Author Topic: 30AC Wave 8 - Attack of the Clones  (Read 48772 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: 30AC Wave 8 - Attack of the Clones
« Reply #210 on: December 15, 2007, 10:15 AM »
I like the McTrooper a lot more than I thought I would.  He is good for customs and he reminds me for some reason of the vintage figures. 

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 23, 2007, 02:20 PM »
The red fatigue clone is a bit of a letdown.  It's not a good army builder because of the solid ankles and the non-ball jointed swivel shoulders.  The likeness and sculpt are good, but why the hell did they stop short of perfection and mess up the shoulders and ankles?  I'd have picked up 20, instead I'm keeping just a few.

14 points with ball jointed shoulders should be standard by now.  What a waste this one was.

Jango, McClam, Voolvif are all top notch.  Really really good.

Passed on Padme because I'm sick of her, and never liked female action figures much.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 23, 2007, 07:19 PM »
The red fatigue clone is a bit of a letdown.  It's not a good army builder because of the solid ankles and the non-ball jointed swivel shoulders.  The likeness and sculpt are good, but why the hell did they stop short of perfection and mess up the shoulders and ankles?  I'd have picked up 20, instead I'm keeping just a few.

14 points with ball jointed shoulders should be standard by now.  What a waste this one was.

Jango, McClam, Voolvif are all top notch.  Really really good.

Passed on Padme because I'm sick of her, and never liked female action figures much.

Padme is one of my favorites from this wave - I think they did a pretty good job with her, especially compared to most of the SW female figs.  But Hasbro, would it kill you to make a figure with something larger than an A cup?   ::)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 27, 2007, 11:42 PM »
I finally got around to opening the figures from this wave.  Overall impressions?

___  # 07/55 Clone Trooper (Training Gear) - Pretty cool.  But the way the legs are posed he looks kind of crooked.  The snap on armor is actually cool, and works much better than it did on the 2002/03 SAGA Deluxe Clone Trooper.  It's a really cool figure, but not what I had totally been hoping for.

___  # 07/56 Padme Amidala (Fireside Gown) - I think facially it's one of the better Padme figures.  Overall the figure looks cool, but it's essentially a statue.  Nice, but flawed.

___  # 07/57 Jango Fett (w/ poncho) - WOW!  This figure really impressed me in a big way!  All of the accessories are very good, from the armor, to the helmet, to the holsters, blasters and poncho.  Even the way the poncho is sewn is such that it's hiked up for Jango's right arm to get at his blaster.  It comes across as very "Clint Eastwood" from "The Good, the bad & the ugly".  And the figure itself?  Very nice.  It's a shame that most of the sculpt is hidden under the accessories.  This is the true gem of wave 8.

___  # 07/58 Voolvif Monn (Clone Wars) - This is a decent figure, but compared to some of the other figures in the wave it doesn't measure up.  Especially if you compare it to Jango Fett.

___  # 07/59 Destroyer Droid (with 1/2 shield) - I've been a fan of the Destroyer Droid figures since the first one came out in 1999.  This one seems like the first to REALLY get the look of the droid down pat.  In an ideal world it would be cool to get a transforming one, but the figure is done on too small of a scale to make that practical.  And I see the shield as just gravy.  I would have liked it to be a little more translucent, but I think it was a very cool add-on to the droid.

___  # 07/60 McQuarrie Signature Series - Concept Rebel Trooper - This is the one figure from the wave that I've yet to open.  To be honest, this is one of the McQuarries that I'm the least impressed with.  When I open it I'll post more of a review.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 28, 2007, 12:09 AM »
Nicklab, open that McRebel... I thought the figure sucked.  Then I opened it, and now it's right up there with the McSnowie in my book.

Dressel, the Padme is really nice I think one it's open... not too much articulation but a damn nice sculpt.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 12:09 AM by CHEWIE »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 28, 2007, 10:00 AM »
Nicklab, I agree with Chewie, it's worth opening.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 28, 2007, 11:03 AM »
Padme is one of my favorites from this wave - I think they did a pretty good job with her, especially compared to most of the SW female figs.  But Hasbro, would it kill you to make a figure with something larger than an A cup?   ::)

I agree with you. Padme's my favorite of the wave. Sure she isn't an "action figure" in this scene, but she doesn't require much articulation to be a good figure. As for chest size, Natalie Portman isn't big in that area, so I think it's fine. I recall that NP made some comment about the breast size of her AotC Arena Battle action figure on David Letterman being flattering.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 31, 2007, 01:15 AM »
This wave is up at HTS including the McRebel for those who are interested.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 31, 2007, 06:16 AM »
This wave is up at HTS including the McRebel for those who are interested.

6 AM - McClam still there, and the best coupon I can find that still works is pony10 for 10% off.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 31, 2007, 06:54 PM »
3:51 McClam is gone but all the other wave 8 are still there.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 31, 2007, 08:37 PM »
As for chest size, Natalie Portman isn't big in that area, so I think it's fine. I recall that NP made some comment about the breast size of her AotC Arena Battle action figure on David Letterman being flattering.

I'm not saying she needs to be a McFarlane DD cup, but she essentially has no chest in that outfit.  Look at This picture and tell me if you think the action figure does her justice.   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 4, 2008, 12:09 AM »
And I see the shield as just gravy.  I would have liked it to be a little more translucent, but I think it was a very cool add-on to the droid.

Yeah, the lack of decent transparency is why it turns me off. :-\
Yo is what yo is.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #222 on: February 6, 2008, 01:02 AM »
I honestly don't know if I'm late to the  party or not here, but...

The McRebel's helmet actually says, "McQ." on the side in aurabesh.

I found this very interesting is all, thought maybe others would find it interesting too.  Any time I see aurabesh I look up my guide to it just to see what's what.  I think that's a cool little homage by Hasbro, good for them.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 6, 2008, 09:58 AM »
The McRebel's helmet actually says, "McQ." on the side in aurabesh.

Nice catch there, Jesse.  It's news to me, so I guess I'm late to the party, too. 
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #224 on: February 7, 2008, 12:26 AM »
Gah, I'm a buffoon, and merged this with the wrong topic...  Fixed now though. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77