Author Topic: Master Replica Scaled Helmets  (Read 22195 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Master Replica Scaled Helmets
« on: March 20, 2007, 01:00 PM »
Looks like the MR exclusive at Celebration IV will be a Scaled Wedge Helmet.  I think it's a cool idea, but didn't Ridell already do the mini-helmet thing?

Regardless...if they make a Vader, it's mine.   ;D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Master Replica Scaled Helmets
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 01:21 PM »
I'm still curious to see what the exact scale will be on these simply because I do have the Riddell helmets and they are a very nice collectible IMO.  I have three of the full scale MR helmets (and would love to have the Vader too) but they take up so much real estate and the pricing is pretty darn steep too.

Do we have any information on the MR scaled helmets at all?  I know when they first announced them I'd posted in the MR thread about them and I think I'd assumed at that time they were full scale.  It's pretty apparent they aren't (the word scaled being a pretty strong clue) but I am very curious to know how they match up with the Riddell versions.  A Wedge helmet could look completely awesome beside the X-wing helmet from Riddell, so this might cause me grief, but only if they match up size wise. 

If they are pretty identical, in spite of the high quality of MR stuff, they'd have a hard time topping the Riddell Vader.  I'm sure they could, but what's the price point on these.  If you're talking $100 per scaled helmet all of a sudden the Riddell stuff is looking like a bargain. 

Just checked the other thread and the other two listed scaled replicas are:

Rebel X-Wing Red 5 Studio Scale Replica
TIE Fighter Episode IV Helmet Scaled Replica

Nifty fits for the Riddell line too, if they fit, but it'll be really interesting to see a comparison of the Red 5 MR version beside the Riddell X-wing pilot helmet. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 01:23 PM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 02:03 PM »
I thought (and I'm probably wrong) that MR bought the tooling from Riddell.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 02:28 PM »
Just checked the other thread and the other two listed scaled replicas are:

Rebel X-Wing Red 5 Studio Scale Replica
TIE Fighter Episode IV Helmet Scaled Replica

Just a side note to start, the Rebel X-Wing Red 5 Studio Scale Replica in your list Brent is the Studio Scale X-Wing ship, like those big-ass scaled Y-Wing and Falcon that they've done.  Nit-picky I know, but just don't want folks to be searching out the wrong thing.  Now back to the mini-helmets...

At Toy Fair, MR announced they had plans for 5 Helmets (up to 6 now with the C-IV Wedge Helmet announcement).

• Clone Trooper Helmet Scaled Replica
  • TIE Fighter Pilot Helmet Scaled Replica
  • Stormtrooper Helmet Scaled Replica
  • Boba Fett Helmet Scaled Replica
  • Luke Skywalker’s X-wing Helmet Scaled Replica
plus
  • C-IV Exclusive Wedge Antille's X-wing Helmet Scaled Replica

I don't think Rob got a good pic of all 5 (I think all we have is a pic of the Fett mini-helmet), but you can see them at Rebelscum.  The 4 OT helmets were pretty close to the final product stage, but the Clone Helmet is obviously an unpainted prototype.

I've heard/read that some of the helmets may be based off the Riddell helmets, but I don't remember that being confirmed anyplace in writing yet.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 02:47 PM »
Thanks Jeff,
As usual, I'm not paying nearly enough attention ::) so the clarification is helpful.  I'm also quite happy to see that the Red 5 is a ship because I can't even begin to contemplate affording those things, so it's one less thing to buy.

From the link you provided, they look damn near identical to the Riddell stuff.  I've heard the rumours too and it goes along with what ruiner said too.  But... the pictures don't really provide much information relative to scale.  Based on the appearance and what the supporting stand looks like, I'd say ruiner might be correct and if so, that's an interesting move.  I find it rather odd they grabbed that line given that relatively speaking they didn't sell well until after the line was dead and guys like me came along to backfill the collection.  I can see the stormtrooper selling really well given the relative rarity of the Riddell version (depending on price I might buy one to replace my Riddell that has yellowed a bit) and obviously Fett too (thankfully I only paid a bit over $60 for that).  I suppose they'll all sell well, including Luke's X-wing but I just don't see the point in re-releasing these. 

Anyone recall the original Riddell MSRP?  I cruised through the Riddell thread and didn't see it, but it doesn't mean the information isn't in there.  I think they were once around $90 or so at retail, weren't they?  If so, I can see MR charging around the same price for them. 

I guess if the scale is the same, I'll get the tie pilot, maybe Wedge if I can arrange it and possibly a new Stormtrooper.  I don't need the PT stuff and don't need duplicates of what I already have.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 02:53 PM by Morgbug »

Offline SilverSpyder

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 03:40 PM »
The MR scaled helmets are the same size as the Riddell helmets. MR bought the tooling from Riddell. I don't believe that MR will be re-releaseing the Vader or 3-PO versions, but will be re-releasing the Stormtrooper, Boba Fett and Luke X-wing pilot in addition to the unreleased Riddell Tie Fighter pilot. Mr will also be making some all new sculpts like the Clone Troopers.

The expected price point is in the $50.00 reange and the stands will look like the ones that come with the MR full scale helmets.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 03:43 PM by SilverSpyder »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 04:44 AM »
The MR scaled helmets are the same size as the Riddell helmets. MR bought the tooling from Riddell...

Just what I was going to mention, Bruce, as far as what I recall hearing on this line.  I'm really going back and forth on collecting these, as they're a bit on the pricey side (got my 4 Riddell helmets for less then $25 each), and this could be one of those lines that goes on for quite some time adding further to my problem with display space.  Of course, I loved the brief Riddell line (and no, Brent, I never got the Stormtrooper, so shut up!), so I'll already be forced to deal with a couple duplicates from MR from the get-go.  I dunno...  I'm sure that damned C4 exclusive Wedge helmet will pull me in.  But if I miss out on it at C4, then my interest in this line will probably be over before it even begins.

So for those that already have the Riddell ones, and plan to collect these MR ones next, what are you going to do with the Riddell versions?  Sell them?  Just collect the all-new ones from MR?  Or grab what's essentially a duplicate?  Just curious...

Granted, I collect the .45 saber/blaster minis, so I suppose those are right in line with collecting these helmets.  These definitely look sharp, no doubt.  But $50 sharp?  Not so sure...  Ugh.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 04:47 AM by JediMAC »

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 10:43 AM »
I never could do the big ones...

But I  like these, as I did the mini-sabers.

Depending how much I like the exclusive will decide how far I jump into this one... BUt I do know... I would stick with OT.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 05:02 AM »
BUt I do know... I would stick with OT.

Definite "ditto" from me there.  I usually stick to OT with the stuff that's relatively higher-end (though I did bite on all the mini-sabers), and as I've seen with the Clone bust insanity in the GG line, there's no way I'm going to let a non-Hasbro licensee lead me down that dark path.  There's a relatively "limited" amount of possibilities with OT helmets, so hopefully this line doesn't continue on indefinitely like some of the others.  So what kind of possibilities are we looking at here for the OT?

Stormtrooper
Boba Fett
TIE Pilot
X-Wing Luke
X-Wing Wedge...
------------------
X-Wing Biggs
X-Wing Porkins
Darth Vader
C-3PO
Rebel Fleet Trooper
Death Star Trooper
Death Star Gunner
AT-AT Driver
AT-AT Commander
Snowtrooper
Cloud Car Pilot
Lando Skiff Guard
Boushh
Scout Trooper
Endor Rebel Trooper
AT-ST Driver
Royal Guard
A-Wing Pilot
B-Wing Pilot

I think that's about it.  24 x $50 = $1,200.  Ugh!  Did I miss any likely/obvious ones?  Hopefully MR just sticks with actual helmets, and the less obscure ones at that, and doesn't broaden the line to include things like droid's noggins, but if they did, you'd obviously expect to see 2-1B, IG-88, 4-LOM, EV-9D9, 8-D8, 3PO repaints, etc.

The line certainly has potential, if the price point is acceptable to the majority of potential collectors.  That was the downfall of the Riddell line though, I think, though I believe their's were originally even higher IIRC, at around $75ish SRLP.  Granted, they were all easily attainable on eBay in the $20's not too long after their release, aside from the Stormtrooper, of course.  Not to mention that line was probably a little before it's time, as one of the first, if not THE first, "higher-end" collectible lines for Star Wars.  It'll be interesting to see what MR can do with the line now...

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 08:22 AM »
Glad to see I'm not alone on this one.

While there are limited in OT, isn't that the case for PT too ? IDK.

But from the list, I can see myself getting these:

Stormtrooper
Boba Fett
TIE Pilot
X-Wing Wedge...
------------------
Death Star Gunner
AT-AT Driver
Snowtrooper
Lando Skiff Guard
Scout Trooper
AT-ST Driver
Royal Guard

I can't see droids being done if it is a helmet line. Those are not helmets.

Sometimes definition goes a long way, and exploitation is something else.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 04:45 PM »
PT would be fairly limited too, yeah.  But considering the insane amount of Clonetroopers available to pick from in ROTS, who knows...  Scary thought, if they played it like Hasbro's doing right now.

I can't see droids being done if it is a helmet line. Those are not helmets.

Sometimes definition goes a long way, and exploitation is something else.

Yeah, I wouldn't think the droids should be a part of this line, but if MR re-uses Riddell's 3PO mold and puts that piece back out, it certainly opens the doors to more droids.  I certainly wouldn't consider 3PO's dome a "helmet", so it'll be interesting to see if MR ditches that particular piece in this line.  I almost hope they do, 'cause it'd break from the theme to include it, and potentially add another 10 or so "helmet" options to the line.

Offline SilverSpyder

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 05:05 PM »
Everything I have heard suggests that the Vader and 3PO will not be remade. Most likely due to the fact that you can pick up the Riddell versions for dirt cheap on the secondary market. It wouldn't make sense to remake a product with a MSRP of $50.00 when the original can be bought for under $20.00.

Having said that, I almost wouldn't mind a K-3PO or TC-14. I like my Riddell C-3PO and having a couple counterparts would'nt be too bad. But, I honestly don't forsee MR producing these, at least anytime in the near future. I would bet however on a Black Hole Stormtrooper repaint and Jango Fett repaint being made since the molds are basically the same as the Stormtrooper and Boba Fett.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 12:16 AM »
The MR scaled helmets are the same size as the Riddell helmets. MR bought the tooling from Riddell. I don't believe that MR will be re-releaseing the Vader or 3-PO versions, but will be re-releasing the Stormtrooper, Boba Fett and Luke X-wing pilot in addition to the unreleased Riddell Tie Fighter pilot. Mr will also be making some all new sculpts like the Clone Troopers.

The expected price point is in the $50.00 reange and the stands will look like the ones that come with the MR full scale helmets.

That's helpful.

Basically I fall into the OT camp as well, so I'll try and find Wedge through someone at CIV but have no intentions to acquire the Boba Fett or Luke.  AS mentioned earlier I could be swayed to get the stormtrooper as mine has a yellowish tinge these days but we'll see what happens when they are released.  I would like to know the production numbers though, if they release them.  I will definitely get the Tie Pilot though.

PT could be interesting, but since I'm $1000+ into the 501st/shock/Utapau helmets, I don't think I need to get little ones.  Still want that full sized Vader helmet though :-X

Offline SilverSpyder

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 01:19 AM »

PT could be interesting, but since I'm $1000+ into the 501st/shock/Utapau helmets, I don't think I need to get little ones.  Still want that full sized Vader helmet though :-X
Toynk.com has them for something like $600.00 with the 30% off code "lucky", but that ends tonight.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 10:41 AM »

Basically I fall into the OT camp as well, so I'll try and find Wedge through someone at CIV but have no intentions to acquire the Boba Fett or Luke. 

Sometime in May, the collector society members that aren't going to C4 can pre-order one (in limited quantities).  Now I ask this because their newsletter today didn't mention it, why wouldn't I order it now and forgo the hassle of standing in line??  One would think that they would follow Sideshows lead, and let us pre-order and pick up if we are going.....

Beth