Author Topic: Military Surplus/Militaria Anyone?  (Read 10205 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Military Surplus/Militaria Anyone?
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2008, 03:37 PM »
You guys put my patch and coin collection to shame!   :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2009, 11:10 AM »
I've got to add something here.  I don't yet have the pics though, but I do have the rifle in my possesion.

My dad was going to give to me his Lee-Enfield .303 on day.  Well, it was a late Christmas present to me yesterday. It was the British equivalent of the American M1 Garand.  It was first produced in about 1909 and went through several modifactions and is still in service today in India.  It was built in a similar fashion to the German Mauser 98, but the bolt works much faster.  I have the No4, Mark I model.  This model first saw production in 1939 and was more wide scale in 1941.  I'm going to run a check this week and see exactly when my rifle was made, but I don't believe it actually saw combat in WWII, but I do believe my dad once traced it back to about 1943 for production.

I also have a bayonet that goes with it.  The original bayonets were basically a spike and towards the end of WWIi, '44, the bayonets were modified into regular knives like most weapons had. 

This rifle is still fully functional and is my new deer/hog rifle.

I'll try to post some pics of the rifle and bayonet tonight.  I've also got a couple of uniform jackets and a shirt that I want to shoot pics of as well.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2009, 11:30 AM »
Sounds like a beauty.  Can't wait for pics.

There will be dates stamped on various parts of the gun (bolt, receiver, and maybe even trigger guard).

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2009, 01:35 PM »
Yep, I was looking at them last night.  I don't remember if the trigger guard had one though.  However, the bayonet did, so that was pretty cool.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2009, 09:06 AM »
I took my military surplus out for day in the Rain/Sun on Saturday.

The first 26 seconds is about all they showed of it.

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/news/041809_american_heroes_celebrated_at_camp_mabry

We spent about 900+ .50 cal BLANKS.

I am the guy with the goggles on my helmet.   By the time the camera was rolling we winding down the public event and my thumbs were killing me.

The top/cover was on the track because 3 hours prior it was raining a bit, plus we were parked for a while and wanted to have our own shade.

No footage of the track rolling (sorry JJ) but this even is well attended in Austin so if any YouTube videos pop up I will update.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 09:48 AM by Paul »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2009, 02:35 AM »
That kicks ass Paul, and that's the closest I've ever come to seeing an image of you too. ;D

Outstanding fun though, it appears.  Wish I could join you sometime...  hell, wish I had a uniform to join you and participate!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2009, 08:23 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7S8yATABMc

Here we go... it is sad what that microphone does to the sound of the M2...

The Sherman behind us, while technically a WWII vehicle is actually an unconverted Post-War Israeli Super 8 which doesn't make it less cool, just less correct for WWII.  Also the M2 on it is a simulator, so the sound is rather "subdued".

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2009, 10:22 AM »
Cool stuff Paul. 

I can speak from first hand experience, simulated rounds do not do the Ma Deuce justice to how loud it really is.  Awesome weapon with an incredible amount of firepower.

Every time I see this thread, I keep telling myself to stick up the pics of the stuff I've got right now.

Embrace the suck.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2009, 02:45 AM »
Anyone collect Osprey Publishing's books?  Especially the series on tactics of various eras/militaries, and WW2 books in particular?

Paul I was wondering if you were into these at all?  I'd like to pick up a few but I'm hoping I can get them used somewhere rather than plunk down $20+ a pop.  Kinda wanted some opinions early too though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2009, 09:23 AM »
Jesse, I've seen the books you're talking about in a number of places but have never purchased any.  They've got some good information in them though, but you are right that $20 a book is bit steep.  I'd imagine you can get them off Amazon for significantly less.

Embrace the suck.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2009, 09:44 AM »
I probably have (or had at one time) 90% of the WW2 stuff from the the European Theater, and a dozen from other theaters and conflicts.

The Tactics books are fairly recent and I like them as an addition to the Uniforms, Units and Vehicle books I have.  Some of the earlier books are not that great as they are overbroad.  They will take US Paratroops from 1946-Modern Day and "Modern Day" means late 80's.  

A caveat, the artists in these books are not bound by what "Actually" was worn, they improvise alot or do a rendition of 1 photograph out of 1000, so when you see a US General wearing an Iron Cross 1st Class on his pistol holster like a concho in a drawing, you have to realize it might not have been standard issue.  Or a German wearing Italian U-boat Leathers.

Does the Pittsburgh area have a "Half Price Books"?  I picked up at least 1/4 of mine there over time.  It helped that this one was close to a hobby shop.

Ebay has some decent prices too.

If it is a title you want (like one about US Halftracks) then I would say Amazon and just know you are going to pay retail.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 09:45 AM by Paul »

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2009, 11:15 AM »
I dunno if this exactly fits here, but a couple weeks back my buddy gave me one of his several Springfield 1903A3's... Love these rifles.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2009, 11:40 AM »
Well I would say it counts, but i need photos to make 100% sure.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2009, 12:49 PM »

Nowhere near as cool as the stuff that Paul has, but this is this is the Enfield 303 that I inherited from my dad.  I apologize ahead of time for the grainy pics as I've only got my phone to take pics on right now.  The first pic here is the rifle and bayonet, still in the scabbard.

The second pic here is the bayonet removed from the scabbard.  As the war went on, the bayonet for this weapon changed and was eventually a more traditional knife blade as opposed to the to the "spike" that you see here.

The last pic is the rifle seen from the butt...duh!!  I love the way this thing shoots.  Very smooth action on the bolt and it works with a short turn.  Unlike most weapons of the age that were bolt action, this one has a short turn and short pull, which allowed the operator to fire faster.  The magazine carries 8 rounds, just as the M1 garand did.  This was the main weapon for the British empire during the war and in some countries is still in use.  Matter of fact, a Canadian patrol in Afghanistan came under sniper fire.  They got the sniper an the opposite side of the ridge, and found his weapon to be an Enfield 303.

I took pics of the uniforms I have, not much, just basic dress uniform.  One is my grandfather's and the other belongs to the father of a lady who works with my mother in law.  I'll get those pics up eventually.

Embrace the suck.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2009, 04:54 PM »
Later this year I'll have to post pics of my black rifle in production. Custom ordered this thing several months ago, probably won't get any of the parts in until October or November.

16" CAR AR15 w/ Bushmaster Lower
5.56 Chrome Lined Chamber & Bore (1-9 Twist)
A2 Flashhider, A3 w/ Removable Carry Handle
STD Sights & Aperatures
4 Stop Stock

And I'm debating on picking up a Springfield 1911 GI Issue, but I dunno. I'd kind of rather have a compact .45 since I CCW...