Author Topic: New JD Review: 30AC Airborne Clone Trooper  (Read 4614 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
New JD Review: 30AC Airborne Clone Trooper
« on: May 10, 2007, 01:10 AM »
Time to kick off the 30th Anniversary Collection with a review!

We're taking a look first at one of the latest troopers to add to your clone arsenal,

The Utapau Airborne Clone Trooper!

Cllick the button to read the review please...

As figures go, Hasbro doesn't screw up clones TOO often.  I'd say the worst work they did on one since '05 was probably Bacara, with Cody a close CLOSE second place.  The Airborne Trooper we, oddly, got a glimpse of before his film figure was made, as he was slipped into the Mace WIndu Squadron battlepack last year.  A nifty figure at the time, fans automatically cried out for an orange version.  Flash forward to, well, now, and we have him in purple, movie orange, blue...  and probably more colors to come.

The Utapau paintjob is quite sharp though and the only film accurate Airborne Trooper in the line so far.  Very nice, and a good figure to build a nice little army up that can accompany your Utapau Grunts and Cody into battle.  Is he an Airborne guy?  A medic?  Well there's some debate but EU's calling them airborne so that's what we go with.

Anyway, he's pretty well articulated, he's got lots of gear, a removable helmet feature, great paint aps overall, a good sculpt...  So where are your dozen of him?  Yes, he gets a big thumbs up from me. ;)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: New JD Review: 30AC Airborne Clone Trooper
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 12:52 PM »
I have 3 so far, I love this figure! ;D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 07:01 PM »
It's definitely a good figure...  Hasbro's level of quality is up in '07 and I"m just hoping it maintains these levels.  Nothing's perfect and little flaws like the inability for the helmet to sit right on this guy are indeed annoying.  Still, he's been fun to buy multiples of.  I've passed on some, not many though, and managed to get 8 so far I believe...  I don't see them much at all anymore though.  For a brief time I saw these guys usually every trip I went out in groups of 2 or 3 at SOME store.  Now all gone.

Hope he reships for a while to come and in remix assortments at the end of the year.  I'd definitely get more.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 07:03 PM »
Awesome sculpt. Awesome review. Nailed it, as always, JJ. Good to see you getting started on 30AC, its gonna be an awesome year, that is if I can find any of the new stuff with TSC sh!t keeping the pegs of SJ warm as friggin' hell!  >:(

David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 12:02 AM »
Yeah, so far I should likely list availability as a big "Con" in my reviews... ;)

Though Wave 1 shipped decently for a brief time, Wave 2's been a royal pain and Wave 1's mostly dried up save for Obi/R2 hanging around most places.  Those army builders though?  Forget about 'em around here, they're long gone. :(

Makes me wish I hadn't passed on as much as I did at the time because, well, I'm not done.  Refresher waves are a likely thing though, so patience padawans!

A figure like this though?  You easily want 20 of. ;)  That's my goal I think at least.  20 to complement a larger grunt Utapau army.

This is a fantastic figure though, without question.  Kinda sucks that this guy, the Utapau Trooper, and the RT Driver are all pretty great, even Obi-Wan, and then COmmander Cody sucks so badly...  blah.

This guy though, everyone needs an Airborne or 30 for their shelves!  Thanks guys. :)

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 10:31 AM »
I can still find these pretty good at one Wal-Mart and Magic Mart in my area.

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 05:14 PM »
Got another one today. ;D

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 09:47 AM »
A big plus for me from this figure is that he was actually in the movie. Great figure and spot on review as always.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 1, 2007, 09:10 AM »
Once again I have to agree with your assessment Jesse. I was highly anticipating this figure. So when I saw it come with the Mace squad I was a little torn. I was glad to finally have the figure, but really wanted it in movie orange first. Well thankfully we knew it would be in orange shortly there after so I didn't stress on it.

Thankfully he will be showing up in later cases, but not too late. IIRC, the last time he ships in the TAC line is with Wave 4.

Articulation is awesome with this figure and the sculpt is excellent. I have several myself, most bought on the net, but some I found in stores. I have enough for my Utapau force, so I'm happily passing on all the rest of these I see or I'd have had several dozen by now. (Jesse, if you still need more of these, LMK, and I'll hook you up at the summer social-which is to say the PSWCS or Pennsylvania Star Wars Collecting Society summer social.)

-Sal
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010