Author Topic: Ultra Line in 2007?  (Read 8107 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Ultra Line in 2007?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2007, 03:22 AM »
This is interesting to read as Hasbro is making a few of these ideas in the basic line. Octuptarra Droid, Droideka with shields, and Han Solo with Bespin Torture Rack, so why would any one want to pay $10 or more of what they are offering to us for $7? With that many of these ideas could be worked into the basic line, like NEW Owen Lars with Moisture Vaporator, Nute Gunray w/ Mechno-Chair & Darth Sidious Hologram, C-3PO (dirty deco) with Oil Bath, Death Star Trooper with Control Room Console, etc.

If they do bring back this line I would like to see some bigger items included, like Admiral Ackbar w/Endor & Death Star 2 Hologram table, Geonosian Picador with Orray, Death Star Gunner with Cannon, etc. Even it is bumped the price up a bit, it would still be cool.
roron corobb

It certainly does make you scratch your head a bit, huh?  Well, I spoke with Hasbro's Derryl DePriest about that very subject at Celebration 4.  And he said that there are a number of figures in the Basic Figure line that could easily go over to an Ultra/Deluxe figure card or price point.  The ones that we spoke about included Han Solo with torture rack, Yoda with Kybuck and Hermi Odle.  But because of the needs of the line those figures were put in the Basic Figure assortment.  And keep in mind as well:  those figures cost more to develop and produce.  Hasbro averages out the costs of each figure across the line, and Han Solo with torture rack was one of the most expensive figures to develop in the 2007 line.

The thing that is keeping Hasbro from doing a Deluxe figure line is the VTAC line.  Those figures are priced right where a Deluxe figure line would be.  Also, you need to factor in the fact that the VTAC line takes up space in the retail planogram that a Deluxe figure range would occupy.

Now with news via the Q&A process revealing that the Vintage figure line is on hiatus in 2008, we may very well see the return of a Deluxe figure line.  Hasbro is shifting the focus of their premium sculpted figures to Evolutions.  And the Evolutions line occupies a different price point as well as a different location in the retail planogram.  Given those factors, we might have Deluxe figures back in the mix next year.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 03:44 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2007, 12:18 PM »
It certainly does make you scratch your head a bit, huh?  Well, I spoke with Hasbro's Derryl DePriest about that very subject at Celebration 4.  And he said that there are a number of figures in the Basic Figure line that could easily go over to an Ultra/Deluxe figure card or price point.  The ones that we spoke about included Han Solo with torture rack, Yoda with Kybuck and Hermi Odle.  But because of the needs of the line those figures were put in the Basic Figure assortment.  And keep in mind as well:  those figures cost more to develop and produce.  Hasbro averages out the costs of each figure across the line, and Han Solo with torture rack was one of the most expensive figures to develop in the 2007 line.

The thing that is keeping Hasbro from doing a Deluxe figure line is the VTAC line.  Those figures are priced right where a Deluxe figure line would be.  Also, you need to factor in the fact that the VTAC line takes up space in the retail planogram that a Deluxe figure range would occupy.

Now with news via the Q&A process revealing that the Vintage figure line is on hiatus in 2008, we may very well see the return of a Deluxe figure line.  Hasbro is shifting the focus of their premium sculpted figures to Evolutions.  And the Evolutions line occupies a different price point as well as a different location in the retail planogram.  Given those factors, we might have Deluxe figures back in the mix next year.

I could very well see that the Han and Yoda could have been in a higher price point of the Ultra/Deluxe line, but If we do see a return on this line, I want to see more offered for the price than what we have seen in the basic line. The line will fall flat if not, even if the Han with rack cost the most to produce. If they can't top that I can see the end of the Ultra/Deluxe line all together. I feel most of the figures are not up to par with the price we pay now and if they go back to skimping on the higher priced items over the norm, than I can see they will continue until we get nothing for what we pay in all lines. The consumer & fans set what Hasbro does, so if they offer junk/low quality and we buy than why would they offer more if they don't have too? They give us that crap everytime the fans want something out of the norm (ICMG or any odd characters) saying that it/they won't sell. We have the final say, but it's like more are just happy with what they give us. That really sucks as it screws with the others that would like something better.
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2007, 12:58 PM »
I have a feeling that if we ever see the cantina distillery portions, they'll be in the deluxe line. After all, the curved bar pieces could've easily been in the Ultra line.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2007, 08:54 PM »

I could very well see that the Han and Yoda could have been in a higher price point of the Ultra/Deluxe line, but If we do see a return on this line, I want to see more offered for the price than what we have seen in the basic line. The line will fall flat if not, even if the Han with rack cost the most to produce. If they can't top that I can see the end of the Ultra/Deluxe line all together.

I gotta respectfully disagree with that.  Truth is, unfortunately, we showed Hasbro that we'd pay just about anything for a Star Wars figure.  $13 at Target for (bad) basic figures like Lava Obi Wan, Lava Anakin, black clone, grey and purple clone, a Saleucemi clone that wasn't even in the movie, then we go to conventions and pay $15 for a basic figure and will wait in line all day to do it, if necessary, then $17 for a basic Grievous figure at SWShop.com.

A basic figure on an Ultra card for $9.99 is not going to kill the line.  Not when we've already established that we'll pay $13-17 for a basic figure in many other situations.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2007, 03:22 PM »

I could very well see that the Han and Yoda could have been in a higher price point of the Ultra/Deluxe line, but If we do see a return on this line, I want to see more offered for the price than what we have seen in the basic line. The line will fall flat if not, even if the Han with rack cost the most to produce. If they can't top that I can see the end of the Ultra/Deluxe line all together.

I gotta respectfully disagree with that.  Truth is, unfortunately, we showed Hasbro that we'd pay just about anything for a Star Wars figure.  $13 at Target for (bad) basic figures like Lava Obi Wan, Lava Anakin, black clone, grey and purple clone, a Saleucemi clone that wasn't even in the movie, then we go to conventions and pay $15 for a basic figure and will wait in line all day to do it, if necessary, then $17 for a basic Grievous figure at SWShop.com.

A basic figure on an Ultra card for $9.99 is not going to kill the line.  Not when we've already established that we'll pay $13-17 for a basic figure in many other situations.

I agree to a point, but you are pointing out exclusives. Yes, they were basic figures in the sence. One reason I think we need to like Hasbro then need to halt their dicking of the fans here. I don't know about you, but I only have the Saleucemi Clone (got on clearance for about $5) and some of the McQuarrie concept figures from that list. $15 for McQuarrie concepts doesn't fall into the $15 for a basic figure IMO, because you got 2 figures for the $15 and if you half that it works out to $7.50 each about what we pay now for a basic figure. I want the Grievous, but I will not pay the high price they want. Same goes for the exclusives that are not any good or not up to par.

roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link