Author Topic: Hasbro 30AC Overload Already?  (Read 20039 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro 30AC Overload Already?
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2007, 04:10 PM »
No, you're right Chewie that its a little different scenario with Star Wars and sports card collecting.  I guess in that respect I was thinking of the overall action figure aisle - so many different lines, some broad, some smaller, that are all competing for dollars right now.  I just wonder how many "little lines" things can hold (thinking of some of the "statue-like" lines in some respect I guess).  Who knows, maybe that's what things will move toward more in the future - not statues, but more and more "niche" lines.  There sure are a lot of them out there now.  It seemed like when I was a kid it was mainly "big name" lines - Star Wars, Joe, Transformers, He-Man, Marvel (Secret Wars), DC (Super Powers), TMNT for the most part.  I suppose there were probably "other" lines then too, but maybe I just didn't notice them.  Anyways - back on topic, good points guys.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2007, 04:36 PM »
It was the forcasted onslaught of product this year, combined with my review of purchases from last year, that led to my dropping the basic line after 12 years. I hate to be a broken record, but I'm tired of buying things jut to put them in boxes. It was fun when everything was displayed, but that ended when all the product for the prequels hit 8 years ago. Hasbro has said ad naseum that playsets aren't on their to do list, and frankly I have enough figures (well over 1,000 loose) for virtually any movie scene I want to create. I like the McFigures, but the difficulty in locating them at retail has me thinking they aren't worth the hassle. Maybe I'll get a few when they hit Hasbrotoyshop.com, but I'm done hunting.
I really believe that if the projection for '07 had been more in the neighborhood of 40-50 figures, I would have stuck around. 200 + ? No way, no how.  :-\

I just don't know how anyone can keep up at that rate- wealthy with plenty of space are two requirements you shouldn't have to have to get 1 of each Star Wars figure in a year.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2007, 04:57 PM »
Dan, I feel your pain... I think the way I am able to stay sane with the amount of space is to collect in a certain way - since day one, I replace figures when needed... when a new Stormtrooper comes out, I upgrade to the one that I want and sell off or trade the old ones, so I don't lose any display space there.  It's probably a lot easier to do that if one is a loose collector though.

Brian, you also made a good point about the other little lines that are out these days... if "Lost" and so many other things can have things made, I don't see Star Wars dying out for a very long time.

:P

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2007, 06:21 PM »
there isnt enough 30AC in my area. heck its 5 months into the year and Wave 2 still hasnt hit.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2007, 08:52 PM »
I think that the problem with the line is that there is, in fact, too much product on the shelves at any given time, with more attention paid to quantity than quality.  There are 50 million little sublines that could be done away with in favor of a streamlined collection of figures and vehicles, and by getting rid of these mass market shelf-cloggers, it would enable Hasbro to spend money on developing a smaller number of quality figures as opposed to a large number of figures where half sell quickly and half sit for months on end.

I mean, look at last year's Saga Collection stuff:  72 figures total, and I'd say about half of those we could have done without.  I mean, hell, out of the first wave of 30AC figures, we could have thrown that Obi-Wan out completely and I don't think anybody would have shed a tear (despite it being based on one of the best figure sculpts Hasbro's done).  Look at this year's Saga Legends:  do we really need rereleases of most of those figures?  Has the market not gotten enough of ROTS Chewbacca, ROTS Anakin, ROTS Pilot Obi-Wan, and their ilk?

In my ideal world, Hasbro would do seven six-figure-waves, one for each film and one EU wave.  Each figure would ship two per case, nobody would be shortpacked, and the so-called "refresher" cases would be adjusted continually to fill demand for the more popular figures.  No Comic Packs, no Battle Packs, no Order 66 packs, nothing else on the pegs or shelves with action figures in them.  You'd have the Basic Action Figure assortment with 42 figures a year, reshipping throughout the year, and that would be it.

Vehicles would be done on an intermittent basis of maybe 8 for the entire year, with at least 6 of those 8 being new vehicle designs, and the two that would be inevitable repacks being ships that haven't been sitting on shelves for the last 2 years (Obi-Wan's JSF, I'm looking right at you).  Stores could fight over their exclusive vehicles, but everyone would get just one per year, and it would have to be something that didn't fit into the so-called "Starfighter" assortment at mass retail. 

If a deluxe line must absolutely be done, make it a small boxed-set series, with speeder bikes and their respective drivers/riders, small beasts like the Tauntaun or the Geonosian Orray with riders, or even larger robots (a redesigned Crab and/or Spider Droid, a brand new Imperial Probe Droid and Wampa two-pack).  Hell, go one further and give that line to one of the retailers as an exclusive so it doesn't clog shelf space everywhere else.

So that's my ideal year:  42 basic figures, 8 mass market vehicles, 4-6 exclusive larger vehicles, and the possibility of a "deluxe" style figure line.  60 actual toys, total, for a calendar year.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2007, 09:26 PM »
It's funny about the whole 200+ figures thing...I just don't see it that way.  I just don't really count repacks and repaints.  The whole Saga Legends I'll pass on.  I've got them.  Many of the battle packs I don't buy.  I've got them.  There's some really cool stuff this year, if you just buy what you want.  I gave up be a completey-guy a while ago. and I'm much happier.  And you know what?  The Star Wars Action Figure Police never once came to my house and inspected my collection!!
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2007, 11:13 PM »
there isnt enough 30AC in my area. heck its 5 months into the year and Wave 2 still hasnt hit.

You're in Canada, why does this surprise you?  Really, why?  There are places in the US that haven't seen hide nor hair of this wave either and you expect us to be overrun with it?  I don't think so, considering we've been ahead of them all of twice: Carkoon wave last year; TAC wave 1 this year since 1995.  We'll lag behind them just like we did last year. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2007, 11:18 PM »
I agree, I don't see it as 200+ figures, as there's battlepacks, straight repacks, and things...  Most recent example of something that "didn't count" to me was the Bantha packs.  I'd dig the darker set, of course, but I won't pay the price they want and I don't feel bad at skipping it because, well, it's nothing to go nuts over if you were around early enough to get the original bantha (which has better fur IMO).  I just don't count that stuff though...

Now, there is a lot coming out, and a lot I'll buy, plus I'll be buying up army builders like usual which adds to my collecting, and customizing usually means I get two of most new/unique figures at least (2 Luke Ceremonies for instance).  But that's not been a problem for me and I'm really on a budget for space and money too...  Neither is abundant for me at all.

It helps I don't have other collectibles on my mind though.  I buy military figures but I don't get into SS 12" figures generally (just the Militaries of SW line), no GG for me, no MR till I can get FX sabers for good deals...  It means I wait but it's worth it.

So I'm ok.  I wish things were cheaper though, but I become ever less hopeful of a $6 figure with every whine-fest from Hasbro in the Q&A's about what it costs them to do business.  I could do without the "whoa-is-me" stuff from them when, afterall, they are making plenty off this line as per their own reports...  

But at the end of the day, if I like what I'm into the price affects me less.  Case-in-point is the vintage series, and really so far everything 30AC we've seen.  I don't feel deluged right now though, however like I said it's the fact I discount repacks most of the time, a lot of battlepacks I'm not compelled to buy AT ALL...

When it hurts is crap like the Tin sets.  Those stung the wallet...  The price, the product...  I liked the tins, I liked usually a single figure in the set...  That hurts when you buy it, and stuff like that is really a screwjob from Hasbro as it's high-priced to buy something you already have.  It's so squarely aimed at adults too, not kids, and really was one of those things you should wake up and smell the coffee over about why Hasbro isn't your friend.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2007, 11:23 PM »

You're in Canada, why does this surprise you?  Really, why?  There are places in the US that haven't seen hide nor hair of this wave either and you expect us to be overrun with it?  I don't think so, considering we've been ahead of them all of twice: Carkoon wave last year; TAC wave 1 this year since 1995.  We'll lag behind them just like we did last year. 

BTW, yeah I agree with this...  :)

No offense to Canadians, but considering I've seen only remnants of Wave 2, it shouldn't shock you guys to not be seeing them either.  Hell, even Wave 1's pretty well gone in my area and many others.  The Clones, Miner, SBD...  Many Mace's too, all gone.  Only R2's and Obi's abound.

We can't all be Darth_Anton afterall.  ;D (j/k Anthony)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2007, 06:43 AM »

although that is true but last year TSC was everywhere and had a lot more then just two pegs for the line. and of course we were already past wave 1 in may. i just find this year to be a lot slower in distribution then last year. yes we didnt get the last couple of waves and we probably won't again this year. im just saying that its now taking too long and not enough is being placed on the pegs.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2007, 07:27 AM »
I understand 200+ is only if you have to get everything, and I haven't felt that way in a while. I think Jesse touched on the other issue, and that is some of the figures I DO want will be packed with craptacular figures so I can pay extra (Order 66, tins, battle packs) and they are often exclusives to boot. Or they will be shortpacked and made exclusives (McFigures this year, GH last, GH yet to come this year). Like I said, I might still get a couple. But my collection used to be all about the basic figures, with a few other things tossed in. Now it is Kubricks, a few other things, and the basic figures are the odd ones out.
I don't blame others for continuing, there are some great items coming out this year. And many haven't been doing it as long, so there is more time before hitting the ceiling (maybe literally, with all the boxes and plastic tubs). For me it just comes down to defining "When is my collection done?" I sure don't need 200 in '07, and when I think about it, I really don't need much of any.
I guess I just keep thinking about last year. I really liked the cardbacks, there were some fantastic army builders, and even a few ships I liked. I spent a boatload, and used a ton of time hunting. Considering I complain almost daily about not having enough time, that is a little ridiculous.

One more shot at Hasbro- the constant (ass)ertion that there isn't a market for large ships or playsets, particularly to justify the investment that goes in to tooling. A line that can support 200 figures (and whether we each buy them or not that is what they are producing this year) can sure as hell support some prop-type products. It is retail that kills this idea (shelf-space vs return) not lack of interest. They have shown with the gunship, jedi fighters, and titanium line that repaints can signifcantly improve return on moding/tooling costs, and that the market will support it.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2007, 09:23 AM »
I agree with those of you that have mentioned that it isn't necessarily a 200+ figure year for everyone - the same goes for me.  I pass on the majority of battle packs (and repacks), and have always been a "buy what I like" type of person.  This year has gotten a little trickier for me, because for some reason those coins make me want a complete set.  We'll see how that goes though.  I do think that this year is shaping up to be one of the best years yet.  The figures look really good so far, and even ones that are repack/retools are significantly different.  Keep the repacks/repaints in the Saga Legends line, and it helps quite a bit.  Sixty figures in the basic line is still more than enough for me, especially when I buy extras of some, but then again I'm the type of person who is ready for the next wave to hit once I'm caught up.

You'd have the Basic Action Figure assortment with 42 figures a year, reshipping throughout the year, and that would be it.

This is one thing I've thought about, how the reshipping thing goes.  I know most of us get tired of seeing main characters, but I do in some ways feel bad for parents/kids in some respects with the line.  For the most part, when many of us were kids during the vintage days, parents could pop into a store to find a Luke, Han, Stormtrooper, Vader, etc. for the birthdays and/or Christmas.  These days, that's not as simple.  I noticed this when we were trying to find some OT main characters for our nephew last Christmas.  Granted, its easier for us collectors who know other ways to get the figures if we really need to - but for the standard "shopping for my kid" parent, it could be more of a pain.  Although it would likely never happen, I wouldn't mind seeing the "Saga Legends" assortment take this aspect over in the future.  If we have to have a repack assortment like that, pack it with a VOTC Han, a Luke, a Leia, a Vader, R2/3PO, Chewie, Stormtrooper, and a Yoda - then throw in some prequel characters too like Evolutions Anakin(s), Obi-Wan (Pilot or Comic Pack version), Padme, Clonetroopers, etc.  That way there would be good versions of all the main characters available all year long.  Granted, its just a different market now than it was in the vintage days (and with more movies/material to cover), but it was nice being able to walk into the toy aisle as a kid and look at the Star Wars section and see a decent variety of characters - and none were obscenely tough to find for the most part.  These days I can go to our TRU and see nothing but 7 Jerjerrods staring back at me.  That has to be exciting for a kid going there looking for Star Wars figures :P.  But, like I said, its just a different world these days.

Offline Cyber 7306

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2007, 01:49 PM »
The only figures I plan on buying for sure are:
Elis Helrot
M'iiyoom Onith
Jawa and Miner Droid
Roron Corobb
Voolvif Monn
Yoda and Kybuck
Darth Malak
Darth Revan

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2007, 11:52 AM »
After reading this answer from last week's Q and A, I'm a little scared for next year:

"It's too early to give totals, but in next year's "Saga" line (including Spring 30th and the follow-up line) you can expect about the same as this year, perhaps a bit fewer as we make room for Clone Wars. The Clone Wars details are being kept under wraps, but it will be a solid showing. Finally, on IJ, we are looking at close to 30 basic figures....strong support for all four IJ films over the course of the year."

Now, this has probably been the best year for SW collecting ever - with lots of great figures, and relatively few stinkers for the entire year - and I've really enjoyed collecting, but it has taken quite a bit to keep up.  The way I read this answer is that we'll see a similar amount of product in next year's line, and that's even before the Clone Wars stuff hits in the fall.  With some rumblings that the CW line could have 40ish figures as well, that's a lot of stuff to buy.  I don't know about everyone else, but I'm running out of space (and money) with the pace of this stuff :P.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2007, 03:47 PM »
Good to revive this topic Brian - you saw my comments in Watto's Junk Yard.  Its scary how much time and money are spent on these figures.  I'm seriously debating giving it all up.