Author Topic: Star Wars Cans  (Read 3934 times)

Offline wai

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Star Wars Cans
« on: May 15, 2003, 06:46 AM »
Hi everyone,
I'm love to collect sw cans but it's hard for me.
Now I have about 30 cans.Mostly are Ep1.I
want to collect SE cans but they are always
cost so much.Empty or full to display?I have no idea.My favouraite is Japan AOTC set.They
look great.What is yours?
www.starwars-force.com~~"The only Chinese starwars web site"

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Cans
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2003, 08:09 AM »
Absolutely, 100% with zero exceptions, ALWAYS empty your cans  ;D

There are different methods you can use, but empty cans are better cans, and safer for your collection.

I'd suggest draining them from the bottom. One or two small nail holes should drain it all out. This is what most can collectors do. Just make sure to wash it.

The other, Im not as familiar with. You chill the can for a while, then open it until you hear the air rush into the can (but not all the way, and not far enough to notice it is opened). Immediately run it under hot water, and everything will be forced out. Do this until its empty. Then I think you do the opposite to fill the can with cold water and rinse it. Like I said, not too familiar with this method.

Right now, I have the following sets:
Episode 1:
US, standard
US, metal display case
US 4 shot prototype set
Canada
UK
Germany
Singapore
A few other countries, cant remember which
Episode 2:
Japan
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline wai

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2003, 10:38 AM »
Hey,I know the methods but I still have some full.
www.starwars-force.com~~"The only Chinese starwars web site"

Jango Fettish

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2003, 11:24 AM »
Me too.

I've got a Japanese Jango Fett Pepsi can that is just resting with my Jango Fett shirts, sleepin' like a baby.

I figured if you empty the can, and the aluminum is so thin, you'll run a bigger risk of denting the can over time.

Of course, this is the only "collectible" can I own.  :P

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2003, 03:46 AM »
I picked up a couple complete sets of the Episode 1 cans during their release, and have yet to drain any of them out due to nothing but pure laziness (and the fact that they've been up in storage for a couple years now).  Never snagged the Gold Yoda can though.  Haven't felt like dropping $20 on an aluminum can just yet, but I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually.

There haven't been any other standard SW cans released domestically here in the States, besides the Ep. 1 cans, right?  I'm pretty sure there hasn't been...

On a related note, did anyone pick up that Pepsi display rack for the complete set of Episode 1 cans?  If so, how is it?  Pretty cool, and worth the money?  Or not all that great?  Not sure if I should bother picking this thing up or not to eventually display my cans in.  Feel free to enlighten me please!  Adam, is that what you're referring to above when you say "metal display case"?

Cool collectibles the cans are though!

Offline Sith Bounty Hunter

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hunting new figures daily
    • View Profile
Episode 1 Pespi Cans
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2003, 01:06 PM »
Just curious if anyone had or did collect the Episode 1 Limited Edititon Pepsi cans. I had around 13 of the whole 24 cans, but my mom threw them away and I only got one now! >:(

By JediMAC:
SBH - I merged your SW can post with the rest of the conversation on collecting SW cans...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2003, 01:44 PM by JediMAC »
Dont under estimate the power of a sith lord

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2003, 02:30 PM »
I don't collect cans but I'd take Adam's advice on opening it if I were you.  Drain and rinse.

I had a can of coke sitting around here at work for the longest time.  Nice controlled environment, never too hot, never too cold.  One day, about 2 1/2 years after putting it on the shelf, psssssst, it opened itself and proceeded to drench everything around it including my monitor at work :-[  One new monitor later and I never leave sealed cans around.  

I've had old cans of pop rupture at home as well, for no apparent reason.  I'm sure there is a reason, but I don't know it.  

You've been warned. ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2003, 04:11 PM »
I had a can of coke sitting around here at work for the longest time.  Nice controlled environment, never too hot, never too cold.  One day, about 2 1/2 years after putting it on the shelf, psssssst, it opened itself and proceeded to drench everything around it including my monitor at work :-[  

Uh-oh...   :'(  Though I've always intended to eventually drain my set of Ep. 1 cans, I never quite got around to it, so they're currently sitting in my storage facility - still full.  So if they start busting open, I'm gonna be in deep doodoo!   :-\

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2003, 04:52 PM »
Those Pepsi cans are pretty cheap as well. I had them full, in a temperature controlled room (a constant 65), and I had one start leaking. I didnt know why theyd leak in such temperatures, so I put them in a plastic crate to see if any more would do it. Over the course of a couple of weeks, three more started leaking. Kind of cool though, I could never see where they leaked from, and they were completely empty! :)

Drain your cans, for your collection's sake  :D
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."