without using any magic—or face an eternity as just another lost soul…
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: October 22, 2012, 09:28 PM »
Already reading on the Kindle, "Empire  (In Her Name: Redemption #1)" by Michael Hicks.

EMPIRE is the coming-of-age story of Reza Gard, a young boy of the Human Confederation who is swept up in the century-long war with the alien Kreelan Empire. Nightmarish female warriors with blue skin, fangs, and razor sharp talons, the Kreelans have technology that is millennia beyond that of the Confederation, yet they seek out close combat with sword and claw, fighting and dying to honor their god-like Empress.

Captured and enslaved, Reza must live like his enemies in a grand experiment to see if humans have souls, and if one may be the key to unlocking an ages old curse upon the Kreelan race. Enduring the brutal conditions of Kreelan life, Reza and a young warrior named Esah-Zhurah find themselves bound together by fate and a prophecy foretold millennia before they were born.

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: October 23, 2012, 03:33 PM »
Continuing the "Song of Ice and Fire" series... Now on "A Feast for Crows."  Man, this one is the weakest one so far.  Not enough going on and the interesting characters are left out for the next installment.  I guess I find that I don't give a damn about the people on the Iron Islands.  Maybe that'll change once things get moving?

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: November 12, 2012, 11:13 AM »
Today I finished "About the Sublime" by Casio Longinus
an aesthetian whose book continues in certain way
"Ars Poetica" by Quinto Horatius Flacus.

Longinus is strongly inspired by Demostenes and Plato.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: November 12, 2012, 05:21 PM »
And now, A Dance with Dragons.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #1078 on: November 13, 2012, 07:34 AM »
Y'all are nerds.

Reading Divine Comedy.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: November 13, 2012, 10:39 AM »
Y'all are nerds.

Takes one to know one.  :P