This is in no real order for me, as it would take a good bit more thinking on my part for that than I care to do right now. I will say, my top three would include Vintage IG-88, Vintage Chewie, and Vintage Stormtrooper I think.
1. Early Bird Chewbacca/VOTC Chewbacca... I'm not going to separate them based on their headsculpts, to me they're simply the single best incarnation of a main character ever created, and truly they're something beyond a toy. They're like little works of art. The sculptor of that figure deserves a round of applause as far as I'm concerned.
2. VOTC Stormtrooper... The Stormtrooper is right up there as far as I'm concerned because he was the first true super articulated army builder in the modern line. He was the figure that set the bar for all future troopers in white armor, and really he set the bar for most other humanoid figures in general. The Clone Wars Clone didn't compare for a few reasons (not the least of which being that OT wins over PT any day). The VOTC STormtrooper though just made any "Trooper" figure with less poseability feel cheap by comparison, and it's been one of the most sorely needed figures out on the pegs since its release.
3. Rebel Honor Guard... The single best rebel figure made so far. He tops any Trooper they've done, and he's also ironically the single best non-armored army builder in the modern line. For a guy with little screentime, the Rebel Honor Guard is also proving to be a hot figure in 2007 despite his status as "boring" to most people. Super articulation except for the ball/socket torso, the Guard is a must have, and if you had a hat for him people would buy that many more I think.
4. McQuarrie Chewbacca... The feakish stylings of the Concept Chewbacca alone make him fantastic. Add to that superb articulation, nice accessories, neat features like a working holster and separately sculpted vest/bandoleir, and then his massive size as a figure, and Concept Chewie is just a nice piece of plastic to buy. I'd say he's so unique he even fits into scenes like the Cantina without looking out of place, and truly is the best of the McQuarrie series figures to me.
5. V30AC Snowtrooper... Super articulation and design that allows very tight movement/angles of the figure's knees and elbows. The cloth skirt allows for maximum poseability, and the removable helmet is simply perfect and allows the figure to look in various directions. Really a nice piece of work, and besides the Clone head underneath he's perfect.
6. V30AC IG-88... Along the lines of VOTC Chewbacca, the IG-88 figure is every bit a work of art as it is a toy. The separately sculpted hoses show that no IG-88 was really truly ever complete. THe sheer number of accessories with this figure are outstanding, and when we found out the mines are removable if you're careful, we found out he's even a greater figure. Add to all this that Vintage IG-88 is the single most articulated figure in the modern line, and he's just a great piece. A must for any collection.
7. Deluxe Durge... Expanded Universe isn't holding this figure back as the great piece of work it is. For $10 you got a big speederbike, 2 pistols, a rifle, a big ass lance, and a figure that redefined the way Star Wars figures would be articulated for years to come. With 12 points of articulation and the incredible use of ball/socket joints all over (and still hiding the articulation points so well), the Deluxe Durge figure is a figure that set the bar pretty high. There's arguably never been such a value for $10 as Deluxe Durge.
8. VOTC Han Solo... At the time, Han really represented everyone's dream come true for a main character. Super articulation, superior sculpting, detail galore, and all on a Han Solo figure. Han really represented everyone's dream come true for the Vintage line, unfortunately not every figure in said line lived up to that expectation.
9. VOTC Boba Fett... Same as above, but put all that anticipation and demand onto the most popular secondary character in the series. Also add a removable jetpack and cloth cape. Fett's re-release was another long-demanded scenario and finally it's happening.
10. Saga Death Star Gunner... The Death Star Gunner in 2006 was out of left field, and proved that Hasbro's ability to revisit a figure you were pretty content with and blow your socks off is really unlimited. The removable helmet and armor, the working holster, the fire hood and sculpt details... Hasbro really took a mundane background Imperial and turned it up a notch. Army Builders went wild in 2006 and 2007.
Ultimately though, my list could probably change some... I made this up fairly quickly.
And to be fair, there are army builders in the prequal lines that really are right up there... The Airborne and Marine are two of my favs I'd say, and the SA AOTC Clone is hands down a fantastic figure. Add to that the Evolutions sets and you've got 9 figures there that are all worth mentioning... The Royal Guard from 2005 was no slouch by any means either, nor were some of the Jedi.
Cantina aliens from the POTC line (all 3), Ephant Mon, and a step backwards to figures like Amanaman and Pote Snitkin are pretty decent though more articulation definitely holds them back.
In 2007 alone though I could list tons of figures I love... The entire vintage run in 2007 is, as far as I'm concerned, the best group of vintage we've gotten. I don't think any year did as well per figure, as there were some flubs in 2004's line and 2006's vintage line had some less than perfect figures. I really feel 2007's were perfect for the most part with only minor things holding them back if anything at all. And the basic line as well has had outstanding figures. From Jawa/Droids, to Stormtroopers, to Rebels and Imperials, to Academy Biggs (how long have we wanted that one?), to Ceremony Luke (despite the skin tone), and more... Hell the whole McQuarrie series!
Lots of figures in this year that I can't get enough of... And army builders... Holy **** are they everywhere and outstanding this year. I dare say they're TOO many. I like to army build but I also need time/$$$ to do it. Every wave has like 2 or 3!