Author Topic: Kids. Have them? Want them? Despise them?  (Read 10603 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Kids. Have them? Want them? Despise them?
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2005, 03:01 PM »
JediMAC,

I think you misconstrued my earlier post. 

My comment about "not having a choice" was in regards to carrying on the family name, not sabotage!

Ah.  OK, Trav.  Guess my interpretation there was just based my usual paranoia on the sabotage thought then...  ;)

Yeah, bummer that we won't be able to contribute to the family name thing though.  But my cousin's already got that covered, so I guess I'm cool...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 03:01 PM by JediMAC »

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2005, 06:14 PM »
On my birthday, my 7 yr old son made the honor roll at his school. His first report card with straight As. What is remarkable about this feat is that as recently as Thanksgiving, his behavior problems (acting up in class, fighting) had led him to the brink of being expelled (a 7 yr old!). Took him to a kid shrink, dosed him up with ADHD meds, and now he can focus and control his impulses. Fortunately, the meds don't zone him out like a lot of kids. He actually thinks clearly and calmly for the first time in his school career.

It's not easy, but it's worth it. I wouldn't trade being a dad for anything else.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #62 on: March 5, 2007, 11:17 PM »
All that being said I also am a firm believer in population control and the site of families of 8 kids rolling out of beat up sedans or vans just chaps my hide.  Which is why I don't think we will have more than 2 kids.  Education on birth control should begin as early as can deemed socially acceptable and it really needs to start happening soon.  Ignoring thw whole problem by saying there is no place in public education  is beyond asinine.  Part of me almost wishes for a sterilization program  :-\

I think we are pretty much decided that two is all we're going to do, at the end of every week we're about drained of every ounce of energy we have and the boyos haven't even begun starting to get involved in activities yet.  That said, I love them to death and I know we'd love a 3rd Bambino just as much, I just don't think we want to or are interested in doing so.

My boss is a huge "I'm never going to have kids" sort of guy though which made me think of this thread.  Its sometimes a tough situation to deal with because he has no idea of what is expected at home vs what sort of time commitment he thinks should be made at the office.  I've gotten in a trouble a few times with him over that time issue which is an odd situation to be in and he can be very two faced about it...one minute saying how he respects the hell out of me for doing so and the next expecting me to be at work at 6 in the morning sort of thing

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 5, 2007, 11:53 PM »
Yup, those without kids definitely can't relate to what sort of commitment they require.  Wait'll they're in school Scott.  Oy. 

Guess it's time for a snip :-X
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.