Author Topic: Military Surplus/Militaria Anyone?  (Read 10202 times)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Military Surplus Anyone?
« Reply #15 on: June 7, 2008, 11:51 PM »
After doing some research, I identified the German rifle I have as Mauser K98k. Pretty cool find, and I think I'd like to invest in more militaria from the WWII era. Does anyone here know of any good places to acquire items from that era? I'm interested in stuff like belt buckles, patches, bags, etc.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Military Surplus/Militaria Anyone?
« Reply #16 on: June 8, 2008, 11:39 AM »
Get ready to spend more money than you would have thought possible.

First off...on your rifle what is the Maker code, the year and condition are the "Dirty Birds" still in tact?.  There is a chance your gun is worth $100 or $1000.  What alot of beginning collectors fail to realize is that the Germans (and occupied countries) only made MILLIONS of all that stuff.

I don't know where you are, but I would start with a Gun Show, many collectors set up tables there and sell things from all eras.  Also, if you have a significant other, take them "Antique Shopping", alot of good antique stores carry good WWII items.

I have collected WWII militaria since I was 13, when my Grandfather (Marines) gave me all of his old stuff, this was followed by 4 of his 7 brothers giving me their old WWII stuff as well.  From Army Cavalry (yup WWII US Cavalary) to Navy and even some Flying Tigers stuff from China.

On the scale of Expense...the German Stuff is the most expensive for the most part.  There are Japanese Items that top the scales, but the interest is in the German stuff so it gets more attention.
US stuff is third
British is Fourth
Russian fifth
Italian sixth

This is just my experience.  I have bought British and Russian stuff and sold it for a loss before just to make room.  It is not that it is less "Cool" just less in demand.

There are books at Barnes and Noble or Borders that can give you an idea of what is "Out there"..but their prices are like most price guides...

Stay away from Ebay unless you know what you are looking for exactly.

Learn how to detect fakes.  This will save you heartache and headache.  I always assume that what I am buying is a FAKE until proven otherwise.  The fakes are that good these days.  Not that a reproduction in your collection will ruin it, sometimes it is the only way to get certain items.  

http://www.manions.com/
http://www.stewartsmilitaryantiques.com/
www.1944militaria.com

If you decide you want some stuff, send me a pm, I have stuff to get rid of...

« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 12:40 PM by Paul »

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 8, 2008, 05:20 PM »
Paul, that is badass looking.  Might I ask where you were able to pick that up from.

And on a sidenote, I'm gussing those are hills on the west side of Ft.Worth. ;)
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 8, 2008, 09:01 PM »
First off...on your rifle what is the Maker code, the year and condition are the "Dirty Birds" still in tact?. 

"Dirty Birds"... You mean the eagle w/ swastika? There are a few of those still intact, I believe the year is 1943.

Also, while cleaning out the basement earlier this week, I stumbled upon this:

(Note: Not actual photos, just what I could find online that looked exactly like it)

Among a few other knives, mostly German. This was definitely the most interesting of the lot.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: June 9, 2008, 01:27 AM »
I'm not a piece expert, but it's very similar to Hitler Youth knives I've seen...  Paul knows markings much better than I though, so I'm sure he can pinpoint that knife for you better.  I also know very little German to know what it says on it there exactly.

Paul shared his halftrack with me before he'd posted about it anywhere and I still can't get over the fact that he bought...  A HALF TRACK!

I thought I was cool for owning a 1:18 one and then Paul goes and buys the real damn thing.  I got served I think.

Then he tells me some of the other stuff he has wanted to purchase, and if I didn't know better I'd have thought he was pulling my leg...  But he's not.

We...  We are not collectors, of things...  Paul is.  Paul makes Sansweet look lame by comparison.  It's still, without a doubt, the coolest "toy" I've ever known anyone to purchase.  It'd be so cool to ride in it.  To ride in history, basically. 
« Last Edit: June 9, 2008, 01:28 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #20 on: June 9, 2008, 06:01 AM »
Paul needs to post pictures of his whole collection... That Half Track is a museum quality piece. I'm insanely jealous of you. That is easily one of the coolest pieces of anykind I've ever seen in a private collection. I would absolutely love to have money and space enough to build my own WWII collection.

So Paul, have you ever driven that beast?
"This is the way."

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 9, 2008, 08:35 AM »

Among a few other knives, mostly German. This was definitely the most interesting of the lot.

Yes those are "Dirty Birds" the Germans in WWII stamped EVERY single part of every metal product with them.  After the war countries that got them (Israel, Turkey, Czech etc) would scratch them off or overstamp them.  So if the birds are intact on a weapon it usually means it was a true vet bring back.

The Dagger you have (if it looks just like that) is a very good piece.  Bladed weapons are highly sought after.  That one is ceremonial, and every branch of service and government had their own daggers.  Is yours Brown like that?  If so it is most likely an SA dagger.  The inscription is literally "Everything for Germany"... the SS version was Black and says something to the effect of my honor is true.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 12:42 PM by Paul »

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 9, 2008, 04:39 PM »
I just can't get over how beautiful that thing is. 
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 9, 2008, 06:13 PM »
b
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 12:42 PM by Paul »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #24 on: June 9, 2008, 06:43 PM »
That is so cool!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: June 9, 2008, 09:32 PM »
(hence the F-4 Phantom paintjob)

:D
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2008, 09:28 PM »
OK we took the M4a1 Mortar Half-Track to it's first event...

There is a small town here in Texas that has an "Oatmeal Festival" every year.  Part of the festival is a parade... it was a 10 minute trailer ride, so we took a chance...  I also have some video of us shooting the .50 and Water Cooled .30 (not during the parade)..but don't know how to upload...

With all the gear (minus the bodies...) 14,950 lbs.

Ready to go back into the barn before October's trip to Camp Claiborne...

For nothing more than just hanging out with pals and playing dress up...they gave us this.

Thanks to the City of Bertram, Burnet County and the Oatmeal Festival folks.  We had a great time.

Offline Commissar

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 05:36 AM »
I've been collecting cold war stuff mostly...
My collection so far is as follows:

- Grey military issue Ushanka hat with Soviet insignia.
- Black military issue Ushanka hat with Russian Federation insignia.
- Golden Soviet belt buckle with brown belt.
- Golden Soviet belt buckle with white belt.
- 2 Soviet Guards badges.
- 1 Russian Federation Guards badge.
- 1 belarus Guards badge.
- 1 Excellent soldier badge.
- Soviet Army Medic's jacket.
- Motorized infantry soldiers every day hat.
- Missile Cruiser Ukraine Soviet sailors hat.
- Soviet Army General Visor hat.
- WW2 reproduction NKVD visor hat.
- Blood donor pin.
- Athlete pin.
- Graduation from Soviet University badge.
- Ribbon bar.
- Telnyashka stripped sailor shirt.
- CCCP dog tag emblem.
- Russian Specnaz boots.
- Soviet Panama Hat/Afghanka.
- Another grey soviet Ushanka.
- 50 buttons ( 10 green soviet buttons BIG 10 green soviet buttons SMALL 10 gold soviet buttons SMALL 10 RF buttons BIG and 10 RF buttons SMALL )
- Soviet Officers peacoat ( naval )
- General of Aviation Visor cap.
- Officers field bag
- Officers map bag.
- Soviet VDV beret.
- Russian Federation VDV beret.
- Various cap badges.
- Various patches for jackets / uniforms.
- NKVD badge.
- 4 KGB badges.

Woo!
Thats all...and growing! :)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2008, 10:11 AM »
What's the point in collecting the stuff, if you don't take it out and play with it every once in a while...

Here are some pics from last weekend:

We took the track to a Parade Thursday Night and to a Re-enactment Friday-Sunday.

History note.. These are not Marine Uniforms, some US Army Units during D-Day and the initial stages in France wore Camo uniforms.  The unit we are portraying was the 41st Armored Infantry... a part of 2nd Armored Division.  The camo's were quickly replaced as they were very similar to German Camo.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 10:15 AM by Paul »

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2008, 12:35 PM »

The unit we are portraying was the 41st Armored Infantry

So which one of you is supposed to be Cmdr. Gree and where's Yoda?  :P

Seriously that's some pretty impressive stuff, now that's a hobby I wish I could afford.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge