Author Topic: JD Fantasy Baseball 2007  (Read 31483 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Baseball 2007
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2007, 11:37 AM »
Looking forward to Dressel's annual draft assessment.   

I actually have a much needed day off tomorrow, and I will get on it then.

I trust you're well under way at this point!   8)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2007, 12:35 PM »
I started analyzing things, and then I realized that I know I drafted a ridiculous team last year that I thought was going to be a slam dunk for the trophy.  Half way through the year, I had only Felipe Lopez and Eric Chavez left standing that hadn't been injured for a significant stretch.  It was an injury riddled disaster.

I guess it's kinda pointless to post predictions.  Between all the injuries these days, and the constant pickups/drops, our teams are going to look vastly different by the end of the year.

Maybe I'll do it anyhow.

:)
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2007, 03:13 PM »
Can we redo the draft.  My Sports Illustrated baseball preview issue arrived today ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2007, 03:20 PM »
Does it say anything about Liriano?   :-X

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2007, 06:33 PM »

I heard just a couple weeks ago that Liriano had Tommy John surgery and would be out for the entire 2007 season.  He should be back for 2008, but I've heard that it takes 2 years from the surgery to get back to the level you were at before the injury.

He could just turn out to be a 1/2 season flash in the pan.

But to quote the periodical that Bug refers to, on page 97 left colum it states "...Francisco Liriano, who's most likely out for the season after Tommy John surgery..."
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 06:36 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2007, 07:37 PM »

I heard just a couple weeks ago that Liriano had Tommy John surgery and would be out for the entire 2007 season.  He should be back for 2008, but I've heard that it takes 2 years from the surgery to get back to the level you were at before the injury.

He could just turn out to be a 1/2 season flash in the pan.

But to quote the periodical that Bug refers to, on page 97 left colum it states "...Francisco Liriano, who's most likely out for the season after Tommy John surgery..."
I hope he comes back...but its almost exactly the story of Scott Erickson all over again.

Erickson was absolutely ripping apart the league as a rookie in '91, hurt his elbow and was never the same...get well Francisco

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2007, 08:56 PM »
I'm actually a little bit more than disturbed at how little grief I've taken over that pick.  I didn't have much time to do any research this year and I only checked a few things and one had him listed as possible this season ::)  So it's a wasted 8th round pick.  Not good for me, especially looking at who I could have snagged instead, but whaddya gonna do?

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2007, 09:04 PM »
I'm not even a Twinkie fan, but as a baseball fan I just hate to see young "lights out" talent get hurt like that.

Assuming health, there's a certain upper tier of pitchers who have that kind of talent where they can just take over a game and put the opposition away.  It's obviously open for debate, but I consider that group currently to be:

Johan Santana
Chris Carpenter +
Francisco Liriano +
Roy Oswalt
Carlos Zambrano
Roy Halladay +
Rich Harden +
Pedro Martinez +
Scott Kazmir +
Cole Hamels +
Ben Sheets +
Jake Peavy +
Mark Prior +   
Kerry Wood +

Now everyone with the "+" either is hurt, or was significantly hurt in the past 2 seasons.  Does the ability to straight up put a batter's lights out and K 200 batters a year put you at a higher likelihood to get hurt or for your arm to fall off?

Anyhow, I don't like seeing injuries at all, but when players on that list go down, it really puts a damper on things as a fan.  As it is, Pedro's practically out for the year, Kerry Wood is already banged up, and Mark Prior is clinging to his status as a baseball player in the Cubs minor league affiliates.

With the season right around the corner, it's Dressel's pitching staff man crush time:

The fury is unleashed April 1st, 2007.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2007, 09:11 PM »
I'm actually a little bit more than disturbed at how little grief I've taken over that pick.  I didn't have much time to do any research this year and I only checked a few things and one had him listed as possible this season ::)  So it's a wasted 8th round pick.  Not good for me, especially looking at who I could have snagged instead, but whaddya gonna do?

I did sneak in a one liner in the draft java window, but I have had mercy on you since the Hawaii trip NFL Canuckleheads downward spiral followed closely by the emergence of the fact that Gerald Wallace is leading me to another trophy (or a near miss).  I didn't want to pile too much on in the emotional distress department.

But it is true that Matsuzaka, Harden, Kazmir, Sheets, Bonderman and Papelbon all went after the Liriano pick.

Since you're the defending champ, I'll stop there.

:)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 5, 2007, 12:11 PM »
Albert Pujols: 1/10.

Boo-yah.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 5, 2007, 01:07 PM »
Albert Pujols: 1/10.

Boo-yah.

Yep.  I drafted first in my league and he was the #1 pick.  I don't doubt he'll come around, I just hope it's not too long.  Actually the whole Cardinals team looks like ****.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 6, 2007, 12:29 AM »
Okay, did I really draft this badly?!   Or is my average team just off to a horrid start?

Ortiz, Tejada, Wright, Ichiro, Zambrano, Webb, Giambi and almost nothing to show for it.

Surely my team isn't this bad.   :-\

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 6, 2007, 03:48 PM »
Okay, did I really draft this badly?!   Or is my average team just off to a horrid start?

Both.

I already chatted with you about this via PM, and I normally praise your squads that are typically very strong, but you had a bad draft.  I think your only strength is starting pitching, and it's only as good as the best pitching teams in our league, not better.

I feel pretty confident that you're in the lower half of the league in the power numbers, and only average in speed and batting average.  Your closers are pretty weak as well.  Unless you make some trades or score a couple of free agent pickups that turn out to be top tier players, I don't think you can win this year.
« Last Edit: April 6, 2007, 03:49 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 6, 2007, 05:18 PM »
Ouch - despite a mildly respectable 3rd place last year, this just goes to show that of the four major fantasy sports, Baseball is the one I know the least about as far as players and assembling a good team.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 7, 2007, 11:53 AM »
I've got one too many power hitting 1B's - anyone interested in Giambi or Delgado?  Either could be had for a similar player at 2B, OF, or a solid closer.