Author Topic: Your 30AC Shopping: Retail or Online?  (Read 2735 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Your 30AC Shopping: Retail or Online?
« on: March 22, 2007, 10:07 AM »
With the TAC starting to hit the pegs, I was curious which route everyone is taking in picking up these figures.  I used to have to rely online (either through stores or through others helping) for so many figures, but since we moved to "the city", I have had a little better luck in finding things at retail - at least for the most part.  With a baby on the way this summer, I know that my trips out to check the stores will be a lot more limited - and for the most part, collecting Star Wars around here is sort of "buy it when you see it" for many figures over the past couple years, and I don't see that changing this year.  Anyways, with that in mind, I've considered ordering more things online.  I have "sets" of the next couple waves preordered through BBTS (partially as "insurance" in case I can't find them at retail), but I've noticed that those preorders have started to get more and more expensive (up to $10 per figure on average, plus shipping).  I know many people go with cases, which is probably cheaper, but that's something I've never done before just due to the overall price of things - and in some cases, the extras.  Anyways, I was curious what everyone does in there shopping habits - do you rely totally on retail, do you order/preorder some things online "just in case", or do you order cases and basically not worry about retail outside of exclusives?  I usually like to just find things at retail, but like I said, I don't know if I'll be able to get out as much this year - and this could actually be a year where I want one of each basic figure - due to that darn coin promo :).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 12:45 AM by JesseVader08 »

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Your TAC Shopping: Retail or Online?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 10:22 AM »
I usually preorder just in case and cancel if i find them at retail first.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 10:32 AM »
The hunt is the best part for me so i'm all retail. Ordering online usually takes the fun out of it and a box coming to the house usually angers the Mrs...

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Guardian
  • i stay down with my demons
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 10:55 AM »
I switched over to trying to buy all my basic figures on-line this year.  My Wave 1 case from New Force worked out to $6.75 per figure!  That's less than Target/Wal-Mart cost and they were shipped right to my door - you can't beat that!  I'll still be hunting the Target and Wal-Mart exclusives at retail though.  Those cost waaaaay too much to try to get on-line from the scalpers. 

Luckily, the Target exclusives are pretty easy to nab around these parts and it only takes a day or two of hunting when they hit locally to get them.  Wal-Mart exclusives on the other hand...  Ugh.   ::)  Those things are a bit more work for me to track down, but luckily I have a nice local gang that watches out for each other, which makes things much easier for everyone.   :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
Follow me on Twitter - @jedidefender / @jlsmentek

Offline AndyG

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Outpost
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 11:22 AM »
I'm going for retail - I have picked up all I want from Wave 1 that way.

If I couldn't get what I was after at retail for the rest then hopefully I would be able to trade for them at a forum before going ebay / etailer.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 11:26 AM by AndyG »

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 12:59 PM »
I am trying to go exclusively online this year.  Just to see if it can be done.  I'll do my army building through retail and trades, but other than that, I am going to get cases from EE.com or New Force or any other Collector Friendly site that pops up that can be trusted...

Like Jeff, I'll go hunt exlusives once I hear they have hit town, but other than that...it is Toys at my door....

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 02:01 PM »
I will have to go the retail route.  My wife does not like it when I buy Star Wars in bulk and especially when it arrives at the door for her to see.  Plus, she'll see the $80 plus case assortment on the credit card bill and get ticked.  But if I buy here and there at retail then all is well in the Broem household.  For some reason multiple items at one time sets her off. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 02:34 PM »
That's another reason why I go the retail route - it seems to sit better with the wifey.  I think its better if I pick things up in small doses here and there, instead of the big bulk charge at one time.  That's the reason I haven't gone the case route in the past, seeing that big $80-$100 charge on the credit card doesn't look too good :).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 03:57 PM »
Getting extras I don't want kills me so I probably won't be going the etail route this year for much.  I will be ordering a vintage case from NFC as I did last year.  That's the only way to go on those IMO.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender & FFURG.com Staff/Representative, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline inadvertent imitation

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 01:05 AM »
The first wave I got through retail, and after seeing what chasing these McQuarrie figures might be like this year, I ordered a set of wave two and a case of wave 3 through BBTS.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi General
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 01:12 AM »
Unless I get another lucky break with a WM leaving their basic figures at half price, I'm with Jeff. NFC all the way.
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 10:33 AM »
The hunt is the best part for me so i'm all retail. Ordering online usually takes the fun out of it and a box coming to the house usually angers the Mrs...

Well, I dont have a Mrs, but thats pretty much how I see it. The hunt is the best part, and finding em at the WM price after a good long hunt is the second best part.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 10:35 AM »
I like the hunt and I don't like a wait. Thats what makes me like retail more, and the only thing thatll make me resort to ebay is if I cant find a fig I want really really badly at retail.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 12:25 PM »
retail..my parents refuse to let me buy online.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi General
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 09:32 AM »
retail..my parents refuse to let me buy online.

Show them how it could save them money. They'll love that. ;)
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."