Author Topic: Virginia Tech tragedy  (Read 10091 times)

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Virginia Tech tragedy
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2007, 11:36 AM »
you can't honestly tell me it's only the young whipper snappers who are bitching at the airport when they have to take their shoes off. 

I know you directed that at Morgbug but this is an open forum. I, for one, never complain at the airports' recent security rules(taking off shoes,jackets ect). I know why we do it so I don't ever complain for the slowdown. Am I dissapointed that I can't go all the way to the terminal anymore to greet my family coming off a plane? Sure-it's sad our previous freedoms are removed from us, but I get why we do it so no complaints.

DS

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2007, 01:19 PM »
you can't honestly tell me it's only the young whipper snappers who are bitching at the airport when they have to take their shoes off. 

I know you directed that at Morgbug but this is an open forum. I, for one, never complain at the airports' recent security rules(taking off shoes,jackets ect). I know why we do it so I don't ever complain for the slowdown. Am I dissapointed that I can't go all the way to the terminal anymore to greet my family coming off a plane? Sure-it's sad our previous freedoms are removed from us, but I get why we do it so no complaints.

DS

I travel a lot, and have the trip through airport security down to a science.  Travel determines which shoes I wear, my watch and whether I'll be wearing a belt or not.  Not everyone knows to remove their laptops and camcorders, and that's alright too.  There's a learning curve to getting the process down.  People still don't understand they cannot take liquids through the security screening area, which is hard to understand based on the news coverage and the many, many signs prior to the cue.  Waiting for them to be talked down from their morning soda is irritating, especially given the TSA's lack of tack in dealing with the public.

Mostly though it's not the inconvenience of taking off ones shoes, it's the absurdity of what they are checking vs. what they are not and can not.  Combine that with the general TSA employee mentality (one step above entry level retail employees, and it's a low step) and you get a pretty stressful environment for people unfamiliar with it.

I'm grateful for the express line for business and medallion level fliers.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2007, 02:26 PM »
the TSA's lack of tack in dealing with the public.

Yes, they do exhibit a lack of tact to be sure. If it is purposeful then I can understand why-but I'm not a TSA so I can't attest if they are trained this way.

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2007, 03:01 PM »
Slothus, are you ******* kidding me?  Glass houses, ass wipe.

I know you directed that at Morgbug but this is an open forum. I, for one, never complain at the airports' recent security rules(takingoff shoes,jackets ect). I know why we do it so I don't ever complain for the slowdown. Am I dissapointed that I can't go all the way to the terminal anymore to greet my family coming off a plane? Sure-it's sad our previous freedoms are removed from us, but I get why we do it so no complaints.

DS

It's probably for the best you cannot meet your family at the gate.  The way you brag about slapping your sister around the TSA would lock you up if you pulled that crap in a terminal.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2007, 03:06 PM »
People still don't understand they cannot take liquids through the security screening area, which is hard to understand based on the news coverage and the many, many signs prior to the cue. 

Whew...glad I read the update before posting...I was all ready to get into the queue to pick at DP's post some more.

:-*

I still await the day when we all are handed paper gowns at the airport check-in.

This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2007, 03:27 PM »
Slothus, are you ******* kidding me?  Glass houses, ass wipe.

I know you directed that at Morgbug but this is an open forum. I, for one, never complain at the airports' recent security rules(takingoff shoes,jackets ect). I know why we do it so I don't ever complain for the slowdown. Am I dissapointed that I can't go all the way to the terminal anymore to greet my family coming off a plane? Sure-it's sad our previous freedoms are removed from us, but I get why we do it so no complaints.

DS

It's probably for the best you cannot meet your family at the gate.  The way you brag about slapping your sister around the TSA would lock you up if you pulled that crap in a terminal.

They'd lock him up only after he tried to toss them through a plate-glass window ::)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2007, 01:31 AM »
Slothus, are you ******* kidding me? 

Yes, duh* ::)

From where I stand..the way you dish it...you live in glass house

definately Whatta puss

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2007, 08:51 PM »
The Day After

Thanks, Brent, for bringing that movie up... I'll be having frakkin nightmares again. I don't know how that would affect me now, but as a 6-7 year old (don't remember when it came out)... that had left an impression on me. That really got the Cold War embedded into me... and the fact there was Red Dawn, Firefox and the Rambo movies... Commies were bad dudes and needed to be blown away...

...at least before I decide to get to know the "enemy" better.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2007, 09:00 PM »
You guys have it easy when it comes to security cheacks at airports.  My dad has a nerve disease called CMT.  He'll be 67 this year, and in order for him to stand, even with crutches, he wears leg braces that run from his ankes all the way up to the top of his thighs.  He has to TAKE THESE OFF AND HAVE THEM SCANNED each time he flies.  He has to essentially take his pants off!   My parents are patient and tolerent, so they understand the reason.  Last time they flew it took the about 45 minutes to get through security, after waiting on the line for 20-25 mintes.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 10:27 PM by speedermike »
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2007, 01:50 AM »
good insight Mike; that must suck..it opens my eyes wider to folks with special situations and how much harder the new rules are on them.