Author Topic: the death of Obi-Wan...  (Read 7144 times)

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
the death of Obi-Wan...
« on: December 5, 2002, 01:11 AM »
What jedi magic does Obi-Wan summon to vaporize his physical being? Even Vader looks a bit perplexed when he lifts up Obi-Wan's robe. I have never really thought about the actual phenomenon of this and was wondering if anyone could enlighten me...
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re:the death of Obi-Wan...
« Reply #1 on: December 5, 2002, 01:30 AM »
The Mega-Force.  ;)  ;D

Not sure though. It has been talked about on other forums.
Must check into it.

Offline BobaShek

• Jedi Initiate
  • OT Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 5, 2002, 03:08 PM »
Now that I think about it, that was pretty weird. If you were to say that he "became one with the force," wouldn't he have been sliced in half first? This one's a real noodle-scratcher... ???

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #3 on: December 5, 2002, 07:09 PM »
The fact that Ben and Yoda are the only Jedi to have faded away like this is PROOF that they are the greatest Jedi ever. That's the way I see it.

;)

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: December 7, 2002, 02:34 AM »
Yeah, but none of it really explains anything about the process of vaporizartion. I'm just wondering if there is official justification or definition for the process. Do they focus and meditate so deeply that they actually are able to become the energy of the force and their physical being breaks apart into the individual vibrating, molecular midichlorians? or is it, "POOF!" and that's it? Once physical, now guiding consciousness. I mean, if they become one with the force, why is he (they, if Yoda is in on this) represented as a physical spirit being instead of just light and a voice? Does that reflect the western societies need to be able to see the physical? I mean, there weren't any Buddha statues until some western ass, said, I can't meditate or imagine something I have never seen. I need to know what I'm meditating on in order to do it. Was that just to utilize the visual media? How is it explained in the novel? Do they detail how Obi-Wan just vanishes? Do they detail that Obi-Wan's spirit form appears to Luke and Yoda in ESB? He's just a voice in A New Hope. Thank the Jedi he was a small spirit form sitting cross-legged on Luke's X-Wing dash board. I agree that Obi-Wan and Yoda are bad asses (Anakin too in the end) if the are able perform the oneness with the Force trick. The real question is: "How can you justify it? I just can't accept it as "it just happens". I am now completely obsessed with this and will stop my blithering.
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2002, 03:28 PM »
The only thing I can find is this from SW.com

The Dark Lord confronted Kenobi as the Jedi was returning to the Falcon. After decades of delay, Vader finally squared off against his former master. As a diversionary tactic to help the others escape, Kenobi sacrificed himself to Vader. The Dark Lord struck the Jedi down, and Kenobi became one with the Force. He left behind no body, just empty robes and his own Jedi weapon.  

I am pretty sure that there is no official remark other than he becomes one with the force. I could be wrong but my opinion is that maybe he and Yoda were living beyond their time until there business was complete then their mastery of the force allowed them to cross back and forth at will,  Perhaps that is why he said to Vader he could never win and He ( Obi wan ) would only grow more powerfull than he could imagine?

After all Yoda and Old Ben did have alot of time living alone to master the force. Just my $.02
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
Re: the death of Obi-Wan...
« Reply #6 on: May 2, 2003, 04:53 PM »
I'm pretty sure Lucas will "bamf" Ben once he releases the OT on DVD. It's pretty clear that Vader had no clue what the hell happened and that Ben disappeared BEFORE Vader's blade struck. It was the best look of shock on a metal mask this side of Iron Man.

Not to stray off topic, but what the heck happened to Kenobi's lightsaber? Is it part of Vader's hilt collection in his meditation chamber now?
Post sober.

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 3, 2003, 11:35 PM »
Not to stray off topic, but what the heck happened to Kenobi's lightsaber? Is it part of Vader's hilt collection in his meditation chamber now?

One of the nearby Stormtroopers picked it up when Vader's attention was drawn towards the Falcon.  He's the one that's going to be released by Hasbro soon - you know, the McQuarrie Sketchtrooper with lightsaber?   :P

On topic, I've always just accepted the semi-official explanation that Obi-Wan just became one with the Force.  When the fans start asking too many questions about the how's and the why's in the Star Wars universe, we wind up with an explanation about damned Midichlorians!  So hush up fellas, lest George spend 10 valuable minutes of Episode 3 explaining the disappearing Jedi trick in scientific terms.   ::)
« Last Edit: May 3, 2003, 11:40 PM by Snively Bandar »

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 6, 2003, 11:49 AM »
I heard this crazy rumor a year or two ago that when you first see Ben in Star Wars he kind of appears on screen (like your said MisterPL) like he appears out of nowhere.  They theory was that Obi-Wan gave himself up to the force and was already dead and came back to help Luke and that was why Uncle Owen said "He died the same time as your father"
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: May 6, 2003, 02:05 PM »
I remember that same thing FX-7, seems like we talked about it at Rebelscum...let me see if I can find it...

MisterPL was one of the original thought provokers...

Yoda and Obi-Wan:CLONES

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: May 6, 2003, 05:31 PM »

As is often the case...   8)  Interesting theorizing once again John!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: May 6, 2003, 05:41 PM »
I actually like my theory that I came up with.  Luke and Anakin are so powerful in the Force that they can conjure people back from the dead.  So Yoda and Ben aren't Clones, they are Dead, Luke can make them appear when he wants to

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: May 6, 2003, 05:45 PM »
I actually like my theory that I came up with.  Luke and Anakin are so powerful in the Force that they can conjure people back from the dead.  So Yoda and Ben aren't Clones, they are Dead, Luke can make them appear when he wants to

So it's kinda like the movie Sixth Sense, huh?   ;)

Luke:  "I see dead people..."   :-*

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 6, 2003, 11:00 PM »

That was nicest way anyone's ever called me an instigator before. Thank you, Scott. 8)

(Nice of you to bump that up for the newbies at 'scum. Punks need a history lesson over there.)
Post sober.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: May 7, 2003, 03:48 PM »
Although I disagree with you slightly on said topic it was rather thought provoking, John, more often than not though you are an instigator :-*