Author Topic: Carded collector thinking of going loose for 30AC. Thoughts?  (Read 8798 times)

Offline King_Maul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Carded collector thinking of going loose for 30AC. Thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 10:14 PM »
Very good topic.  I, like a few on this thread, have contemplated about going from carded to loose collecting.  The main reason is space for me.  Keeping everything carded takes up so much space, and it's almost a sin to buy a carded figure, store it into a box, and then store the box in the closet or garage so it's not seen.  I don't have anymore wall space to hang them, so now I have to make the decision, do I begin taking down parts of my carded collection and put them into storage to make space for the new cards or do I start tearing things open and display figures in a display or bookshelf?  I think with TAC and the packin coins, the decision for me can be made easier.  I will collect this next line loose, and may be buy a duplicate of the figures I REALLY like to keep carded.  I hope once I start I won't want to go back to carded collecting!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 12:01 AM »
I hope once I start I won't want to go back to carded collecting!

That's my big fear is wanting to go back once those figs have come and gone.  I've had that happen before and it sucks trying to track down stuff you missed the first time around - especially carded stuff.  At some point though, you do end up running out of space.   :-\
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline ddschneider1972

• Youngling
  • Go Bucks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 12:30 PM »
well, I've never regretted opening anything (even my Toy Fair Vader, althought I do have one still carded also) To me looking at a carded figure online is about the same as looking at a carded figure in your hands, it looks exactly the same, and peoples carded displays look less like a collection and more like a Toys R Us aisle.
With loose figures you can move them around into different poses, display them a variety of ways, display them together, literally "experience" it as a toy like it was meant to be. Kind of like owning a book with a nice cover, it looks nice but you don't get the full enjoyment until you've read it. I still have some carded (Vaders & Yodas) so I can appreciate the art and design, and progression thereof. (except the design of the TAC figures....good lord I hope Hasbro doesn't hire on as a full time designer the sophomore intern from the local community college that designed those atrocities ....)   

-Dan, a reformed carded collector
"Modern Collectors are just Walmart Shoppers" -The new SW "Fan Club" President

They are right, everything is big in Texas, even the defeats...The Buckeyes are (still) #1!!!!!!!!

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 11:47 PM »
I do like having a set of those "vintage" figures carded.  Since I will never have enough mula to buy the original carded ones.  Unfortunately that means buying 2 of almost all of them since those figures kick much ass loose.

Offline Nick

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2007, 02:41 PM »
Well, I went to IKEA today, got said display cabinet and opened wave 1 to display them.  I've purchased an extra GM to keep carded and left the Concept Stormtrooper on card as well.

30AC will all be loose.  Thanks for all the input.

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2007, 08:32 PM »
I collect loose.  I guess it comes down to having the figures available so my son can grab what he wants to play with. That and the fact that I still like to grab a Maul and a Qui Gon or Obi Wan/Vader/Luke and do lightsaber battles. I guess the bigger question I am asking now is as my son is turning 13 this year and only plays occassionally with the figures, what am I going to do with all this stuff? Will I eventually pack it up until I have grandkids? Or do I do what a friend recently did and sell off everything they don't want, and just keep some themes like Jedi, Sith, Clones/Stormtroopers and main characters (best figure from each movie for main characters)? Time will tell.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline AndyG

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Outpost
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007, 03:11 AM »
I'd say if you are thinking about it - go for it.

I stopped collecting MOC about 2000 and haven't looked back since.

I kept the VOTC carded for a while but opened them up after a few months.

Offline ddschneider1972

• Youngling
  • Go Bucks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 11:35 AM »
For some reason I trimmed around the bubble with and exacto under a couple of the edges and removed the figure and kept the card, so if I ever want to re-desiplay them carded i can...don't know why I decided to do that.
"Modern Collectors are just Walmart Shoppers" -The new SW "Fan Club" President

They are right, everything is big in Texas, even the defeats...The Buckeyes are (still) #1!!!!!!!!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2007, 01:10 PM »
I've never, ever regretted opening a figure.  I fact I feel better after opening a figure.

But do what makes you happy.

:P

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2007, 02:54 PM »
I've never, ever regretted opening a figure.  I fact I feel better after opening a figure.

But do what makes you happy.

:P

I sadly have regretted opening many a figure. For some reason i'll get the urge to open a figure then when it's in my hands I end up hating it and getting rid of it. There aren't many SW figures that this has happened with though, mostly McF and Marvel Legends...

As for 30AC, i've decided to only collect the McQ pieces, Holiday Fett and maybe a few others. Most of which (McQ) i'll keep carded. I just like the look of these figures carded w/the coin...

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2007, 10:57 AM »
I had started collecting certain figures carded from time to time. The temptation to open such figures that I never had as a kid was too great and I started opening. I do keep the cards to store figures in in the case of moving but these figures are made to breath and posed... 30AC figures especially!

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2007, 01:07 PM »
I'm also in the same mindset- there's only a few of the 30 AC collection I'll be getting- new figures and maybe the concepts figures.   I've been openening pretty much everything lately (see the Great Unboxing of 2006) and am now contemplating just de-carding most of my figures- I've got POTJ, OTC,  Clone Wars (both) hanging on walls and I think I'd rather put up some posters instead- it would also free up some space for another detolf or two.   I've also got POTF2 and EP1 carded figures in boxes in the closet...   I'll free up so much space by freeing everything.. and then I'll display all of them loose.   Anyone need any star cases?

Oboewan
"Who is more the fool... the fool or the fool who posts after him?"

Offline tonphanan

• Jedi Initiate
  • " Has anyone seen my wits?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2007, 11:31 PM »
I'm a carded collector, but room has started to become an issue. Displaying loose is nice if you have a good place to display them such as the cabinet that was talked about. My only problem with loose is what do you do with the extra weapons/accessories that do not fit on the figure.
Throw an Ewok at him