Author Topic: New JD Review: 100th Review: POTJ Rebel Fleet Trooper  (Read 9116 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
New JD Review: 100th Review: POTJ Rebel Fleet Trooper
« on: March 8, 2007, 01:02 AM »
Wow, 100 Reviews already...  That's...  a lot of writing.  And a lot of time spent by not just me, but Jeff for coding it all, and our photographers for adding images to the mix.  It's a real effort, so I really appreciate the help I get from Jeff and the gang to have my little effort at JD go live on the site.

Without further delay though, I bring to you my nemesis in collecting...  The bane of the Hasbro line, and dare I say the bane of army builders in general.  The figure that epitomizes collectors "settling" for second rate from Hasbro, only because it looks better than a figure that couldn't have gotten much worse...

Behold!  The Rebel Fleet Trooper!

(Clicky Button To Read Review)

Yes, he sucks...  And given his resurfacing in the Tantive IV Battlepack, I say a removable helmet does not improve him much even.  The Fleet Trooper is a figure that lured fans into liking it because it was visually an improvement over his POTF2 counterpart who sucked so badly that any improvement was widely accepted as greatness...

This was looking at the figure from afar, however.  Upon close inspection, flaws range from arms that aren't poseable, a "pre-posed" sculpt given to the figure's feet/ankles, a caved-in chest sculpt due to the arm pose...  Not to mention little errors, a non-removable helmet, a non-working holster...  This figure is littered with flaws.

Is it visually better than the original POTF2 Fleet Trooper?  How could it NOT be, is the better question.  Just because Hasbro got the pants color right and some sculpt details make the figure more accurate, doesn't mean this figure is a good army builder, especially today...  Hasbro called him "decent" in a Q&A, but to me he doesn't hold a candle to army builders in the line now, and all 3 Rebel Trooper types are long overdue for a 100% resculpt.  The Alliance needs good troopers too!

And here's to another 100 Reviews from JD...  The 30th Anniversary Collection is just the place to start, now that they're shipping. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
  • Casual/Poor Collector and Customizer
    • View Profile
Re: New JD Review: 100th Review: POTJ Rebel Fleet Trooper
« Reply #1 on: March 8, 2007, 05:10 PM »
Good review, and a very appropriate one coming from you. Congratulations on so many- I really consider the reviews one of the coolest features (along with the photo gallery) of JD.

I missed pretty much everything from mid-POTF2 until 2002 until 2005 in regards to buying new Star Wars figures, so I actually still hunt such things up. I enjoy reading reviews of old figures because it's informative, and something hard to get information about beyond pictures.

That said, can I have one of your POTJ rebel fleet troopers? *dies*

He looks pretty rubbish actually, and I agree that he (along with the Snowtrooper) are long overdue for resculpts. On the other hand if I had one I'd probably try to customize with it- I can think of a few uses.

But as-is, he looks to be junk.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: March 8, 2007, 08:24 PM »
Thanks Mitsu, I appreciate the feedback here...  Good to see conversation on the reviews I think.

The Fleet Trooper, in his one or two poses, looks decent, but that's my gripe with him...  He pulls off one or two decent poses but otherwise he's pretty well a statue despite the articulation count.  The bent ankles and caved in chest sculpt (so the arms come together, which they don't once you remove the rubber bands holding them and the pistol together in his hands in the packaging) really hamper this figure's looks as far as army building, and obviously more articulation is needed for army builders like this guy.

They are the Rebellion's answer to Stormtroopers afterall...  Shouldn't they get a SA figure too?  I think so, that's my beef with it.

Mitsu, if I dig up a RFT it's yours.  I had some extras...  You should put together a loose list of figures you want and check around our boards.  I guarantee a lot of us have extras of older figures we'd give up, and some for cheap.  Keep your eyes on the classifieds.  There's always deals to be had.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 8, 2007, 09:41 PM »
And still sucks he does. Certainly better than the last version, but i really think hasbro could and should be giving us better for such a classic chracter. Cmon, Hasbro!  :P

Great review Jesse, an interesting look at an old plastic nemesis of yours!  :)
That is, revisited with removable hats, a slightly better sculpt, and notsogreat new heads.  :P
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 12:04 AM »
I gotta hand it to ya Jesse, you showed much restraint and lots of professionalism in that review. I can't really disagree with anything, but to add, I think what adds to problems is that we have 5 headsculpts on the same mediocre body. Takes away from the point of doing different headsclupts.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 01:05 AM »
Especially when the figure is pre-posed ever so slightly...  Those ankles and the unposeable arms are probably my biggest gripes with the figure in general, with the holster, helmet, blaster, and other "details" coming up second.  Either way it's a whole lot of suck compared to most anything we've seen coming in 2007.  HOw sad is that? 

I mean, the Honor Guard looks a million times superior, and these guys were hardly noticeable in ANH. :)  I need a GOOD Fleet Trooper now...  They're the Rebellion's footsoldiers!

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 03:31 AM »
That was a great read JJ.  At the time, it was great to see Hasbro use knee (and calf) articulation to allow for their classic pose of shooting from one knee, but the awkward arm and leg sculpts are really frustrating otherwise, just as you described.  I look forward to the day when the RFT is redone in a SA style to recreate the epic opening battle of Stormtrooper vs Fleet Trooper with unlimited poses that this diorama deserves.  8)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 04:11 PM »
Something a lot of people who like the figure seemingly enjoy overlooking is that the arms don't even come together to hold the blaster.  You have to have them rubber banded together for that 2-handed pose, which is how it was packaged if I'm not mistaken.  Once it came open though, the arms never went back together.

Another flaw on a figure filled with them I'm afraid.

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 05:06 PM »
i admit i didnt agree with you at the start..mostly because i didnt have one and thought any rebel trooper would be good enough for me cause there are like none on the market..that are good. but i bought the comic pack with the repaint of him and i am highly dissapointed. like you just mentioned the hands dont come together. that was the first thing i had noticed and he cant stand properly. hasbro knows SA figures are what we like yet they always have to give us cool characters with crappy sculpts. :-\ should have listened to your review BUT i did like the comic so im not too disspointed.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 12:45 AM »
The comic version's a whole other ball of wax to me...  Lots of decoration flaws I could cite.  Not my cup of tea, but the gist of the review definitely carries over since it's a repaint of the same figure.

I like that the leg stripe doesn't match when you swivel the legs around on the comic figure.  :)  Nice.

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 10:52 PM »
The comic version's a whole other ball of wax to me...  Lots of decoration flaws I could cite.  Not my cup of tea, but the gist of the review definitely carries over since it's a repaint of the same figure.

I like that the leg stripe doesn't match when you swivel the legs around on the comic figure.  :)  Nice.

yeah i noticed that one too. makes you wonder if hasbro noticed it lol.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 07:41 PM »
One point in favour of this trooper is his height, compared with tsc endor troopers that were too short in scale.

The potj can match in height votc or lc stormtroopers for a diorama.