Author Topic: Is Collecting Turning Into "Work"?  (Read 3333 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Is Collecting Turning Into "Work"?
« on: April 26, 2007, 12:16 PM »
I wasn't sure where to post this, because it can relate to any other lines outside of the Star Wars basic line.  If it needs to be moved, feel free.  Anyways, looking at figure collecting the past couple years - along with the plethora of exclusives coming up for C4 and beyond for the various line - it seems like, in some cases, its getting more and more difficult to collect.  Even if you're someone that just orders what you want online, there is still the exclusive issue and some other problems.

I'm not complaining personally, because I've been fortunate enough to stay caught up on things so far this year with a combination of retail and online (primarily BBTS/HTS so far).  I think a lot of times with my retail trips though, I've just been fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time.  If I was only able to stop in stores on weekends - like I did before we moved to a "city" - I think I'd be mostly out of luck.  It just seems like a lot of times if you find something you want (Star Wars or otherwise), you had better buy it when you see it - because it might be awhile (if ever) you see it again.

Like I said, I've had decent luck this year - but you do really have to keep on top of things.  Checking the stores, refreshing the online store pages, and just lucking into things sometimes.  I basically just collect the Star Wars basic figure line (and related things), as well as Spider-Man/Marvel stuff, and a few assorted other things - but it does seem to be true of a lot of lines out there.  I couldn't imagine trying to be a mini bust completist this year especially.  The McQuarrie figures (so far) seem like they are going to be a tough find all year.  Making things worse, we hear of brand new figures exclusive to C4, and it is still up in the air if people not attending will be able to get these (without the help of great people on the forums).  Anyways, there's other examples I'm sure people can give for their various collections (Star Wars or otherwise), but I was just curious if the current world of collecting has taken any of the "fun" out of the hobby for you?  Sure, there is something to be said for finding things on the pegs (I always enjoy that), but I can see how things can be frustrating.  Its to the point now where if I see something "hard to find" or "rare" in any way on the pegs, it seems like some sort of jackpot.  Almost like I don't believe I'm actually seeing anything besides Obi-Wan or R2 :).  Anyways, I'm just wondering if anyone else has felt the stress (well, not necessarily stress, its just a hobby I guess) sometimes of trying to keep up with everything.  It probably doesn't bother more patient people as much.  I'm somewhere in the middle.  I'm patient, but at the same time not patient enough to wait years to get a figure.  I mean, there was a time when some of the buff/ugly POTF2 figures were fetching pretty high prices, and now most can be had for $3 or less.  That might be similar to what the TAC and other lines will see in the future, but I don't think I'm quite that patient overall.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: Is Collecting Turning Into "Work"?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 05:06 PM »
Yes.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 07:06 PM »
ditto.

That being said, the hunt can be awful work, but it can also be part of the fun. It can be a lot of work sometimes, I'll tell you that!
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 08:06 PM »
Not really, as I am very selective and just pick and choose figures and vehicles that I want.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 08:23 PM »
Eh, I'm not really supposed to be spending much mula on these.  So, for me no.  However, I am working hard to find an Airborne Trooper.  That's work. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 10:16 AM »
Keeping the collection organized, packed and out of everyones way is work for me. Especially as I acquire more stuff.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 11:27 PM »
I had this conversation with Neal on AIM after I was done bashing that fraud and phony you all know as Dwyane Wade, and basically I've been in alternating moods of jubilation and disgust as my 2,000+ loose Star Wars figures clutter the floor of 2 bedrooms now that I've mounted 14 x 4' shelves and am finally organizing them so I can get to displaying my ****.

My God I have spent a lot of money and accumulated an enormous amount of figures.

I've now spent the first week basically unmotivated and still kinda disgusted by it all.  But I think I'm finally starting to turn the corner as I sit here looking up at the wall I've started and see how cool the first 500 of these figures look displayed.  I guess I'm about 25% there  :o

Anyhow, that's my "work" at this time.  Or burden rather.  It's just all very overwhelming.  It sounds like a fun project, but it sorta sucks at the same time.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 11:30 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 01:11 AM »
Sometimes...  after the Q&A is done and you are left wondering if they are anywhere NEAR the same wavelength at Hasbro as collectors are, at all.  Those times I really look at things like a chore...  Obviously this applies to a variety of aspects collectors have on the line though...

-Playsets, in any capacity... 
-Ships and the frustrations surrounding them (from variety to accuracy, etc.)
-The figure(s) you want the most (From ICMG to Rebel Fleet Trooper resculpts)
-Articulation (they know it's something adults and kids alike enjoy, but they short it in the most curiously dumb ways...  ankles on Mc3PO but no knees?  Huh?)

Then just little things...  Death Star Troopers and X-Wing Pilots that are seemingly too tall, answers that "oh that figure is fine and it does all you want of course", even though the figure's sculpt is dated, or it's tough to stand up, or it's under articulated by today's standards, or whatever issue may plague said figure...  yet, "we've got a new Gungan coming, don't you worry", or "how about that great new Naboo Soldier!?  Awesome huh?  Yeah you know you wanted an army of this guy". 

These things, are the things that really can make you question why you're here and caring.  These and exclusives that make you pull your hair out, haha...  But these make this hobby more like a chore.  Not work, because work is fruitful.  A chore...  Chores can be done and you feel like you didn't earn anything and you didn't accomplish anything (for yourself anyway).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 07:30 AM »
Yes. And with multiple lines, it is like having multiple jobs.

I agree with Darth Anton, the collection itself is turning into work. I organize, box, bag, fill out spreadsheets, struggle with keeping it out of the way of the rest of the house, and agonize over the time and money spent getting it all.

I've been working this job since '95. I put in enough hours last year to get over 200 figures, and countless other things. This year I said goodbye to the basic figure line, and I'm taking a figurative axe to the existing collection. I want it to be a size I can enjoy and manage without taking time away from my family. I will still have more toys than any grown man should, but I want to see my collection halved by the end of '07. Other things will simply go in boxes to be rediscovered down the road.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 07:08 PM »
In a way, it's always been "work."  That's why it's collecting as opposed to just buying.  At times it's a drag. I agree that hasbro still has little clue as to what collectors really want.  But they're getting better.  But when I see something like McChewie, or CZ-3, it's totally worth it.

And as far as something like the McQuarrie 3P0/R2, well, there are certain toys that just aren't available to everyone.  Even back in 1998, when the Wal-Mart Jabba's Band  figures hit, there were no Wal-Marts within (I'm guessing...) 50-75 miles of where I lived. (NYC)  Now there's a few more.  If you want it all, every now and then you'll have to turn to a secondary market.  Hell, paying 30-40 for that set on Ebay will be a lot cheaper than going to LA for the weekend!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 10:50 PM by speedermike »
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 10:03 PM »
Sometimes,It's a bit demanding especially if you're trying to find figures,I've been fortunate once this year :P the pegs are full with figures that 1.People have already got(my case),or 2.They don't want them.I don't know what it's like in your guys area. we've got a lot of problem with scalpers.They jack their price to 15.00-25.00 depending on the figure >:( :P It makes it very discourging,and aggrevating
I'm pleased with the variety of figures,but most of the time I can't find them.Then it really feels like work :P
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline poddie

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 3, 2007, 12:32 AM »
Wish I had read this thread before posting her:

Part 14 of my rant on the stupid exclusives

Short answer... Hasbro has me reconsidering this whole hobby for two exclusive figures.  A month and a half ago I was more excited than ever.  I have been dutifuly ordering cases at EE as soon as they're up for preorder, as figures on shelves are unheard of in my area.  Now I am within an inch of canceling them all.

Strange how much can change in a month and a half based on two boneheaded decisions.