Author Topic: Virginia Tech tragedy  (Read 10051 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Virginia Tech tragedy
« on: April 16, 2007, 03:44 PM »
Another ******* with a gun.

31 dead or thereabouts.   :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Virginia Tech tragedy
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 03:51 PM »
Yeah, pretty upsetting news.  Very sad and prayers go out the victims and their families.

:P

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 04:10 PM »
just read about that now. my prayers are for them.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 04:18 PM »
I'm not a man who does much praying, but I will say I hope he burns in hell.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 04:21 PM »
On my to do list for today was to call a colleague there in student housing and arrange a meeting on his campus for next week. 

Saw the news before I called him.  Figured he had more important things on his plate.

Have heard from him and other friends that work there today, though.  They are doing ok...in shock and hustling to respond.  He did not know at the time if all of their student staff were safe, though.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 04:31 PM »
My wife's stepmother works at VT.  Luckily, we have heard from her, and she is safe.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 05:34 PM »
What is it about the middle of April that makes all the crazies finally flip their wigs?

OKC bombing - April 19, 1995
Columbine - April 20, 1999
V-Tech - April 16, 2007

And also the Waco Branch Davidian thing, that was on April 19, 1993.  Not exactly the same as the others, but it's still a bizarre, entirely unnecessary incident worth mentioning.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 05:35 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 05:47 PM »
What is it about the middle of April that makes all the crazies finally flip their wigs?

V-Tech - April 16, 2007

And also the Waco Branch Davidian thing, that was on April 19, 1993.  Not exactly the same as the others, but it's still a bizarre, entirely unnecessary incident worth mentioning.

Definitely horrible, especially since they were all innocent bystanders to some nutjob's psychosis

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 06:49 PM »
Considering were I live, this was all over the local news, very sad. My brothers friend was in the same building as the gunman, and heard shots, but was okay.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 07:19 PM »
We don't even really know what happened still, but the only account of the shooter that has come out so far is an "asian man in his 20's in a black leather jacket and a red beret".

I don't even want to speculate why this is taking so long, but I'm not sure I buy the "a guy was looking for his girlfriend" explanation for the pile of 33 bodies we have at this hour.

2 gunman at Columbine armed to the teeth were only able to claim 10 victims.  How did a single shooter get 32 others?  That is unheard of.

We wait.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 07:20 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 08:19 PM »
I'm watching the news on MSNBC right now and it's all I can do to not just turn the damn thing off.  There is nothing to go on for teh story yet, so they are just making a story up out of nothing....

they insist that the police cheif and president is "refusing" to confirm whether the shooter in the res hall is the same shooter that they found dead in the engineering bldg.  He has answered "we are awaiting ballistic info to confirm that".  He can't factually say it's the same shooter yet!  Give him a break.

They continue to harp and armchair quarterback that it took two hours to shut down the campus between the two shootings.  I just heard a reporter say "Why couldn't they shut the school down when they can shut a high school down so immediately!"   here's a thought....VA Tech isn't a high school!  It's an organization of some 36000 people on 26 acres.  If a murder of two individuals is found at 7:15 AM, there is NOTHING to indicate a campus attack.  36K people is the size of  a lot of the TOWNS that we live in...does a city shut down when two murders are discovered? 

The campus did the best they could with the info they had.  They found a murder.  They secured the immediate area and began an investigation.  They notified the students as quickly as they could once they had the info.  And then, when things escalated, they ramped up their response appropriately.

The media is really making me sick with their attempts to place blame on the university for the actions of one insane person.  They've spent the day gathering gossip from students who heard from a friend what happened, and now their trying to catch the university in some sort of cover up lie.

This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 08:50 PM »
+1, name. From what I read early (and certainly things could have changed since then), that there was some shooting on one end of campus, and then some at the opposite end. Either he did part of the deed in one place and finished in another or there was more than one, I don't know... and for the media to blame the university lack of action is preposterous! How did they know what was happening? And it's a large campus, it's hard to spread the word unless they had some central lock-down button which they don't.

It's a shame that someone has to take out their frustrations by killing innocent people. Even worse shame that the coward killed himself afterwards. My heart goes out to the families, friends and loved ones.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 09:11 PM »

V-Tech - April 16, 2007

The weather gets a tadbit warmer and they go nutty apparently. 

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 09:15 PM »
I will say I hope he burns in hell

I second that.  I hope the death toll doesn't go up more then where it is now.  Can't see how he could of been the only shooter with the amount of distance and number of dead/injury with this case.  I wish they would find out if the two shootings are related or not.  Hopefully no one decides to copy this *******.  

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 09:18 PM »
Having lived within 10 minutes of Virginia Tech for nearly 4 years, I am absolutely bewildered at what has happened.  For those who have never been to Blacksburg or the surrounding area, it is unbelievable that something this tragic would happen there.  You will never find a more beautiful area, with some of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet.  To see these same people struck with this horror fills me with a large emptiness I can't really describe.  The most equivalent feeling is as if I've been kicked in the stomach, and I've been crying off and on all day since it first happened.  The national news is literally the local news, and vice versa.

I'm stunned.  I guess that's all I can say.   :'(