Author Topic: My new Father's Day Book  (Read 3282 times)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
My new Father's Day Book
« on: April 23, 2007, 08:19 PM »
Hello.  I just wanted to let everyone know that my new children's book "You can do Anything, Daddy" is now available.  If you'd like to know more about it, please visit Amazon.com My Book

From the jacket flap..."If your dad is willing to save you from pirates, gorilla pirates, robot gorilla pirates and even robot gorilla pirates from Mars, you know he’ll do anything for you. And if that makes your dad hungry and thirsty or if he gets cuts and bruises, you know just how to take care of him right back. An adventurous tale of the heroic lengths fathers and sons will go for each other that will elicit gasps, giggles and warm contented sighs."

---Mike

« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 11:00 PM by speedermike »
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Re: My new Father's Day Book
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 08:22 PM »
Congrats Mike, I'm not a Daddy, but I'll suggest it to ones I know, for their young ones!

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 09:09 PM »
Can he get his hair to grow back?  I didn't think so. 

And he looks a lot more beat up than the pirates, even though one has a hook and the other an eye patch. 

It also looks like he might need to change the kids diaper after what they went through.  Hopefully he's okay with that.

What's the book about?
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 11:04 PM »

And he looks a lot more beat up than the pirates, even though one has a hook and the other an eye patch. 

It also looks like he might need to change the kids diaper after what they went through.  Hopefully he's okay with that.

What's the book about?

Maybe that's EXACTLY what it's about! Perhaps by the end of the story 'because he can do anything, daddy' he'll have a full head of hair, the kids will have fresh pants on and he'll be in a clean suit with some pirates in the hospital :P ::)

GJ on getting your book made Mike

DS

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 11:52 PM »

What's the book about?

Maybe that's EXACTLY what it's about! Perhaps by the end of the story 'because he can do anything, daddy' he'll have a full head of hair, the kids will have fresh pants on and he'll be in a clean suit with some pirates in the hospital :P ::)

GJ on getting your book made Mike

DS

You told me what might "happen" in the book.  I asked what it was about. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 12:10 AM »
Congrats on the book Mike, for sure...  Always nice to see people getting anything published.

I say here and now though, his hair isn't coming back.  Those infomercials are full of it and that hair-in-a-can spray stuff is just paint.  I'm not bald, but I have my fears and have done my homework.  I have no hopes if I should lose my hair.  Dude should just shave the sides, it always looks better IMO.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 12:59 AM »
Congrats Mike, this must be very rewarding!  Have you published other books?

My daughter is 5 and starting to get interested in "adventures" like this where there is some excitement and action in the story, so I'm going to order one right now.

And I have lots of hair, so I won't feel threatened by his lack of locks.  ;)

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 07:43 AM »
Congratulations on the book -- hope it does well for you.

And I have lots of hair, so I won't feel threatened by his lack of locks.  ;)

« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 07:44 AM by tamidala »
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 10:08 AM »

What's the book about?

At bedtime a little boy asks, "Daddy, if I got taken by pirates would you save me?" This sets off a series of different scenarios, as the pirates morph into gorillas, robots, and robotlike creatures from Mars. As the father gives chase, the obstacles he encounters include jungles, cliffs, tigers, snakes, and vultures. Once the son is rescued, another round of questions describes the medical procedures and equipment (bandages and apple juice, primarily) that would heal the father after his adventures. Kids will enjoy the various changes, which lead from the pirates to the comical interplanetary monsters. The father, depicted in Rex's full-page, comics-style drawings as bald, middle-aged, and clad in a white shirt and tie, overcomes the monsters in an appropriately professional, middle-class way by mesmerizing them with his gold watch. This may have more appeal to would-be heroic dads than their kids, but it should still make for some bedtime story bonding.

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 10:21 AM »
Thanks, Travis.  I saw that review with the other one on Amazon.

My first post can be read as sarcastic, but I'm sincerely interested in hearing from Mike what the book is about.  That write up is still mostly about what happens in the book with a little commentary from the reviewer about what they think it's about.  Mike may have had a totally different intent, and I'm interested.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 10:56 PM »
The reviews are pretty spot-on, especially the one from School Library Journal.  The book really is about how children give back in their own way after watching a parent do anything for them.  It's about my dad.  Me.  My sons.  All that good stuff.  It might even be inspired (now that I think about it) by Luke taking care of his father after he's all beat up and dying. Except my guys live happily ever after.

It's aslo about how a child makes up a story in a very freeform way without a set of rules or specific destinations. 

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 11:19 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, Mike.  I didn't think you had intentionally written the father to solve problems in an "appropriately professional, middle-class way by mesmerizing them with his gold watch" or that you had targeted the piece more "to would-be heroic dads than their kid".

Offline BobaMOTSU

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 07:09 AM »
My mother-in-law got me this.  Our first little girl is due May 19th......

http://www.clearingskies.com/More%20on%20Keeping%20Baby%20Alive.html

I couldn't figure out how to post the book cover.   :-[
"Think he's after your kyr'bes?"
-Mirta Gev

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 09:03 PM »
Deanpaul...yeah. That review is a bit snarky.  It frustrates me when reviewers use a review only to be funny or sarcastic.  I wish that they would say that they liked it or they didin't like it.  I did a race car book back in 2000.  One of the revies I got hated the book because the reviewer essentially hated racing because it was just watching things go "round and round."
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 06:03 PM by speedermike »

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 09:26 PM »
Congratulations Mike!!
Beth