Author Topic: TRU Gold Squadron Y-Wing Fighter  (Read 52376 times)

Offline darth punkinhed

• Jedi Initiate
  • You did what? With who's cow? For a FF Weequay?
    • View Profile
Re: TRU Gold Squadron Y-Wing Fighter
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2007, 04:45 PM »
I went looking for this at retail over the weekend hopeing I could find it but all I could find was the Tie Interceptor. I can't believe the interceptor is $6 more. I ended up getting the lego hoth rebel base set instead since it was the last one they had.

I'm holding out, I thought the x-wing, big wing tie and AT-AT would be done deals by now but I still see those at retail. Hopefully these will show up in volume at some point and I won't have to worry about careless packaging in shipping. I'm not exactly a sealed collector but I keep boxes and I like them to be in good shape.
The most prized possession of my entire star wars collection is my Sega Trilogy Special Edition Pinball Machine.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2007, 05:04 PM »
Found this today, and did a little bit of soul searching over whether or not I would actually buy it. The Y-Wing was one of my favorite vintage toy ships, so it really had that going for it, but having a modern one already (the Target exclusive one) I didn't really feel it was missing from my collection.

In the end I bought it because of the strength of the pack-ins, and I am glad I did. Neat to have Lepira and another R5. Love the more accurate new chin guns. A couple of "new" deco changes I see are the engine covering pieces being molded in a bright orange plastic (gives the interior of the enginge more of a glow) and the purple tint to the cockpit glass. The landing gear are not nearly the issue of the Target version--I remember having to take that one apart and put the pieces together correctly myself as it could not stand up on its own. Seems like that is corrected.

Overall, I feel this is more than a decent buy for the price. I am satisfied in the "value" of the ship.

Looking it over, I am still amazed at the level of intricacy of the sculpt that still doesn't seem to be done justice by the much-improved paint aps. The only gripe I have is the lack of attention to the parts of the astromech sculpted on the ship itself--these should be off-white but instead are the same gray/dark-gray wash as the rest of the ship. Perhaps having this Y-Wing will finally free me up to do a touch-up paint job on my other and see how well I can make it look.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2007, 07:07 PM »
I got mine from tru as well in the same big shipping box with no packing. Mine came up without a scratch luckily since i wont be opening it.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2007, 04:09 AM »
I got mine yesterday for my BD!

This is a nicely packaged ship. Set's itself up nicely for being a mini diorama.

The price is excellent at $29.99. For that you get a ship (mostly rehashed with large guns, new paint wash), pilot (again mostly rehashed, except the head and helmet), and a droid (a repaint of R5-D4). I'm not complaining either. While the pilot body chosen isn't the best, it does what it needs to for this set. The droid is a very welcome repaint. The ship is very nice. I especially like that Hasbro lengthened the guns in the fore section. The paint wash give the ship a more lived in feeling.

So if you look at it this way, for the $30 you got two figures for $7 each and the ship for only $16.  A great deal, IMO.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2007, 05:19 AM »
This is an excellent value.  And I hope that this kind of packaging for Rebel fighters becomes a standard.  A pilot, astro droid plus the vehicle make for a very nice set.  But the concern that brings up is that the Rebel pilot body that Hasbro has been using might be too large for the X-Wing that seems to be the new standard for that vehicle.  I personally haven't tried to fit Biggs or Wedge into the modern X-Wing, but I get the feeling they might be too big for that cockpit.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2007, 09:19 AM »
I've tried putting the "big" bodies into the x-wing. They really don't fit. It's mainly the right arm that's the problem.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 6, 2007, 05:56 PM »
This is an excellent value. 

Was an excellent value.

Their site now has a price of $34.99 and the guys in the Minnesota thread are finding brick and mortars have bumped the price up $5.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 6, 2007, 07:48 PM »
I'm having second thoughts about buying this, having 2 of the first re-release Y-Wing.  I really like the paintjob and the chin guns, but not sure if I like them for $30  :P
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 7, 2007, 09:12 AM »
This is an excellent value. 

Was an excellent value.

Their site now has a price of $34.99 and the guys in the Minnesota thread are finding brick and mortars have bumped the price up $5.

For once, finding something early has paid off.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2007, 03:36 PM »
Anyone else notice TRU raised the price to $34.99! Bastards!
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2007, 03:48 PM »
Anyone else notice TRU raised the price to $34.99! Bastards!

Well...everyone kept "complaining" on how much of a good deal it was and that's just not TRU policy, but it's still worth it IMO.  I had the chance during the 1-2 week window to snag one at $29.99, but the boxes were mostly tore up.  I'm still happy with my $35 version.  :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2008, 06:47 PM »
These have been sitting at my local TRU for a while... Considering picking one up. What's the measurements on this thing, in inches? I'm seeing if I have space for it on my shelves.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2008, 06:51 PM »
Most of these left my TRU's a while ago though I did see one the other day.  At the holidays they seemed to blow out...  I think they're about 12" long or so.  not much more or less though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2008, 08:24 PM »
The box itself is 22" long with about 1" gap on either end of the ship, so it's roughly 20" L
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2008, 07:52 PM »
Thanks guys.  :) Picked this up at TRU earlier today. Great vehicle, and nice pack-in figures. Even at the raised price of $35 it's still a good value.