Author Topic: 2008 Rumors and Speculation  (Read 58327 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
2008 Rumors!
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2007, 09:54 PM »
The body would definitely need to be redone.  It's just too narrow to seat two pilots.  And then I look at the engineering that went into the AT-AP, and it seems like maybe Hasbro is genuinely interested in stepping up the vehicles.  And I think they might have been thinking about updating the AT-ST for a little while. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 09:54 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
2008 Rumors!
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2007, 10:01 PM »
I hope so.  I'm at the point where I've stopped buying lots of the vehicles that come out (jedi starfighter repaints mostly...) and would love it if they could update the classic molds.  To date the TIE Fighter, X-Wing, and Landspeeder are the only ones that they've changed dramatically.  (Right?)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
2008 Rumors!
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2007, 10:03 PM »
Well, Slave I got a major redesign with the SAGA line and the ensuing OTC repaint.  And there have been significant updates to the Millenium Falcon, but it's essentially the same toy but with some cool light effects.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
2008 Rumors!
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2007, 10:56 PM »
Would they need to re-do the legs and body (bigger) to make this work?  Or can they get away with just doing the cockpit and re-using the rest?

Personally I'd be disappointed with just a body upgrade, however someone (and I can't recall who but maybe Dago-Bah?) updated an AT-ST with a new head basically, on the old body, and it was a vast improvement.  Like I say I don't think I'd be content with it as a scale AT-ST's not really big at all...  Well within their ability and it's the kind of vehicle people might buy 2, or more of it.  I'm down for 6 anyway if it's done to-scale with modern figures...  If it were just the "head" portion done to-scale I'd still go for the customizing possibilities but Hasbro has it in them to really wow us with an OT resculpt.

TIE Fighter was nice...  It's an update, pretty simple one too, but the AT-ST's really something that needs the Landspeeder's treatment.  That was pretty slick.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
2008 Rumors!
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2007, 11:13 PM »
Yep - forgot Slave one. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Ultimate Maul & Obi-Wan in '08?
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2007, 09:11 AM »
I am thinking that if they do include prequel figures into the vintage line, it will be with the 10th anniversary.

What if they did them on the Episode 1 cards?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2007, 10:24 AM »
I am thinking that if they do include prequel figures into the vintage line, it will be with the 10th anniversary.

I think i would prefer vintage cards with episode I pictures.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2007, 01:46 PM »

>:(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2007, 02:50 PM »

>:(

Trust me, i hear what you are saying, but i can't picture episode I cards in the clamshell and presented all special. It just doesnt work. Too new. Either way i won't get that same feeling of nostalgia.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2007, 03:06 PM »

I hate those Episode I cards with a passion, but I'd much rather they did that then taint the vintage line with Prequel characters.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Re: 2008 Rumors!
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2007, 04:49 PM »
Oh, I think the whole appeal will be Ep 1 figs on vintage type cards, or never produced OT figs such as Tarkin or a RFT.  We've all seen customs of them, and they're very cool.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2007, 04:53 PM »

I hate those Episode I cards with a passion, but I'd much rather they did that then taint the vintage line with Prequel characters.

I'd say that sums it up pretty well for me.  I don't really care that much if they make an SA prequel figure on a premium cardback in a clamshell.  There're enough out there that like the prequel stuff, so I understand it.  But I just don't want them to sully the Vintage cardback at all.  Plus there's no need to ding collectors $10 for the premium stuff anyway.  Superarticulation is really pretty pointless in-package.  

And Dan, I know you understand, I just gotta put in my $0.02

Oh, I think the whole appeal will be Ep 1 figs on vintage type cards, or never produced OT figs such as Tarkin or a RFT.  We've all seen customs of them, and they're very cool.

No, actually, I think they look stupid.  There's just no real rationalization for them being on vintage cards.  They're only 8 years old and don't qualify as vintage anything, they're modern era.  I'd be more accepting of unproduced vintage figures because they're from those movies at least.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2007, 06:45 PM »
Who says they needed to be on a vintage style or TPM card? Why can't they be on a basic figure card?
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2007, 06:59 PM »
I'm more accepting of unproduced figures, as they actually make sense...  Sculpts of some of them exist, and sketches of others like Tarkin and the RFT exist I believe, so those things that are "almost made" really I think would be kind of cool in the vintage line, but at the same time I'm tired of the pricepoint.  Pawlus said something about this recently and I tend to agree...  Hasbro's milking the $10 pricepoint for figures you should basically get all the time.  Very few figures in the vintage format really make you feel good about paying $10 for them.

I love Bespin Luke or Hoth Han...  I even like Leia from the first series, and Han, and the Stormtrooper...  All great figures, but any time I reviewed vintage one of my gripes has always been the price is too much.  They're really rarely anymore premium than a basic figure generally is.  Articulation, regardless of Hasbro's bellyaching on the matter, is something you should EXPECT on figures...  I can see the paint aps, at times, but in general they aren't anything more or less than you get with MOST basic figures.  Accessories with the vintage figures are non-exist for many of them too, so really you lose out in some cases, at least with that aspect of cost...

So obviously I'm very against prequal figures at this point showing up crowbarred onto vintage-style cards and costing a premium.  THe "unproduced" idea has a certain coolness to it but obviously I'd like a new Tarkin and Fleet Trooper in the basic line because we deserve that I think.  And I'm still torn on if I'd really be content paying $10 for a Jawa, or Ewok, or Ugnaught, or Rancor Keeper...  So I'm really not sure I even want the vintage line "finished" in this format.  That's my opinion though...  Seems it's going to go against me anyway though, and the vintage line seems to do better at retail than the old Ultra/Deluxe lines have, so I can't say what they're doing doesn't make sense to them.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2007, 11:02 PM »
I think unproduced OT figs in the vintage line is the only way to go.  It's the only way to make it 'special.'  $10 for the same quality fig as in the basic line is unjustified, and if we got Tarkin, Wedge, Slave Leia etc. on vintage cards it would make for a substantial reason to collect them carded.  Otherwise, I'd like to see the whole thing go away.