Author Topic: Hasbro 30AC Overload Already?  (Read 20031 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro 30AC Overload Already?
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2007, 12:28 PM »
The good news means, with all those exclusives hitting at once, they are guaranteed to hit clearance quickly too :)

That's a good point Brent - quite a few of these Target items will probably be on clearance in January - that's just too many higher priced items in a short time span.

I'll probably be passing on all of these exclusives other than the Hoth set.  Most seem like cheezy gimmicks anyway.

Being a non-completist opener is the only way I've ever collected, so all these repacks, repaints, etc. aren't something that I ever found appealing anyway.   I have no loyalty to Hasbro so it's not too hard for me to pick and choose what I buy.  :)

« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 12:28 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2007, 03:05 PM »
The good news means, with all those exclusives hitting at once, they are guaranteed to hit clearance quickly too :)

Very true!

Hmm, I haven't really done this before, but I wonder if it would be prudent to keep the receipts from this stuff, them buy a replacement when they go on clearance, then return it with the first one's receipt to get some of your money back.

I'm seriously thinking about doing that for this Target stuff.

Again, I've never done that before, but have heard of it being done.

Any thoughts on this? Is that against the "collector code"?

Just curious to see where people stand on that particular issue.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 03:09 PM by jedi_master_sal »
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2007, 04:21 PM »
Personally, I would't do that, but I know quite a few people do.  It's not illegal or anything.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2007, 04:23 PM »

Very true!

Hmm, I haven't really done this before, but I wonder if it would be prudent to keep the receipts from this stuff, them buy a replacement when they go on clearance, then return it with the first one's receipt to get some of your money back.

I'm seriously thinking about doing that for this Target stuff.

Again, I've never done that before, but have heard of it being done.

Any thoughts on this? Is that against the "collector code"?

Just curious to see where people stand on that particular issue.

As a 15 year old with little money, I do this exact thing at Target. I buy what I want at full price when the new product hits with the best selection, open the product, save the receipt and wait until clearance hits. When that time comes I will rebuy the product for 50% off or whatever the discount is and return it with the original price receipt.
   Is this morally wrong and/or against a collector code? I think not. You would not be stealing, nor you would not be preventing a fellow shopper from purchasing a product. I like to think of it as getting the best selection of product at clearance price.
   Here's an example to make my explanation clearer: I bought one set of the VTAC figures and six extra Snow Troopers (total of 12 figures) in June at Target for $13 each. In early August, the VTAC figures were clearanced at Target. I bought 12 more VTAC figures for $3 each, and returned them with the older receipt for a $13 refund per figure.  So, I have a set of VTAC figures and six Snowtroopers that cost me $3 per figure.
   If anyone has a problem with this and feels the need to challenge me, feel free to do so. My feelings won't be hurt. As a high schooler, I need as much money as I can get (dates, movies, food, car, gas, saving for college, etc.) so I am going to maximize the efficiency and usage of my cash so I can continue to do necessary activities and still enjoy myself.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2007, 09:42 AM »
It does look like we'll be seeing another big year next year.  I see in one of the Q and A's this week, Hasbro did confirn that the 53 figure number for next year does not include the upcoming Clone Wars line.  You have to figure on around 30 figures there as well (not to mention the Indy line), and that's a lot to buy next year.  I wonder if that number includes any Saga Legends waves (if we'll have that beyond the fan's choice wave).  Plus, you have comic packs and all that other stuff.  Every year I think there will be less to buy (and that's what I tell my wife), but it sure doesn't look that way.  I might have to start picking and choosing even more.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2007, 09:10 AM »
I wonder if that number includes any Saga Legends waves (if we'll have that beyond the fan's choice wave). 

Using this year as precedent, I doubt it.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2007, 02:19 PM »
So what happens when you item doesn't go on clearance within the 90 day refund period? Target isn't going to take it back after that.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2007, 03:18 PM »
So what happens when you item doesn't go on clearance within the 90 day refund period? Target isn't going to take it back after that.

Depends on what you buy.  Like the VTSC you know is going to clearance, but other stuff like your basic figure or vehicle will only go on sale for a couple bucks cheaper for a limited time.  And the only time they'll clearance a fig is if it's the end of the year/line of figs, like how they did the Legends Line last year but the basic fig still hangs around even till now at full price.  I did something similar bought 3 Snowies at full price then when clearance hit, and of course couldn't find any snowies on clearance, I'd bought 3 Leia's @ clearance price and went right back to the return line with the Leia's but used my Snowie receipts to return them at $13 price.  Of course this only works at Target because they use DCPI #'s that are the same for each fig in that Wave.  Did I rip off Target?  Maybe but then again aren't I being ripped off being charged $13 for a figure that should be at the most $7 and the rest of the price is "packaging cost" that I throw right out with the kitty litter.  I've only done this with those VTSC but I'm sure it could be done with other exclusives that Target clearances within a month *cough* Order 66 *cough*
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2007, 03:47 PM »
Back to the topic...   Overload?  What overload?  I haven't seen anything past wave 4 on a peg since September!  In fact, it's starting to feel like spring of 2003 when there were no figures for 6 months!  I can't wait for the X-mas peg loading.

Oh, and Jedipurge...please don'y throw away the packages with the kitty litter.  Kitty litter is garbage, and the packages are recyclable.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #69 on: December 5, 2007, 05:12 PM »
I'm suffering from a bit of Hasbro overload at the moment.  Since Black Friday, I've picked up -

1x Saga Legends Figure
7x 30AC Wave 7.5 Figures
3x 30AC Wave 8 Figures
1x Target Exclusive Ultimate Hoth Battle Pack (keeping only 7 of the figures)
1x Target Exclusive Ultimate Endor Battle Pack
1x Target Exclusive AT-RT Assault Battle Pack (keeping only 2 of the figures)
1x Target Exclusive Elite ACR-170 Battle Pack (keeping only 3 of the figures)
1x Star Wars: Battlefront II Clone Pack
1x Star Wars: Battlefront II Droids Pack
1x EE Elite Forces of the Republic Mandalorians & Omega Squad Box
1x EE Elite Forces of the Republic Mandalorians & Clone Troopers Box (keeping only 5 of the figures)

plus
2x Target Exclusive Galactic Heroes Cinema Scenes for the boys

That's 56 new 3.75" figures in just two weeks.  And I'm still not caught up yet...   ::)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 6, 2007, 09:14 AM »
I'm in the same boat Jeff. I dread looking at the credit card bill this month.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 6, 2007, 09:18 AM »
My change in habits has really helped.  I think I'll I've gotten is a case of Wave 7 from NFC and a few random extra figures (TC-14, another Jawa, and a McVader.

I've passed on both Ultimate BPs, the ARC-170, and all the new BPs that I've seen.  Some of those have been tough passes but I did it.  Does that mean I'm over the hump now?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 4, 2008, 09:36 AM »
It really sounds like we could be headed for another year of "overload" already, with the delay announcements, the Clone Wars "event", as well as the big rumored products we've been hearing about.  In this week's Galactic Hunter Q and A (question #10 and wrap up), Adam discusses this in detail.  I have to say, although the possible break here in the spring/early summer will be nice - but I'd rather things were spread out more evenly as well.  I know I'll want to pick up the majority of things, and it was tough getting through the last half of '07 - and it could be even worse this year.

I'd be ok if Hasbro pared the line down a little bit as well (as mentioned earlier), but I don't think we'll see that happening any time soon.  And, like Adam mentions in his Q and A, its not like many of us will actually "save up" like we should - we'll just buy something else.  I know I'm guilty of that, and I'm trying my best not to do that right now.  I keep thinking I need to cut back on any "other" lines, and this might be the time that it has to happen more significantly.  I want to get the Indy stuff (or some of it), and a few comic figures (Marvel/DC), but that might even be tough.

Anyways, is anyone else a little concerned about the big glut of product at the end of the year again?  Thinking about managing your collections/budget differently because of these recent announcements?  I'm waiting for Toy Fair, and hoping we'll get a clearer picture of things there, and then plan things out.  There are so many great lines these days that I'm interested in, but I've always given Star Wars (Hasbro in particular) top priority - but with the way releases have been since ROTS, its hard enough just to keep up with that line on its own, let alone any others.  I'm wondering that if this trend continues, we might start seeing more collectors get burned out trying to keep up.  I mean, for someone with a budget like mine, the AT-TE and rumored Falcon are technically more than enough spending for half a year by themselves :).

Offline tonphanan

• Jedi Initiate
  • " Has anyone seen my wits?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 4, 2008, 11:17 AM »
End of the year bombardments are the worst because not only am I trying to get the two or three waves that hit at almost the same time it will be Christmas and end of the year inventory for retail. I know I had a tough time finishing the basic TAC series and only picked up 2 Legends figures that were holes in other collection, (RA-7,TC-14). Most of the the last waves don't make it on the shelves around here or at best they are at one store or chain of stores.

As fot the At-Te. I would like to get it, but I just don't see it happening with that price point.
Throw an Ewok at him

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 4, 2008, 12:56 PM »
As fot the At-Te. I would like to get it, but I just don't see it happening with that price point.

Well, since this is supposed to be at least 7-8 months out, even at $150 (factor in another $10 or so for tax), that means only $20 a month to save until they come out. That's QUITE reasonable.

I'm already starting to save for these as I want three of them.

With some waves being pushed back, this should be even easier to save for the AT-TE. However it IS going to suck when all the product hits at once.

It will once again be a mad dash.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010