Author Topic: ROTJ rebel meeting diorama (5/28)  (Read 14930 times)

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
Re: ROTJ rebel meeting diorama
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2007, 03:31 PM »
In the ever continuing effort to populate my fleet meeting diorama, I made the 2 astromech droids that can be seen to the left when the generals enter the room (there's also an FX-7 behind them).  The R3 is an Ep2 sneak preview spray-painted white and the yellow/green was removed from the dome with nail polish remover.  The R5 is a Saga2 R5-D4 repainted and with spray-painted label paper shapes applied.

Here is a partial reference pic:

Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2007, 03:36 PM »
Yet another update to the fleet meeting: there are in actuality 4 separate Ishi Tib rebels on the upper floor to the left.  They all wear the exact same outfit but in different colors.  There is the tan version Hasbro made, a blue, red, and what appears to be a dark brown.  I didn't need to make all of them, so I gave a repaint to the belt and face of both, then painted the one blue version.

Thanks to Jedistyle for the suggestions on drybrushing  ;D
Greg Reeves

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2007, 04:40 PM »
looks great diagobah. the astromechs are very well done. i really like the red nd white one. the label paper seems to be working very well.

your ishtibes looks really good, the belts definetley look better than hasbro's. i really like the head your repainted onthe blue one. it looks great, alot of depth and variation. great work!
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2007, 10:20 PM »
Great customs for an AWESOME dio.  8)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2007, 08:53 AM »
...The R5 is a Saga2 R5-D4 repainted and with spray-painted label paper shapes applied.

Nice work (as always), Daigo-Bah! I was wondering if you could comment on this technique you've mentioned here. If I understand correctly, you spraypainted some label stickers, and cut the shapes out (or cut & then painted). And then, what, glued them to the R5? It sounds like a great idea - way easier than trying to paint straight lines ;)

(Also, I really dig the belts on your Ishi!)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 08:57 AM by PenDragon »

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2007, 09:51 AM »
Thanks guys!  Pen, what I did was take a sheet of label paper (I have full-sheet label paper, but for this project individual labels would work fine too) and spraypaint it the color I wanted, then I used an x-acto blade to cut out a desired shape.  Peel the backing off and apply!  It's an easy and clean way to do it, better than trying to paint the shapes on.
Greg Reeves

Offline Siths Herald

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sith Happens.
    • View Profile
    • The Minnesota Force
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2007, 03:32 PM »
That's a great idea.  That R5 is incredible!
The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

Offline no-wan

• Youngling
  • I Warn You Not to Under Estimate my Power !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2007, 07:49 PM »
Great Job Greg !!  8)

I wish I had your talent for custom figures.

Dioramas and Custom figures... Your skills are complete  !!  ;)
The New Sandcrawler Workshop

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2007, 09:04 PM »
Slick droids Daigo...

The R5, you should consider shaving off the middle eye though.  I noticed in one ref photo that the center silver eye thing on that Rebel R5 is missing (dunno if you noticed or not).  It'd be easy to actually just carefully slice it off with an X-Acto for a bit more accuracy (if you wanted).

The R3 looks great too...  Good painting and you seemed to go the extra mile to make sure to cover up any tell-tale signs of the original droid.  Always good to get those astro's in and I like seeing the R5 especially because you got the intricacy of his "deco" down right with the labels.  Did you spray paint the actual paper?  I was a little confused by your wording was all...  Looks great regardless.

The Tibrians rock as well.

It seems a lot of people actually thought Ishi Tib from the POTF2 line was from Jabba's Palace when in actuality he's a Tibrian Militia Liason, as is his blue brother.  Their uniforms are quite funky and added a lot to the "scene" IMO of giving the impression of the Rebellion being a single military force, but made up of OTHER militaries contributing as well...  He, the Dresellian Militia that went on the Endor Raid, etc...

The painting seems simple, but effective on your Tibrians.  It highlights what a fantastic sculpt that original figure was actually.  If he were more articulated he'd be perfect.  But your stand-ins for the Tibs at the briefing are fantastic as always DB.  I like that you seemed to make the blue one darker for some variation between the two as well.  Nice touch.

I'm hopeful that Hasbro redoes the Prune Face someday (with removable eyepatch so you can have either/or).  That's a figure I keep hoping for something more poseable at some point, and less "specific" (with the eyepatch thing).

Great update man, thanks for sharing.  I always enjoy your projects because they're big and strive for accuracy above all else.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2007, 05:56 PM »
Awesome awesome awesome. The only thing I'd work on is the lighting. But the diorama itself is TOP NOTCH!

Excellent Dressellian (sp?) custom! I might just have to make a few of those now myself. Thanks for the tip on those.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2007, 09:44 PM »
Thanks again guys!  JJ, I'm not sure I see the missing eye?  Do you mean in that second pic I posted, or somewhere else?  And yes, I spraypainted right onto the label paper, and when dry was a perfect consistency.  I have another update:  I made a seated Y-Wing pilot by using the torso and head of the POTF2 version and the legs and arms of a Vander/Biggs body.  I'm happy with the quality of the paintjob, but I'm not sure he should be quite that "dirty".  Let me know what you all think!

Greg Reeves

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: ROTJ rebel meeting diorama (5/17)
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2007, 01:04 AM »

It's this photo here DB,

Check the "eye".  R5-D4 has 3, while this R5 has just two of the silver eye port things... 

On the Y-Winger I don't think he looks dirty, that just looks like "shadow" to me, so I think you're good with that look on him.  Cool figure man...  Nice parts mix in general to get a seated and PROPERLY COLORED Y-Winger.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2007, 01:07 AM »
That's the pic I thought you meant, but there is a third eye there (the head is turned a bit I guess).  Maybe the non-uniform decoration of the droid's head makes it difficult to spot, but check to the right of the 2 eyes you see.
Greg Reeves

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2007, 01:12 AM »
oh oh oh, ok I see that now...  I thought that was part of that red patch there to the right.  OK, gotcha.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2007, 01:22 PM »
Excellent job on the Y-wing pilot. Can you give us a tutorial? I don't often split figures in half at the waist, so I'd like some pointers on how to do that safely, or as safe as possible anyways...
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010