Author Topic: Lines You Bought...Then Sold/Packed Away  (Read 6121 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Lines You Bought...Then Sold/Packed Away
« on: April 12, 2007, 12:33 PM »
I was curious how many times you've bought into an "other" line, only to either pack it up or sell it later on.  Which lines hooked you, and what made you decide to get rid of them?  I'm kind of bad in that I have portions of a number of lines that have since been packed away (or will be), but I'm not good at actually selling/getting rid of it.  Here's a few lines that I have a least a handful of figures of from the past 5 years or so:

Masters of the Universe
Transformers (only 1)
Justice League/Justice League Unlimited
Marvel Minimates
Zizzle Pirates of the Caribbean
Star Wars Bust Ups
Star Wars (Hasbro) 12"
G.I. Joe (just a few - but I will be picking up the 25th Ann. stuff :P)

I didn't get too deep into any of these lines (probably JLU the most), but I should have just stayed away for the most part.  I have a few of the Bust Ups on display right now, as well as the POTC figures (which I do enjoy, but I should really focus in now).  Star Wars 12", MOTU, Transformers, most of the Minimates (non Spidey), the few Joes, and the rest of the Bust Ups are packed away.  The JLU figures are all set up on one small shelf on our desk, but they may be getting packed up as well.  It isn't necessarily that I dislike any of these lines, but the collection is getting a little cluttered and I need to try to focus in.  For me that means Star Wars and Spidey/Marvel.  Another line I did buy was some of the LOTR figures, but I only ended up getting 9 of them, and have them on display on a shelf of their own.  Those will likely stay, since it is pretty easy to display.  I can't remember all the other lines I've been tempted by (World of Springfield, Muppets, etc.)  Are there any lines you bought into, only to later regret - or not have the room for - and end up selling/packing away?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 12:35 PM by Brian »

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Lines You Bought...Then Sold/Packed Away
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 01:49 PM »
I was totally hooked on the World of Springfield line. I think I had everything up through Series 4. Then the whole Toyfare exclusive Radioactive Homer fiasco hit, and I couldn't find Smithers, and then the Pin pal exclusives, and I just lost all interest. But that Toyfare Homer was the straw that broke the camel's back. So, I just sold it all. Luckily it was a time when these were still going for high prices, so I ended up making a bit of profit, even on the loose stuff. I remember having both a loose and unopened Treehouse of Horrors and they both sold on ebay for a ton more than I paid. I think the boxed one went for close to $120, which is pretty darn good considering I paid like $20 for it.

I also collected the Gundam figures for a time, but soon just couldn't follow all the different lines, so I ended up selling those, too. Probably broke even or came out just slightly ahead on those.

There were also a few minor lines from specific movies that I half-heartedly attempted at collecting. Lost in Space (the movie), Titan AE, and the ReSaurus Virus line were all collected at some point. Spawn stuff was also fun for me, but I think my fascination lasted only a month or so. Ah, the good ol' days when I had disposable income!  :P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 02:25 PM »
McFarlane sportspicks were the kicker for me.  I had all the figures, variant/chase and regular, up until the Third Jersey Patrick Roy came out in series 6.  I was particularly focused on the goaltenders in the various series and even had the repaints of Cujo and Roy from series 1.  When Roy came out and started around $225 in price and just kept going up, I said screw it.  I still have about 20 sportspicks in total, but that's a far cry from buying multiple cases and having nearly 200 in total.  Oops.  Turns out it's for the best, with respect to other severely limited items in the line.  Series 6 had another kicker, the #13 Selanne variation which routinely goes for over $1000.  I'm a huge Teemu fan and have been since his days here in Winnipeg, but $1000 for a figure like that?  Nope. 

Not too much else I've completely abandoned.  I am in the process of offloading Hasbro ships right now.  I still think they're great, but the space consideration overwhelms the need for them.  A few (skiff, Tie Bomber, Y-wing) are giving me fits in parting with them, but I'll get over it. 

I do wish I'd never gathered any LOTR 6" figures.  I was selective, but still haven't even finished a basic line (them dang Hobbitses) of them.  The good news is getting them really cheap will be easy.  The bad news, I'm not even convinced I want what I have in hand and they're largely worthless at this point. 

I handled WOS perfectly though.  I only bought Homer figures and a smattering of a few others that I wanted (Hank Scorpio, Mr. Burns).  Even to the point of getting some of the boxed sets and selling off the other figures in it aside from Homer.  I did this with the Christmas box set.  I did keep all the THOH sets with Homer in them, but didn't buy THOH4 for example.  Remarkable restraint for me really.  I've also picked up the McFarlane Homer figures.  I got the first box for $10 on clearance, haven't bought the second box yet because I haven't seen it clearanced and did purchase the three figures from the new set.  But I won't get anything that doesn't have a Homer in it.  And I really don't feel any need to offload anything here at all.  I would love to display the damn things again though. 

Not really much else I've started in error.  I probably regret some of my star wars purchases more than many of the other line purchases ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 12:59 PM »
I probably regret some of my star wars purchases more than many of the other line purchases

That's a great point Brent, and I think a number of us would probably agree with you.  There are quite a few things that have ended up getting packed into the rubbermaid totes here, and when I go through those sometimes I wonder why I picked them up.  Actually quite a few of the figures from the AOTC time-frame are packed away now.  Not all of them, but quite a few.  Ships are starting to go that route as well.  Not necessarily because I don't like them, but they just take up so much space.

Like you, I never really got into too many of these "other" lines/areas too far - which probably turned out to be a good thing.  Many times I get into things a little late, so I'm behind, so I end up giving up on the line(s).  At this point I'm just trying to streamline, and really give a lot of thought of what I can afford and/or have room for before I start in on another line.  I guess things would be a lot easier if I only had to collect/follow one thing - but we all know that doesn't seem to work out ;).

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 04:37 PM »
Jurassic Park. With no good future in sight for the line, I packed everything into a huge tote, save for 5 dinosaurs and a car. I can't say I miss it a whole lot, and neither does my wallet. It's a shame because there were some good products that could have come from that line that never made it to market.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 11:43 AM »
My main problem is that I'll often buy multiple figures from a line only to get conflicted shortly thereafter and either sell or give them all away to a friend.  I have a very low tolerance for things that I have that I either no longer want or (as is more often the case) I wonder why I bought in the first place.  I have a few non-SW pieces I've held onto over the years, but more often than not, the non-SW stuff goes out the window after a few months.  These have included:

-MAC's Buffy the Vampire Slayer line:  I had pretty much every figure up through the Drusilla/Gentlemen wave, but once Seasons 6 and 7 came out on UPN, I became kind of disgusted with what I thought was the flogging of the show for no apparent reason.  I went ahead and sold the entire line to our very own Ben (Inadvertent Imitation) as I really had no interest in the toys once the show, in my own opinion, had jumped the shark.

-Toy Biz's Spider-Man Classics line:  I just remember being fascinated in 2000 that there was a line of highly detailed action figures with gobs of articulation, and since I was a Spider-Man fan growing up, I figured "what the hell?"  I still think they were great figures, and I only bought a few (red/blue Spidey, black suit Spidey, Daredevil, and someone else I can't recall), but they were caught in one of my grand purges and went the way of the dodo. 

-Playmates' World of Springfield line:  Although it's more a case of only having the characters I really want(ed), there were several characters I would have loved to have had figures of but never got, mainly due to the whole overpriced "playset" factor.  I probably would have gotten every figure in this line had characters like Marge, Maggie, Sideshow Bob, Jasper, etc. been part of the basic figure line and not made as pack-ins.  As it is, mine are now boxed up (with the exception of my carded Troy McClure and my loose Hans Moleman) and in storage.

-Transformers Classics:  A more recent entry, but one that I am pretty sure I'll be hanging on to, if only for the nostalgic appeal.  I didn't get the little Mini-Con things, but I did get all of the basic stuff based on the old characters, along with the TRU Soundwave and the WM Devastator set.  Still, because of room they're in Rubbermaid shoe boxes, but are one of those things I'd display in a second if I had the space to do so.  That said, they probably don't belong on this list.

-Hasbro's SW 12 inch line:  The only SW stuff that I truly regret getting wrapped up in at all.  I have a lot of this stuff, and I'd get rid of 99% of it (read: everything but the bounty hunters and Jango Fett) if I could find a buyer.  Unfortunately, since they're all in storage and would be nearly impossible to sell on a piece-by-piece basis, they'll probably remain in storage for the foreseeable future.

As for non-SW stuff I've gotten that has stayed with me for many years now and will most definitely not be sold, those pieces are limited to the Marvel Legends Series III Magneto, a McFarlane Toys Leatherface figure from "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre", and a McFarlane Toys "Danger Girl" Abbey Chase figure (I'd love to have the other two figures as well at some point).

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 01:17 AM »
I've bought parts of lines before with the original intention of picking up the full line and then not doing it.  Quite a few of those figures are probably still in boxes somewhere! 

I bought into the old Playmates World of Simpsons line but after a couple of waves I finally sold them all on eBay.  Luckily I did it before the bottom fell out of them and I actually made some money that I put towards C2. 

I've bought into other lines that I eventually sold like Marvel Legends, Spawn, and probably a couple I can't think of right now.

I bought most of the Starship Troopers line, I think I'm only missing one figure, and that's all packed away.  I don't have any intention of selling, though, as it's one line I'd like to finish off eventually.

Since even most of my Star Wars collection is stored away it doesn't seem out of the ordinary for the rest of the stuff I own to be packed up as well.   Some day I'll get to have it all out...I hope.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 12:47 PM »
I have a small army (about 2-3 massive boxes) of Spawn stuff that I bought back in the 90's when it was all the rage.  Probably worthless now and I have no room/interest in displaying them. 

For Star Wars, I bought a ton of Lego sets from the first 4-5 waves, but have stopped that as well due to lack of room.   :P
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 04:18 PM »
You know, I don't know what I didn't think of Lego.  I had a nearly complete set of Lego sets up till just before the ROTS release but they were all packed away.  I finally broke them out over the last 6 months, made sure they were complete and together, and sold off all the sets I didn't really care for.

I sold over 30 sets between the RS.com forums and eBay.  I'm even debating selling off some more of the sets that I originally thought I'd hold on to but I'm going to think on it some more.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 04:28 PM »
Thankfully I never got really crazy with Lego.  Aside from a couple of sets I really wanted (Falcon re-release; AT-AT) I've never bought too much.  I'd mostly purchased them to have to build with my daughter when she got old enough to concentrate and understand that doing things a certain way matters, which is about where she is now.  But then my wife kind of jumped on the bandwagon because she realized I didn't buy Lego and she finally had something Star Wars she could buy for me that I probably didn't already have.  So I have more than I want to thanks to her.  Of course I can't unload much of it without serious guilt, so it just hangs around ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 10:41 AM »
Star Wars LEGO is something I always was interested in, but never got into because of price/space.  I could see it being a fun line to collect though.  I was re-arranging our office/collection room this week, and packed up the Justice League Unlimited figures I had.  I really enjoyed that show, and since it was the only (retail) DC line out there that could offer more than Batman and Superman, I got into it for a bit.  Probably 20-30 figures in total, but they are packed away now.  Now I have to decide what to do with everything else, because things are getting crowded :).

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 12:20 PM »
the line i regret buying is the G-1 transformers. now i know i know but these guys came out when star wars was on the decline and where on clearance. i remember going to KB and passing all the 2 for .99 star wars figures and two packs and POTF to get the G-1 stuff. and i wasn't in to it as much and left them seals until my big brother said "if you dint open them i will" so i opened them and left them there on the dresser. one day my cousin asked to play with them and i told him he can take them all to his house and return them to me in a week . well i got about half of them back and some broken pieces. and they have been in boxes since.i still have the boxes and cardback.
He's no good to me open

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 04:33 AM »
I've had quite a few lines that are packed away...

Marvel Legends
Muppets (I should probably get rid of those)
LOTR (only because it's hard to display nearly 100 6" figures and the big guys like Treebeard and Sauron. Can't buy the Balrog since it's so damn huge.)
random McFarlane and NECA stuff
GI Joe
Star Wars (about 99% of my collection is in boxes.  ::) )
MOTU (I had to stop buying the stactions since they don't store well loose)

The only stuff I keep out are my Transformers, because I was relatively discerning when purchasing those. But those are slowly starting to take up a lot of room too.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 12:48 PM »
Star Wars (about 99% of my collection is in boxes.  ::) )

Dude, we have way too much in common.......I'll keep any new SW/TF purchase "active" for a week or two, then it gets boxed up and sent to storage - of which is overflowing at this point unfortunatley...Litteraly - I discovered a cave in this morning and it took me a few hours to get everything set back to where everything should be.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 01:38 AM »
I have to admit, having no room has been the most effective deterrent from me buying more stuff. That and money, of course. I quit ML and (for the most part) Star Wars because of that.
I'm still buying TF and GI Joe, with the occasional MOTU thrown in there. I'm a lot happier this way, too. I wish I could still do SW, but I have too much, they're too difficult to find, and the prices are way too high for my budget now.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk