Author Topic: Opinions on the Trade Federation AAT?  (Read 6723 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Opinions on the Trade Federation AAT?
« on: April 22, 2008, 09:34 AM »
Ok, another vehicle opinion question.  With the short break coming up from most of the current SW offerings, I've been looking at some things I had to pass on earlier and see if I wanted to pick them up now or not.  One of those is the AAT.  I know its been released a few times in various pain schemes, and I was just curious if this was a decent ship.  I see the TAC version is currently in stock at HTS, so I could pick it up from there I guess if I decided I wanted it.  After checking out TPM for the first time in awhile on Spike TV lately, it sort of "reminded" me of some of these prequel ships that I never got around to picking up.  Can anyone recommend the AAT, or is it better to pass?  Is one version/paint scheme significantly better than another?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 09:34 AM by Brian »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions on the Trade Federation AAT?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 10:09 AM »
For a display piece it's fine.

As a toy, it sucks ass.  All of the pieces fall off the second you touch it - the side guns, the turret, the canon that attaches to the turret, the front 'compartment' - you get the idea.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 02:46 PM »
I never had any problems with pieces falling off of my AAT's.

I prefer the newer paint scheme over the EPI version (sold my EPI tanks a while back).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 03:49 PM »
It's not the most sturdy...  The front especially because of the lame action feature.  It's a vehicle I'm sort of on the fence about.  Part of me feels it's acceptable, part of me feels it's kind of lame.  In the end I guess I felt it could've turned out better so I haven't bought another one since my E1 one and a couple duplicates someone offered me for $5 each.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 05:08 PM »
I never had any problems with pieces falling off of my AAT's.

I prefer the newer paint scheme over the EPI version (sold my EPI tanks a while back).

I with Chewie on this one. The new paint scheme blows away the older versions. I have not sold my old tanks yet but that sounds like a good idea I will muster over I only have 1 EP! version and 1 Clone Wars version.

Brian I love the TAC version so much I bought 4 of them. GET IT!
See 2 of them on display in my collection thread pictures:
(Scroll down for close ups in my droid area)

http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=17257.0
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 06:11 PM »
I love the AAT, it is definitely one of my favorite vehicles in the line. I have one for now, but I'd like to buy another and I probably will. I recommend it! :)

P.S. How different are the TPM and Clone Wars versions? I never got either of those so I'm just curious...
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 06:32 PM »
Pretty significant differences...  It's essentially like looking at one that rolled off the factory floor into battle, and one that has seen a couple years of war and has Separatist markings on it.  It's pretty significant and worth checking out.  I'd agree if you're getting one, get the CW one, but ultimately it doesn't hurt to have either I suppose.  One's just way more dirty and darker.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 07:19 PM »
Jesse, I think you're mixing up your tanks. I think Robo-Quack is talking about the 2003 retool, not the 2006/07 repaint.

As for the TPM and Clone Wars tanks... the colors on the outside are pretty much the same. The major difference is the color of the battle droid inside the tank. (Clone Wars has maroon, TPM has tan) Another difference is the removal of the auto-remove front hatch feature on the Clone Wars tank. (When you push the button to reveal the battle damage droid on the TPM tank, the front cover would also fling off.)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 08:03 PM »
Yeah, Greg is correct.  I don't have the Clone Wars version of the tank (although I wish I did have it instead of the Episode I version, due to exactly what Greg describes), but the construction of the 30AC version from last year seems much more solid than the TPM version.  The side guns are much more secure and snap in place firmly, the front hatch is secure and doesn't come loose, and even the antennae are more rigid than the super-rubbery 2000 TPM version.  Even though I'm all about film accuracy, the 2007 30AC version looks great, and is one of the best vehicle repaints Hasbro's done, IMHO.

Go ahead and spring for it, Brian.  It's well worth picking up in its newer incarnation. :)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 09:11 AM »
I never knew that about the CW version as I never opened picked up an opener. I do like the vehicle though. The only part I find annoying is the easy-fall-off front cover. Other than that, it displays great.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 12:51 AM »
I am late to this thread but here it goes.  My son opened this a few weeks ago.  I gave him my boxed Ep1 AAT.  I forgot I even had it boxed.  Anyway, he really likes it.  Then again he is only 3.  But I will say it falls apart a lot.  Especially the side turret guns and that front cover thing.  He is not very aggressive with it either.  He turns the guns and they fall right off.  Not the sturdiest toy.  But it's still a fun toy over all. 

Offline Nute Gunray 4 Ever

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 3, 2008, 02:55 AM »
I have slowly run out of space to store my Star Wars purchases, so I have had to severely restrict my diet to 3 3/4 figures and the titanium mini vehicles.

However, I will say that of all the vehicles I do own, and I own quite a few, that the AAT is by far, my favorite.

I am a stickler for movie accuracy and unobstrusive "action" features on my vehicles, and the original TPM AAT delivers.

For purely asthetic reasons, I prefer the paint deco of the TPM version over the TAC version. They are both cool, but TPM tank is shown very prominietly in that film.

Just my thoughts!