Author Topic: TSC-065 Elite Corps Clone Trooper  (Read 4454 times)

Offline Clones

• Youngling
  • Not your average clone
    • View Profile
TSC-065 Elite Corps Clone Trooper
« on: March 25, 2007, 12:49 PM »
Clones will now reveiw a...

Jedi, Droid, Sith, Cantina Alien, Rebel, and a Bounty Hunter.

*Ahem* What I ment to say was "clone".

Elite Corps Clone Trooper

With the recent onslaught of Clone repaints, I realized only 3 were ever in a movie. I picked one up last night at Target, hoping to find some TAC. Instead, I was lucky enough to find a couple of Clone Seargents, Engineers, and one last Elite Corps Clone.

I'll say that this is a good figure with a fitting name. BARC Trooper would suggest this as a rider/driver of a vehicle, while Elite Corps fits in perfectley with the ROTS group, the 41st Elite Corps, led by Commander Gree.

The Saga Collection was a good line for Clone Troopers, but by the end of the year, we began wondering "Will we ever get a BARC Trooper?". The question was soon answered as a "Yes".

Packaging Nice! The pose on the card is very exciting, considering how few pictures of the Elite Corps are available from their limited screentime. The back shows the trooper in the same pose with a background scene. The cardback is also a very fitting scene from the beach of Kashykk. Otherwise there really isn't much to say about this figure's card. Just the usual Saga Collection garb, nothing special. One final note, the card shows the trooper holding a rifle, but the figure, of course, does not carry one.

Sculpt This was a big contraversy. I truthfully, don't care.If Hasbro were to make a new sculpt, it might not be as good in terms of articulation. Some modifications to the sculpt would have been nice though, but I really think that all the hubba about this sculpt is really un needed. Not the best choice on Hasbro's part either, but still, it is not really necessary to whine on and one about minor details on him, such as the lower torso and thighs.

Paint To make up for some sculpting flaws, we get a fabulous cameo-paint job. There is no slop on my copy, however,with cameo it's really hard to tell what's slop and what isn't. However, areas like the visor, and other details were not flooded over by the cameo. I put this guy in front of a dark green sheet and it is very hard to find him! The cameo works!

Articulation We have a winner! This guy is standard SA, ball joints and all. All of the joints are tight and don't flop around much. This figure can be put into several dynamic poses, but nothing that we haven't seen on Clone Troopers in the past few years.

Accesories Again, nothing out of the ordinary. We get a small scout pistol, a DC-15 Carbine, a base, and hologram figure. I really think the carbine is a better choice for this figure for a few reasons-He's shown holding it on the card insert, ROTS Clones used this one more often. The stand had the correct movie labled on it, unlike some of the final 22 figures. THe hologram figures will be missed by me. In my opinion, they were one of the coolest extras yet.

Value Worth my seven dollars. This is becoming the ordinary for figures, and I'm not so happy with that, but I'll say that a quality figure like this (Previously a VTSC) is worth seven bucks. 10/10

Overall Buy him if you are a fan of clones. If you're not, make it a priority, even so!!!! This figure is amazing, 'nuff said.

RATING
Packaging 9/10
Sculpt 8/10
Paint 10/10
Articulation 10/10
Accesories 9/10
Value 10/10

OVERALL 9.3/10

-Clones-
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 12:50 PM by Clones »
-Clones-

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: TSC-065 Elite Corps Clone Trooper
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 09:44 AM »
I can't say that I'm as enthused about this figure. In fact, it's popularity to me is a bit of a head scratcher. Sure, it's a nicely articulated body, but the sculpt is woefully inadequate. If this was an EU OT figure, I'd give it top marks, but as the Kashyyyk trooper it's released as, I have to give it a failing grade.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 01:31 AM »
I agree Anton...

I didn't review the final 22 figures due to them being all repainted older items for the most part there, so these pretty much were a figure that went past my reviewing radar. 

I think the VTSC Scout is pretty outstanding as a figure, no doubt.  Add the flip-up visor, it's that much more an impressive figure if you have that version.  The same applies tot he Kashyyyk Trooper's design.  Outstanding articulation, but as a Kashyyyk 41st Elite Clone Trooper he's a miserable failure.  The helmet inaccuracies, boot inacurracies, and the torso pouches/pockets are all major flaws that alter the look of the two distinct characters.

The positive to this figure, for me, is that it is camo'd Scouts for $7 instead of $10...  I can accept that.  It doesn't fill the Kashyyyk Trooper void though, by a long shot. :(  As the figure it's intended as, it definitely doesn't get high marks.  For once people can say they saw me give something wtih great articulation a low grade because of the sculpt inaccuracies I guess.  ;D  The missing details on this costume are just too big though.

It's a figure I loaded up on because I'm using them for something EU, and nothing more, but the myriad of folks who didn't like this figure because of the sculpt inaccuracies have a pretty legit gripe on this one despite the coolness that is the VTSC Scout.

To me it's the same as I felt about Gree a couple years back.  Horrible figure, horribly inaccurate in sculpt and paint, but a great base figure they used for the repaint, they just needed to resculpt the thing instead of giving a half-assed job.  I feel less so about the Scout, but the point is the same ultimately, and I know Gree still irritates me.

On the issue of value I disagree too...  $7 is too much for any SW figure these days.  $10 wasn't good either, but $7's still bad I'm afraid, especially as the figure comes with nothing new/exciting packed in with it either. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 01:07 PM »
I have to agree with...

...clones.

The review is pretty close. The sculpt is fine, the paint aps are outstanding, I wish the helmet was a wee bit more accurate but this is hardly noticeable. Good articulation. It could easily have come with the Evo rifle rather than just the little blaster and little pistol, but he still comes with everything a clone trooper needs. I think this is a very decent figure, one of the Final 22's best.  :)  8)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: April 1, 2007, 02:25 AM »
The sculpt is fine thougH?

The legs aren't right below the knees, the helmet's visor is unmistakeably different (and that's the big one to most people actually, which hardly counts as unnoticeable), and the mid-section's incorrect due to the lack of ammo pouches and such that the actual 41st costume has...

I dunno, I can't agree with that at all.  Like I said, this is like Gree...  A figure that, if you are going to give us a 41st, you need to at least do SOME resculpting.  A simple coat of paint doesn't hide all those inaccuracies I'm afraid. 

The figure underneath is great, and as a cammo'd imperial scout he's fantastic. :)  As a 41st Elite he's barely in the ballpark.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Clones

• Youngling
  • Not your average clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 1, 2007, 03:12 PM »
I'm not so strict when it comes to the sculpt of figures. But then I'm biased when it comes to clones. However, I truly feel that we asked for an SA BARC Trooper, nothing but. now, that doesn't get Hasbro an excuse, however, be careful what you wish for.  ;)
-Clones-

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 1, 2007, 04:05 PM »
hey if people dislike this figure so much ill be more then happy to take any donation....to get it off you back that is..lessen the load ;)
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline vadersfist28

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 01:38 AM »
I love this clone trooper as hes been hard to get but i just love the look and everything about the trooper
Get those rebel scum.Yessss Sir

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 1, 2007, 09:26 AM »
Hmm, I'm kind of both agreeing and disagreeing with Jesse here. I too was miffed when I found out that the helmet was not movie accurate. I really wasn't so concerned with the other inaccurate details.

However I also get it from Hasbro's POV. They made this more readily available by just slapping a paint job on him. For dioramas, it works just fine. I think the average person that knows the movies will know this is the Kashyyyk clone. For the more discerning fan, such as ourselves, yes, we'll know the flaws are there, but again in a diorama, they'll still look pretty cool.

Will Hasbro ever come out with a movie accurate version? Unlikely. If they do, I'll build that one up too. But, for now, I'm quite happy with the figure as it is. Perfect no, but it fills the bill for the most part. I do wish they would have packed a rifle in with it though, instead of two blasters.

I ended up really building this one up and was able to score from all over the place, calling in favors from fellow collecting buds from around the country. Of the 40 I have, I think I only bought 10 of them locally. Believe it or not, eBay was actually a good source for me on these and on most occassions I was getting them for retail or less, even after shipping.

Maybe that reflects on the people who didn't like the inaccurate sculpt. That's fine, as it made it easier for the rest of us.

-Sal
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010