Author Topic: Force Lightning and Bionic Parts  (Read 8522 times)

Offline Darth Depressis

• Jedi Padawan
  • i've never seen garbage eat garbage before
    • View Profile
    • http://swfanon.wikia.com/wiki/User:Darth_Depressis
Force Lightning and Bionic Parts
« on: March 9, 2007, 05:15 PM »
OK,

as established by the current EU and ROTS: a sith lord(or lady) with mechanical parts cannot summon Force lightening due to the fact that it would destroy the circuts and cause the limb to be useless.

yet in Jedi, Luke is pummeled to the floor by Darth Sidious's onslaught of dark force lightening and after this massive amount of torture. his mechanical hand still works? i mean yeah yeah it took a blaster shot  on the barge, but this really contradicts established lore.

are we supposed to believe Luke's hand is the only one capable of withstanding this? we can't write it off as more advanced than Vader's whole BODY or lumiyas imperial funded cybernetic replacements can we? also since thirty-seven years later in LOTF this is still the case. so....?

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: found a massive flaw in ROTJ
« Reply #1 on: March 9, 2007, 07:04 PM »
Well he is not summoning the lightening.  Maybe the geniuses that make those robotic hands found a way to keep the hand working if it's struck by lightning.  LOL!  Who knows? 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 01:25 AM »
Well that's not a flaw with ROTJ, that's a flaw with EU...  They didn't examine the movies close enough to interpret the physics of Force Lightning.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Depressis

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 02:07 AM »
this kinda explains it:(found on wookiepedia)

"Emperor Palpatine used Force lightning to punish Luke Skywalker for his refusal to join him, beginning with an agonizing but non-lethal quantity and working his way gradually upwards toward lethality. When Darth Vader turned on the Emperor, Palpatine used the lightning at a much higher intensity, yet Vader was still able to endure it long enough to hurl his master into an air shaft. "

but then theres this on Prosthetic replacements:

"The Sith Lumiya also received extensive amounts of prostheses after crashing her starfighter following a dogfight with Luke Skywalker. It was her claim that high levels of prosthesis dampened an individual's sensitivity to the Force. This, she claimed, had stopped Darth Vader attaining the full potential of a Sith Lord and was also stifling her attempts to achieve this mastery of the dark side of the Force. "
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 02:13 AM by Darth Depressis »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 01:43 AM »
"Massive flaw?"
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 02:34 AM »
"Massive flaw?"

LOL - that's what I thought.  Is it clearly explained somewhere that Vader's armor was preventing him from using force lightning?  I thought I read somewhere that Palpy was holding off on teaching vader some of his tricks, this one included, because it was the temptation of learning more that kept Vader in line.  If you teach a sith apprentice everything, he's likely to kill his master and take over - that's their whole spiel.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 02:57 AM »
Darth Depressing, don't think so damn hard.  Just enjoy the movie.

Offline Darth Depressis

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 07:49 AM »
It should be noted that Darth Vader, despite being a powerful Sith Lord, was unable to generate or deflect Force lightning. This was due to his cybernetic implants, and any attempt by Vader to generate it would cause it to backfire, electrocuting his life-support systems, causing it to short-circuit and kill him. This is ultimately how he was killed, as his act of redemption in saving his son caused him to be bombarded with the Emperor's lightning. Due to the fact that Vader's Sith powers were limited because of his artificial limbs, Darth Sidious found him less than satisfactory as his heir to the Sith legacy, despite the effort Sidious spent for more than a decade to recruit Skywalker. Upon the discovery of Luke Skywalker, Palpatine concentrated on turning him to the dark side.

by the way, the name's depressis.

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 08:28 AM »
Well, I caught ROTJ in HD this weekend...

And the flaw I saw was a Scout Trooper with helmet off, with his hands up with the other Rebel Scum when captured by the Imperials...

Interesting.

Offline Darth Depressis

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 08:42 AM »
are you addressing the fact that he wasn't a clone as hasbro would like you to believe/buy or questioning where is helmet went?

maybe they'll insert a rebel Chris tucker wearing the helmet and dancing around the scout making fun of him ..lol

If a man between the ages of 18 and 30 scored in the top fifth percentile, an Imperial recruiting agent would contact him and presumably arrange DNA sampling for cloning. Men who didn't score that high were still wanted as regular soldiers. Also, it was preferable if stormtrooper recruits met a certain standard in height and weight. Princess Leia Organa was seemingly familiar with these standards by 0 BBY, perhaps as a result of her work with the Rebellion.

they don't say if this applies to scouts. I'd like to think that their all recruits and actually have lives aside from being troopers.

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 08:49 AM »
No, I mean, they had a scout trooper, helmet off, with his hands up as if under arrest...

Only thing is...

The rebels hadn't won the scene yet.

The imperials had.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 11:40 PM »
With out knowing anything about the EU, and having watched ROTS many time and never seeing anything pertaining to prosthetic limbs and force lightning, I always took it that a prosthetic limb was unable to generate force lighting, which is a simple restriction that forgoes any complications like the one mentioned.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 11:56 PM »
No, I mean, they had a scout trooper, helmet off, with his hands up as if under arrest...

Only thing is...

The rebels hadn't won the scene yet.

The imperials had.

i cant remember where i read it but the scout you are talking about is a disguised rebel trooper. the scout that Han taps on the shoulder and leads him to a trap....that is where the rebel got the armor. again i honestly can't remember where i found this info but i do remember it because the same day i read it i watched the movie looking for that scout. :-\

edit.

maybe luke had a rubber glove on ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 11:56 PM by Jango_Fett_89 »
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 12:04 AM »
The Scout sequence, and a firefight in the Bunker corridors, were sequences edited out of ROTJ...  The blonded bearded (not grey bearded, as is commonly mistaken) Endor Rebel Soldier takes the Scout's armor and can be seen VERY BRIEFLY when Han, Leia, Chewie & Co. enter the bunker doors.  He's slipping the helmet on and standing at the door waiting for the 3 others to return while I guess the other rebs are in an ambush for them.

The Rebel in the Scout disguise can be seen dead in a Matte Painting of the Endor Battle scene where live-action footage and effects shots are imposed over it (it's the scene where the Ewoks have attacked and are now dispersing as the Imperials run off chasing them).  The Helmetless Scout (The Blonde Bearded Rebel) is lying dead as part of the matte painting.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Depressis

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 08:38 AM »
"maybe luke had a rubber glove on "

i'm willing to except that..lol